Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

View Poll Results: Worst Band Ever
Good Charlotte 48 28.92%
Creed 15 9.04%
Clay Aiken 29 17.47%
Guns and Roses 7 4.22%
Rap 67 40.36%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #76
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessBathory
I don't know if you watch Conan O'Brien, but they had a fantastic skit with the Oscillating Air Purifier that Looks Like Slash. Just an air purifier with a black curly wig, top hat, and a cigarette in it's filter playing "Sweet Child of Mine". Good stuff.
Nope, I haven't heard of that show but it sounds like something I would laugh once I watch it!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #77
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubedo
yeah the air purifier skit rocked...anyways.....im open minded so i listen to some weird shit...anime soundtracks and korean rap and the like....i voted for good charlotte...and all rap is knot bad...you've just got to find good rap...i personally like a certain calibur of it...gorillaz=goodness
I do listen to a bit of rap from time to time, just not too much. Most of the rap produced today is too superficial and belong to the clubs, where you can get drunk with the music playing. Today, theres too many rap singers who have become famous for the wrong reasons, or don't deserve the level of fame they have gained.

So 'I'm a criminal and I rap about hoes n' sex'....its these type of rappers that give actual talented rappers a bad name.

Generally speaking, I think that rap in today's society has lost its 'rawness'. I prefer old school rap where at times you can find some kind of raw concealed in the song.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #78
Katshin88@Gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Caligari
Does anyone notice the wave of absolutely awful bands that come out once and a while, become REAL popular in the mainstream, then die out when the next one comes out? They all basically sing about the same things, and all the lead singers have almost the EXACT identical voices. (It's scary.) Bands like Blink 182, Yellowcard, Good Charlotte, Sum 41. Those bands are the worst.

MCR is pretty awful...

Then there are bands like Cradle of Filth, and other Satanic Metal bands that shouldn't even be categorized as music. Also, of course, we have Slipknot and the rest of the Nu-Metal garbage.

Modern country has gone to shit too....
Yeah, whatever happened to the bands that revolutioned music rocked out loud, or at least made you think like The Doors, Black Sabbath, or Jimi Hendrix Band. *sigh*

The band I vote for?

*drum roll*

The Used

Sorry don't mind the drumroll, I'm just corny like that.
Katshin88@Gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #79
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katshin88@**********
Yeah, whatever happened to the bands that revolutioned music rocked out loud, or at least made you think like The Doors, Black Sabbath, or Jimi Hendrix Band. *sigh*

*thumbs up* to Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #80
Loy

Will give the thumbs up for Sabbath.....despise the fucking Doors (they probably would've been good if they'd have dropped that Morrison fucker like they originally wanted to. I mean, c'mon, if you're gonna base your whole persona around Arthur Rimbaud, the first thing you should do is be a talented writer. And if you're gonna base a song around a Celine novel, at least make it good), and Hendrix, whilst one of the most talented musicians ever, also happened to be one of the shittiest songwriters of all time. I mean, the only songs of his that were amazing were the Dylan covers. Everything else sounds like filler/padding around the guitar playing.

rockandrose-there are plenty of Rap artists out there who ARE amazing, but the majority of them don't get the exposure they deserve. Mos Def is a great example of this (seriously, he and Isaac of Modest Mouse are the two best living lyricists working in music), as are Dilated Peoples, Swollen Members, the Roots, Jurrasic 5, Danger Doom, Little Brother, Darkleaf, and of course the offshoots of the Wu-Tang crew (especially GZA), and, as much as I hate to admit it, Eminem (who's pretty much the modern Andy Warhol).
Old 11-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #81
CountessBathory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
Will give the thumbs up for Sabbath.....despise the fucking Doors (they probably would've been good if they'd have dropped that Morrison fucker like they originally wanted to. I mean, c'mon, if you're gonna base your whole persona around Arthur Rimbaud, the first thing you should do is be a talented writer. And if you're gonna base a song around a Celine novel, at least make it good), and Hendrix, whilst one of the most talented musicians ever, also happened to be one of the shittiest songwriters of all time. I mean, the only songs of his that were amazing were the Dylan covers. Everything else sounds like filler/padding around the guitar playing.

rockandrose-there are plenty of Rap artists out there who ARE amazing, but the majority of them don't get the exposure they deserve. Mos Def is a great example of this (seriously, he and Isaac of Modest Mouse are the two best living lyricists working in music), as are Dilated Peoples, Swollen Members, the Roots, Jurrasic 5, Danger Doom, Little Brother, Darkleaf, and of course the offshoots of the Wu-Tang crew (especially GZA), and, as much as I hate to admit it, Eminem (who's pretty much the modern Andy Warhol).
By "modern Andy Warhol" do you mean someone who admits they aren't really an artist and are just doing it for the money, or someone who everyone says they like just because its popular?
CountessBathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #82
cannibalnuns

I can think of way to many........... But perhaps I will start of withthe Bay City Rollers or either ICP to be more modern.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #83
Souldburned

I don't mind Slipknot, seriously, Vermilion Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 are one of my favorite songs. About other kinds of music, I don't like Rap so it's the worst for me. Of course it's only my opinion and I'm sure that there is good Rap for the persons who like Rap music.
Souldburned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #84
blackdragon

any kinda rap...its meaningless and idiotic
blackdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #85
Katshin88@Gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon
any kinda rap...its meaningless and idiotic
Besides the mainstream have you ever listened to the old school and underground stuff? Just wondering.
Katshin88@Gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #86
Loy

By "Modenr Wathol", I mean somebody who makes "fucking with the masses through the tweaking of their public persona" an artform unto itself.

As far as Warhol saying he wasn't an artist....well, I'm somebody who only fairly recently recanted my view of Warhol being a scammer who knew how to market (my mind was changed after a 12 hour argument with my buddy Terry. And the fact that Terry could change my mind about anything is why he's also now part of the SIFF pre-screening group), so please bear with this-Warhol (and really all the Pop Artists, but Warhol more so because of his popularity) made somebody who looked at their works reconsider their points of evaluation as to whether what they were seeing was art or not. And anybody who could make art consumers do that on a consistent basis is pretty worthy of the "artist" tag as far as I can see.

The Eminem comparrison is how many personas he takes on on an album....hell, even within a song....and how superfluously they blend and ncontradict each other, so one person can see him saying one thing, and another person can see something totally different.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #87
Loy

Oh yeah, before I forget...."I'm only in it for the money"....it's called sarcasm, baby.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #88
WolfMoon

Loy, Dylan blows goats.

Hendrix made his songs better.

I'm voting Bob Dylan and Neil Young as two of the worst whiny musicians out there. I would say Eric Clapton too, but someone might string me up somewhere.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #89
Queenofdarkness57

How about Shakira? Damn, I'd say she's the most annoying one till now!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #90
Saya

Maroon 5. I don't know what it is, but I feel like killing something everytime I hear one of their songs. I don't like the Killers, but I don't think they are quite bad enough to be called the worst band ever. I think I just resent the fact they say they're original when really they copy old eighties bands.

As for rap, most popular artists are crap with the same song over and over, but I really love K-OS, his lyrics are thoughtful and original.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #91
succubus,queenofvampires

I just hate Lindsay Lohan,Hilary Duff,ana all these actresses-turned- singers.They just don't know how to sing and their voices suck.They'ra actresses already,why become singers too?especially if they have to completely computerize your voice in order to sound ACCEPTABLE!
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #92
Eforce

What about Ashlee Simpson, she doesnt even know how to sing
Eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #93
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
Wow. So no one brought up Stryper, eh?

They rock out for the lord...

I'll throw in Winger with their lead man's luminescent teeth. They light up my nights. "Sheeeee's only seventeeeeeen...*seventeen*...."
if i didn't lust the shit out of you before, i do now.

i logged onto this thread specifically to drop the name of 'winger'. already done, thanx to you.

i liked stryper, though. 'yellow and black attack' was a cool album back in the day. their heavy metal rendition of 'mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord' kicked ass.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #94
pitseleh

Ha ha ha! Stryper are funny. I heard some of their songs for the first time a couple weeks ago. "To Hell with the Devil" and "In God We Trust", it was. Definitely a christian hair-metal band, all right. But to my surprise, it was far better than I expected! Definitely not the worst band in the world.

I don't know who qualifies for that in my book... Will have to think on that one at some instance.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #95
Beowulf

Linkin Park are the worst band ... ever !!!
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #96
Eforce

Hey nobody thinks Ashlee simpson sucks as hell? she doesn't even know how to sing
Old 02-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #97
Eforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I think we haven't even considered her as a "band" or a "performing artist". She's just a stupid person who happens to "sing".
She's just a girl with money and age to do what she does...

Ps: I loved your answer very smart!
Old 02-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #98
Eforce

Quote:
She's just a girl with money and a famous sister. Who would she be if Jessica hadn't come first?
Jessica at least knows how to sing, and has a life. Ashlee is a disgrace for the music... i once listened to a song she sang live, i was about to go to the bathroom to throw up the food i was eating... it was disguting, yet a bit funny at the same time...
Old 02-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #99
Saya

Sssshhh, if you ignore her, perhaps she'll go away. And maybe Jessica can sing, but she's just as annoying as her sister.

As long as you're on the topic of horrible singers, don't forget that Paris Hilton is supposed to come out with an album any time now. Do you need to hear it to know how awful its gonna be?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #100
Saya

Quote:
Are you kidding? That's got to be a joke.

For fuck's sake, Paris. Money does not = talent.
Unfortunately, she's been working on it for some time. She got pissed a while ago because she found out Hailey Duff covered the same song she covered (I was watching year-end specials on MuchMusic during Xmas vacation). Apparently a lot of big names helped her out, like Snoop Dogg.