Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
CptSternn

John McCain, est. 1840: Ill-advised timeline points up candidate's age

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/usa/2008..._campaign.html

One of John McCain's campaign weak spots is his age, so cruelly mocked by Paris Hilton earlier this week. With that in mind, was it really a good idea for his website to include this timeline?

http://www.johnmccain.com/McCainTimeline/

You could understand it if it compared the Arizona senator's lifetime of service to the United States as a soldier and politician with the more slight life experience of Barack Obama, who is 25 years his junior.

But it doesn't. Instead the timeline is matched to US history, and stretches back to 1840, leading the casual reader to assume McCain is a sprightly 168 years old.

As such, it includes the American civil war, the Spanish-Amercian war and the 1871 Chicago fire, as well as the birth of "Slew" McCain, the Republican candidate's grandfather, in 1884. Even ignoring the events that took place before McCain's birth, the timeline can't help but draw attention to the fact that the young McCain lived through not just the second world war but also the Great Depression.

To make matters worse, the whole thing is navigated using a "time shuttle", which makes it sound like the reader is travelling back to the stone age. If this is their idea of presenting their candidate in a good light, it's probably best all round that the McCain campaign is mainly concentrating on attacking his opponent.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
CptSternn

With the new election season kicking into high gear, I thought I'd post interesting and humorous articles here.

Did anyone NOT see the ad they are on about? I'll have to dig up the link to that as well, as it was kinda funny.

That being said, is McCain trying to lose? The Daily Show said the same thing, that he was intentionally looking like a feeble old man to get a sympathy vote, but seriously, so far every PR attempt he has made has backfired. Of course, so far those attempts have all been personal attack ads...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
PortraitOfSanity

I live in Illinois, so I'm pretty much don't see any campaign ads whatsoever (Illinois hasn't voted Republican in a presidential campaign since, I believe, Reagen, so the Republicans regard us as a waste of money) unless I go on Youtube and look for them, which I'm usually too lazy to do.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Serephurus

lol It didn't help when asked about gay rights he said they didn't deserve any rights, yet he believed in no discrimination for them, but he was contradicting himself. Also he seemed rather trigger happy to go to war with Russia by supporting Georgia. Apparently him and Georgie ol' Pal wanna spread their message of hope and love and liberty by it growing out of the barrel of a gun.

So in short, McCain is a fuckin dumbass! He's too much like George Bush, which has very low support as a leader. If America has half a brain, they would not vote for him. At least Obama wants to change America and make people have equal rights and he wants to help our economy and bring us to peace. I don't give a damn if they haven't officially told us how they will do it, I just want someone that I can believe in as a leader. I want someone that is enthusiastic about changing the nation for the better. I want someone that is charismatic and exciting. I want someone that can make this election actual American history, with it moving forward instead of not moving or moving backwards.

Besides Benjamin Franklin once said "Any society that gives up liberty for a little extra security deserves neither and will lose both."

That said, America fucked up when they passed the Patriot Act, now they're trying to put censorship on the web. I'm not a fuckin terrorist. I'm a fuckin human being. I have my own fuckin right to my fuckin privacy and my fuckin ideas. I am old enough to know what the fuck is okay for me to view and what the fuck isn't.
Serephurus is offline   Reply With Quote