Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #1626
Fruitbat

AD - Yum! thanks :-D I'm going to try that one tomorrow.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #1627
honeythorn

A friend of my mother's who I recall meeting only once a long time ago, stopped me in the street today, and said she couldn't believe how much weight I'd lost and that I looked really great

It made me feel pretty good despite having still more to lose, and when I weighed myself on the digital scales in the mall, I found I've lost 3 lbs ! The Capsiplex is working it seems !
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #1628
Ben Lahnger

The Atkins Diet is working for me, except when I'm hanging out with friends and they're munching on forbidden carbs like potato chips, cheesy garlic bread, pizza and french fries. And don't get me started about the alcohol! Ack!

However, when I go home and weigh myself on the scale in the morning, those feelings are well offset by the satisfaction I get from seeing the continuing weight-loss progress. And I will get to the point where I can enjoy those things again in time ... in moderation.

*edit* Oooh! I just found an Atkins friendly pizza recipe! Guess what I'm cooking later! LOL!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #1629
honeythorn

I've been reading up on Paleo type diets. Our digestion hasn't really altered that much since the Paleo period, and I'm on a diet forum with a section devoted to those types of eating/lifestyles.

The people posting all seem to have one thing in common, and that is that they feel really very good indeed, now they've drastically reduced or completely removed grain based foods and most dairy from their diet. It's mostly lean meats, organ meats, Game meats , fruits and vegeies. Legumes seem to be severely restricted or removed completely. As are Potatoes ( mildly poisonous apparantly )

It's quite interesting and I'm going to try and lean my diet further and further in the direction of Paleo. Not sure if I'll make it the whole hog but the further the better.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #1630
Sinjob

Nick Drake has made my musical ears' day. He was the ultimate stoner to me, haha. But just hanging out in nothing but sweatpants and jamming. Brotha.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #1631
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Glad to have made your day. The ditty does not belong to me, but to Bart Simpson. I sing it every time I eat baked beans :-D
Ms. Bat, I'm sorry, but I don't believe Bart Simpson is the originator of the beans song. My siblings were singing it back when they were kids in the 60s I think. Off to go Google, and please accept my apologies in advance if I"m mistaken of the origins of this delightful melody! =)
Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #1632
Ben Lahnger

Cara, nope, you're not wrong ... that tune has been around a long time, says the guy who was singing it well before Bart Simpson was just a gleam in Matt Groening's eye!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #1633
vindicatedxjin

I went to my local natural food market and bought a bunch of delicious fruits and a veggies... I'm starting a juice fast and I'm actually excited about it.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #1634
Pooka

Watching my sister and my best friend dance like idiots...
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #1635
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
Ms. Bat, I'm sorry, but I don't believe Bart Simpson is the originator of the beans song. My siblings were singing it back when they were kids in the 60s I think. Off to go Google, and please accept my apologies in advance if I"m mistaken of the origins of this delightful melody! =)
Can I just say in my defence that I had a very sheltered childhood and Bart was the first person I heard sing the song - but I think I have heard it on other TV shows - older ones since.

I'm pretty slack with only a secondary reference to the musical tune. I should have followed my references back to it's source, but, well, what can I say - I'm just slack :-D *blushes*

It's a classic. It will still be around in centuries to come. Archeologists will dig up references to it in 3,000 years and wonder wha the significance is behind the lyrics. People will built museums, based on beans being magical fruit and there will be little plastic boxes with models of beans. School children will look on with awe (and boredom), wondering why on earth they were dragged to a bean museum when they could be at home playing guitar hero 1,000,000.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #1636
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I've been reading up on Paleo type diets. Our digestion hasn't really altered that much since the Paleo period, and I'm on a diet forum with a section devoted to those types of eating/lifestyles.

The people posting all seem to have one thing in common, and that is that they feel really very good indeed, now they've drastically reduced or completely removed grain based foods and most dairy from their diet. It's mostly lean meats, organ meats, Game meats , fruits and vegeies. Legumes seem to be severely restricted or removed completely. As are Potatoes ( mildly poisonous apparantly )

It's quite interesting and I'm going to try and lean my diet further and further in the direction of Paleo. Not sure if I'll make it the whole hog but the further the better.
I don't mean to pick on you but I was a physical anthropology major and paleo diets are completely bullshit. Our digestion HAS changed dramatically since the lithic period (no such thing as the "paleo period"), and there's no one diet that everyone has eaten back then. And more or less, our diet was about 80% plant until after World War II, depending on the area you're from (like the Inuit traditional diet is very heavy in meat since nothing grows up there, but its one of the factors why Inuit die sooner than other Canadians, including other Native groups. They're the closest to the so called paleo diet.) As for tubers like potatoes, they were probably extremely important in our evolution since they're so high calorie when you cook them. Cooking in general is the coolest thing we've invented.

Look at it this way, we've only been drinking dairy for ten thousand years and we've mutated in that time to digest lactose long after we've needed to. Same with grains, although I know paleo people like to say that grains cause diabetes (you know, not our lifestyle or horrible sugary diets). Thats just since we invented agriculture, you can't say that we haven't evolved or we don't continue to do so. Its backwards thinking.

Plus, like I said, the lithic period was the period that went up to ten thousand years ago, before agriculture. We've been eating tubers for millions of years, potatoes as we know them were probably eaten in Peru around that time. And potatoes are nightshades, they're only poisonous if they grow in sunlight. You ever see a french fry that has a green spot on it? The green spot is the poison part, and you have to eat a ton of it to get sick.

I'm ranting because what made my day was going to Chapters with friends, and there's a Starbucks in Chapters and we were thirsty and I saw they have soy milk now so I got a mocha frappuccino and I haven't had caffeine in months other than the odd soda and now I'm TOTALLY HYPER but in a good way. I can go run a marathon or write another ten pages about about fad diets! WHEEE!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #1637
Fruitbat

Saya - I can hear the caffiene running through your veins :-D

What made my day was a morning cuddle with 18mth old.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #1638
Saya

Too bad its Sunday though because most places are closed, I got nothing to do but stay at home and I can't think of anything I can do here that I can use this energy to do other than sit and chat and play on the computer. I feel like Lisa Simpson when she had the pep pills, thats pretty much how I'm speaking right now.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #1639
Fruitbat

*tehehehe* Caffiene has the same affect on me. It's my party drug of choice.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #1640
Saya

OMG I should drink frappuccinos at the next party I'm at. I'm not a fun drunk because it makes me sleepy and shy, but this is making me quite social.

Did I mention we went around Chapters after talking like Christopher Walken? It was magical.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #1641
Fruitbat

Christopher Walken!? Sigh. He's played some really cool characters. He's on my crush list. What is he like?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #1642
Saya

He was such a babe when he was younger. And he's obsessed with cats, a quality I like in anyone. He's so fricken weird though.

Ever see the Spoony videos where he played the Ripper? I tried finding a copy of the game but I can't. Walken is glorious in that. "This guy...is un FUCKING believable."
Old 08-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #1643
Ben Lahnger

I've been tinkering with my Nintendo DS. With an AceKard 2 loaded with an 8GB micro SD card, I've been able to cram 80 different game roms onto it; I shouldn't run out of things to play any time soon. So I'm stoked about that!

Plus I've put the MoonShell2 media player on it, so I can play the approx 200 MP3's I've added if I need a music source in a pinch. And MoonShell2 will also play videos, so I've topped the card off with 6 episodes of Archer, 3 episodes of MST3K, 5 episodes of The IT Crowd and the movies Serenity and Spiderman 2.

Now if I can just keep the battery charged! LOL!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #1644
Saya

Have you played Hotel Dusk yet? I think that's my favourite DS game. Its a "visual novel" type game but it pulls it off really good.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #1645
Hearts_Purple

Spending the day with my babies & husband. ^_^
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #1646
The Divine Ms. M

last night made up for the past two days quite nicely...

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #1647
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Have you played Hotel Dusk yet? I think that's my favourite DS game. Its a "visual novel" type game but it pulls it off really good.
I haven't tried Hotel Dusk yet, but I could load it up. It's a fairly large file size compared to the average game so it would displace a couple other things, but I think I would like a game of that type in the mix.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I get into it, I'll update you in the "what games are you playing" thread in the "TV, Movies, & Games" section.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 AM   #1648
Fruitbat

Going to the gym.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #1649
ape descendant

.... this "re-edition" of Dune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jg...os=dp5y70b8S40

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #1650