Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Alkali Girl

Angry Maybe I just have it coming, but still...

I am getting really, REALLY irritated at people's reaction to the fact that I am naturally blonde, but dye my hair black. If I let my roots grow in a little, and people notice, they are downright SHOCKED. I am aware that blonde is the standard of beauty in our society (whether you like it/know it/agree with it or not), but that doesn't mean that it's what I want. If I were naturally brunette and dyed my hair blonde, they wouldn't think anything of it. Instead, it's the other way around, and I wouldn't mind so much if the reactions weren't so extreme. No matter how I explain it, people will not even begin to accept it. Ex: My eyebrows are naturally dark brown. "So?" My hair isn't a very pretty shade of blonde, more like a light brown, but it's kinda ugly, in my opinion (which, by the way, is the only one that counts). "Yeah? So?" I think black looks better on me. "No, I think blonde would look better on you." No you don't, you think blonde would look better on anyone. In any case, it's MY HAIR. Not yours. Therefore, I will do what I please with it. Again, I wouldn't mind if the reactions were less extreme, or if PEOPLE I BARELY KNOW would stop insisting that I change it back. Seriously. It is MY HAIR. Urgh.

This seems like a really bizarre thing to me, because nobody has an issue with my stompy boots or my cat eyeliner or anything else regarding the way I look. I get the occasional question about these things (some stupid, some not), but nobody tries to change it, ESPECIALLY with such persistence that I've experienced regarding my hair. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't mind the attention itself (which I knew I should expect when I first got into the subculture). Am I ass-backwards here? Is this just something else I should take in stride, or is it excessive of people to be so concerned with something as trivial as someone else's hair color?
Alkali Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
carakitty

Just ignore those overbearing shits.
Show them your best black-lipped grin and move on.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Cosmicgaunt

I don't like blonde hair. :]
Cosmicgaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
the-nihilist

OMFG you dye your hair black when it's naturally blonde?! WTF is wrong with you?!?!?!
Old 11-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Alkali Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
Just ignore those overbearing shits.
Show them your best black-lipped grin and move on.
Bahaha...thanks...but I also get it from people who DO know me, and who should know better, so that makes it harder.
I was about to say something about how I should complain less, but then I remembered that this is the whining forum. *shrugs*.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
Catch

I agree it is your hair and you should be able to do what you want. However, I bleached my hair blonde once and everyone harassed me. My boyfriend broke up with me and my family asked why I wanted to blend in with the walls. So blond equaling beauty is a dangerous statement.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Alkali Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
I agree it is your hair and you should be able to do what you want. However, I bleached my hair blonde once and everyone harassed me. My boyfriend broke up with me and my family asked why I wanted to blend in with the walls. So blond equaling beauty is a dangerous statement.
Oh wow...that's terrible...

I didn't mean that "blonde=beauty," necessarily, I just meant that it seems to be what most people prefer (or would expect someone to prefer). Just...wow...I can't believe they did that, and I didn't mean to offend you at all...
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkali Girl View Post

I didn't mean that "blonde=beauty," necessarily, I just meant that it seems to be what most people prefer (or would expect someone to prefer). Just...wow...I can't believe they did that, and I didn't mean to offend you at all...
No, you don't know catch, she deserved it.

About the hair thing, get used to it. People will always give you grief for deviating from the norm, because people are sheep.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Catch

Quote:

That's fine, Basic Tree Magic states that the beautiful people of ancient Ireland had red hair and green eyes. So seriously, people don't care. Another part of the story involves meeting a new boyfriend that turned on me when I dyed my hair back to its natural auburn, chestnut coloring.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
That's fine, Basic Tree Magic states that the beautiful people of ancient Ireland had red hair and green eyes. So seriously, people don't care. Another part of the story involves meeting a new boyfriend that turned on me when I dyed my hair back to its natural auburn, chestnut coloring.
Maybe it's because you're repulsively stupid, notably unpleasant to look at, and bat shit crazy
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 11-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
carakitty

Quote:
Bahaha...thanks...but I also get it from people who DO know me, and who should know better, so that makes it harder.
I was about to say something about how I should complain less, but then I remembered that this is the whining forum. *shrugs*.
So don't acknowledge the hair comments from those who should know better. Change the subject. Find something about THEM to pick on back if retaliation is your cup of tea.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Maybe it's because you're repulsively stupid, notably unpleasant to look at, and bat shit crazy
Whatever.

You shouldn't let the hair thing bother you, but seriously men are very superficial. I guess I understand. Suposedly we should all be friends and so they want to marry a woman who is attractive. They never notice we are not friends, especially after dating. Actually, I can't think of any guy who doesn't mess up any potential for relationships because they want to have sex.

So, if you can keep up on dying your hair, do it! People's opinions do change according to hair color, so your parents are not stupid.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
PersephoneX

Mine is a mousy blonde and curly. i straighten it, and i used to dye it red/black regularly. My parents hated it black, but i liked it that way. Right now, i couldnt be bothered what colour it is. People in my industry take note of what we look like and tend to judge our abilities on that. They take me far more seriously when i look like one of them.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
Still Jack

Yo, These brownies are the mother fucking shiiittttt.

Edit: Oh, yeah, Shut the fuck up, no-one cares about your pathetic life. Peace out.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 AM   #15
Apathy's_Child

Who said blond = society's standard of beauty? I mean, personally I think most goths look fucking stupid, but that's not the fault of dark hair. Maybe the dye just looks really shitty and obvious on you and that's why everyone is trying to subtly convince you to go natural.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #16
Joker_in_the_Pack

Alright OP. Apathy brings up a valid point.

Let me ask you, how does your hair look? Do you look like yo have smooth, natural black hair, or do you look like Cher?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Catch

I am in no way saying she should go back to her natural hair color. Doing some research by looking at her website, if you don't post a pic of yourself, maybe your just saying I want to blame changing my appearance on other people.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #18
Necrophagist

I think the OP should just flip them all off and run away lolz.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #19
Tam Li Hua

Yeah, I've never understood the obsession with blonde hair either. :/

Mine's that weird dark blonde some call "dirty" or "dishpan", and I hate it! I prefer for my hair to be dark red, or blue, or black, or really any other color besides blonde. >_<
Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
Tam Li Hua

Catch: I think you need to find a better class of dating material. :/ Whether they're using that as an excuse or because that's actually how they feel, it's a pretty low reason to break up with someone.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
...but seriously men are very superficial.
I'm going to state the obvious here. =P

*ahem*

Not all men are superficial, just as all women are not deep, soulful creatures. You'll find a mix of both types...and varying degrees of both types...in both sexes/genders.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
Catch

No, it is superfical. I think the same way. The person I would marry should be special; however, as a woman I am willing to shoot down any guy by saying he's a good friend and then continue to call them and hangout even though we have no common hobbies or work associations. Feel the superiority of All Women!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #23
JCC

Quote:
No, it is superfical. I think the same way. The person I would marry should be special; however, as a woman I am willing to shoot down any guy by saying he's a good friend and then continue to call them and hangout even though we have no common hobbies or work associations. Feel the superiority of All Women!
Stop acting like you've ever had any man wrapped around one of your pudgy digits, you're an animated aborted fucking foetus.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
honeythorn

I'm naturally a medium blonde. No one really cares what colour I dye my hair, but people who don't know me well, or who have recently met me refused to believe I am blonde, until I dug out a picture of me when I was 18 and had not dyed my hair black ( it's currently dark red )

I do have naturally darker eyebrows than my hair, which may be why people don't believe my natural hair colour.

But seriously it's just hair. Yours to be precise. If people tell you to dye it blonde tell them to eff off, and that you prefer it the way it regardless of their opinion. It may well indeed look shitty on you, who knows? But it's your problem not theirs. No need to get so worked up about it.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #25
Catch

Actually I did think your hair was dark brown almost black. Looks good.