Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
Beneath the Shadows

All Whites Are Racist

Found this at another board...

Quote:
A mandatory University of Delaware program requires residence hall students to acknowledge that "all whites are racist" and offers them "treatment" for any incorrect attitudes regarding class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality they might hold upon entering the school, according to a civil rights group.

"Somehow, the University of Delaware seems terrifyingly unaware that a state-sponsored institution of higher education in the United States does not have the legal right to engage in a program of systematic thought reform. The First Amendment protects the right to freedom of conscience – the right to keep our innermost thoughts free from governmental intrusion. It also protects the right to be free from compelled speech," said a letter from Samantha Harris, director of legal and public advocacy for The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education to university President Patrick Harker.

The organization cited excerpts from the university's Office of Residence Life Diversity Education Training documents, including the statement:

"A RACIST: A racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. 'The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality. By this definition, people of color cannot be racists, because as peoples within the U.S. system, they do not have the power to back up their prejudices, hostilities, or acts of discrimination….'"

The education program also notes that "reverse racism" is "a term created and used by white people to deny their white privilege." And "a non-racist" is called "a non-term," because, the program explains, "The term was created by whites to deny responsibility for systemic racism, to maintain an aura of innocence in the face of racial oppression, and to shift the responsibility for that oppression from whites to people of color (called 'blaming the victim')."

The "education" regarding racism is just one of the subjects that students are required to adopt as part of their University of Delaware experience, too, FIRE noted.

The "shocking program of ideological reeducation," which the school itself defines as a "treatment" for students' incorrect attitudes and beliefs, is nothing less than "Orwellian," FIRE said.

The school requires its approximately 7,000 residence hall students "to adopt highly specific university-approved views on issues ranging from politics to race, sexuality, sociology, moral philosophy and environmentalism."

"FIRE is calling for the total dismantling of the program, which is a flagrant violation of students' rights to freedom of conscience and freedom from compelled speech," the organization said.

On a foundation blog, a student noted that one residence assistant told students, "Not to scare anyone or anything, but these are MANDATORY!!" And the training program for those who indoctrinate students includes the order: "A researcher must document that the treatment/intervention was faithfully applied (ex: specific lesson plans were delivered to every student, etc.)."

Further, the school requires "a systemic change" as a result of the program, FIRE noted. As one RA told students: "Like it or not, you all are the future Leaders, and the world is Diverse, so learning to Embrace and Appreciate that diversity is ESSENTIAL."

"The University of Delaware's residence life education program is a grave intrusion into students' private beliefs," FIRE President Greg Lukianoff said. "The university has decided that it is not enough to expose its students to the values it considers important; instead, it must coerce its students into accepting those values as their own. At a public university like Delaware, this is both unconscionable and unconstitutional."

According to university materials, RAs are instructed to ask students during one-on-one sessions questions such as: "When did you discover your sexual identity?" "When were you first made aware of your race?" and "Who taught you a lesson in regard to some sort of diversity awarness? What was the lesson?"

"Students who express discomfort with this type of questioning often meet with disapproval from their RAs, who write reports on these one-on-one sessions and deliver these reports to their superiors. One student identified in a write-up as an RA's 'worst' one-on-one session was a young woman who stated that she was tired of having 'diversity shoved down her throat,'" FIRE said.

This particular student responded to the question, "When did you discover your sexual identity?" with the terse: "That is none of your damn business," FIRE said.

Requirements for students include: "Students will recognize that systemic oppression exists in our society," "Students will recognize the benefits of dismantling systems of oppression," and "Students will be able to utilize their knowledge of sustainability to change their daily habits and consumer mentality," FIRE said.

The foundation said students even are "pressured or even required" to make social statements that meet with the school's approval.

"The fact that the university views its students as patients in need of treatment for some sort of moral sickness betrays a total lack of respect not only for students' basic rights, but for students themselves," Lukianoff said. "The University of Delaware has both a legal and a moral obligation to immediately dismantle this program, and FIRE will not rest until it has."

A spokesman for the school, contacted by WND, said he was not ready to make a statement about the situation right away.

But the foundation's letter to Harker noted, "we have never encountered a more systematic assault upon the individual liberty, dignity, privacy, and autonomy of university students than this program," which "requires students to adopt highly specific university-approved views on issues."

"Such utter contempt for the autonomy and free agency of others is the hallmark of totalitarianism and has no place in any free society, let alone at a public university in the state of Delaware," the letter said.

Especially alarming, Harris told WND, is that the school defines learning specifically as "attitudinal or behavioral changes," not acquiring any sort of knowledge and ability.

Such thinking "represents a distorted idea of 'education' that one would more easily associate with a Soviet prison camp than with an American institution of higher education," FIRE said. "As another example, after an investigation showed that males demonstrated 'a higher degree of resistance to educational efforts,' the Rodney complex chose to hire 'strong male RAs.' Each such RA 'combats male residents' concepts of traditional male identity,' in order to 'ensure the delivery of the curriculum at the same level as in the female floors.' This language is disturbingly reminiscent of a pivotal scene from George Orwell's '1984,' in which the protagonist's captors tell him that 'The Party is not interested in the overt act: the thought is all we care about. We do not merely destroy our enemies, we change them.'"

No small danger, FIRE noted, is being presented to the university through such apparent constitutional violations. "Simply put, the residence life education program is a legal minefield," the group said.

One student reacted to the indoctrination with rebellion. On the FIRE blog, he wrote:

"Take the issue of homosexuality, and the rights that should or should not be associated with it. As a Christian, I believe that the Bible says homosexuality is wrong, and is a sin against God. As such, I cannot accept it as a legitimate lifestyle. While I accept homosexuals as people, I do not accept their choice as right, and subsequently I do not think that homosexual couples should be given marital rights. I accept that others do not hold the same views as me. But it is wrong that under the Residence Life curriculum and school mandated curriculum that I should made to feel guilty for my views. … It is not the school's right to try to convince me to embrace the values that Residence Life has chosen. Essentially, if I do not change my views, I will be labeled by my RA as not embracing diversity, and not accepting of certain groups, and thus my RA will try all the harder to change me. This is not the school's job, or right."
Article source

The program booklet (PDF file)

Now, I don't normally take heed to anything from WND, but... wow. Just, wow. This is insane. How can anyone actually think they can get away was anything like this?!

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
dark_dragon_of_ice

I loled at your thread title.
Because its not racist or anything to claim that everyone in a certain race is something.(sarcasm).
I really don't know what else to say at this moment....more to come.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Beneath the Shadows

Well, that's the title of the article. (Well, the whole thing is "University to students: 'All whites are racist'")

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 11-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Redgauntlet

All whites are racists? Bullshit. Not all of them are. That's like saying all blacks are gangsters and all goths are cutters. It's still bullshit. But, seriously though, you'd might want to double check to make sure that kind is very genuine. It's easy to get sucker-punched by false alarms. But if it's very real at that university, I wouldn't be too surprised. That kind of PC crap's been done before back in the '80s and the '90s.
Face it, the real definition's this: racism is simply a doctrine that states that one's race is superior over another. In words, whites can be racists. So can blacks. Even Asians can be just as guilty. There's no excuse. Same goes for antisemitism on either side: the Jews and the Arabs.
Redgauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 AM   #5
Beneath the Shadows

I've been looking into it, and apparently it's been suspended since yesterday. (Well, two days ago, since it's past midnight.)

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 11-03-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Let's be grateful of that suspension, because that was seriously fucked up.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Let's be grateful of that suspension, because that was seriously fucked up.
Quoted for the motherfuckin truth.

That almost scared me, I wonder why it was suspended, outraged crys from students perhaps?
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #8
CptSternn

The education programme isn't racist, but posting an article about it under the heading claiming as much is. That is yet the second thread you have started that was ripped from a white power website.

Cultural diversity exists in univerisities across the globe. Most all have mandatory classes on racism, sexism, etc. these days for liability purposes. Taking such classes or going to such orientations does not by any means the school is calling all whites racist. It simply gives people from different backgrounds the opportunity to see how others live and gives them the opportunity to envelop themselves in a foreign culture they may have not seen before. By doing this it keeps problems from happening, and more importantly, keeps real racists from getting a foothold and using the ignorance of the masses to perpetuate stereotypes in young, impressionable minds.

Claiming that makes 'all whites racist' is nothing short than stupidity. That PDF also includes a section on the treatment of women. Are we to assume that every male is a sexual predator because they outline what constitutes as sexual harassment?

By putting students through such courses they avoid any unfortunate situations that may arise based on sheer ignorance alone. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'racism' as outlined in your post.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
The education programme isn't racist, but posting an article about it under the heading claiming as much is. That is yet the second thread you have started that was ripped from a white power website.
I've never heard of WND being called a "white power website." Ridiculously conservative, yes, but not racist. And even if it was, that makes only one. Learn to count.

And quit trying to play the race card. You obviously don't know how to very well. And if you have to try to paint someone racist because you can't argue the points properly, then keep your mouth closed. It shouldn't be hard... just think about what you do with your mind.

Quote:
Cultural diversity exists in univerisities across the globe. Most all have mandatory classes on racism, sexism, etc. these days for liability purposes. Taking such classes or going to such orientations does not by any means the school is calling all whites racist. It simply gives people from different backgrounds the opportunity to see how others live and gives them the opportunity to envelop themselves in a foreign culture they may have not seen before. By doing this it keeps problems from happening, and more importantly, keeps real racists from getting a foothold and using the ignorance of the masses to perpetuate stereotypes in young, impressionable minds.
So, indoctrinating students with blatantly racist views is suposed to prevent racism? That's an interesting view you have their. So, why do you insist on defending racism? <_<

Quote:
Claiming that makes 'all whites racist' is nothing short than stupidity. That PDF also includes a section on the treatment of women. Are we to assume that every male is a sexual predator because they outline what constitutes as sexual harassment?
You know, there's a lot of femin-nazis out there that would love to scream "yes" to that question.

Quote:
By putting students through such courses they avoid any unfortunate situations that may arise based on sheer ignorance alone. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'racism' as outlined in your post.
You're right, if everyone thinks the same exact thing, there'll be no "unfortunate situations." And all we have to sacrifice is free thought, individuality, and diversity. Golly, what a deal! <_<

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 11-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Cultural diversity exists in univerisities across the globe. Most all have mandatory classes on racism, sexism, etc. these days for liability purposes. Taking such classes or going to such orientations does not by any means the school is calling all whites racist
The document does claim that all whites are racist, in plain English.

Page 3

"A RACIST: A racist is one who is both priviledged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture, or sexuality..."

And may I say that the entire thing is not only a model of racist thinking, but a mass of self-contradictions, unsubstantiated claims, and downright lies. University thinking at its worst.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:37 AM   #11
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
So, indoctrinating students with blatantly racist views is suposed to prevent racism? That's an interesting view you have their. So, why do you insist on defending racism? <_<
So your arguing there is no racism in America?

See this thread here...

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showpo...6&postcount=14
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Beneath the Shadows

That response was so stupid, there's no way to properly respond without bringing myself down to your level. But I still have to ask... you in hell did you get "no racism in America" out of what I said?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #13
Tam Li Hua

What the hell..?

If this is for real, then it's completely ridiculous for the university to try and do something like that!

Augh...
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #14
le_revenant

lmao!
Well I fell for the sensationalistic subject line.
If that school actually attempted to institute that program then its in dire need of gettin' a reality bitch slap. From my own experience as a Latino who attended a college whose student body was largely of Caucasian persuasion I never ran into any racial problems. Some of my best friends have been white.
When I did encounter racial bs it was mainly from ill-educated, ignorant types of "minority" racial backgrounds! Mind you I've had friends of all types & orientations so I'm not singling anybody out from a group that I wouldn't hang out with to begin with.
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
BLEED REBELION!!!

I think its nuts for them to demand that someone take on their veiws simply because they believe them to be true....

They should offer diversity classes etc and state the facts let people come to their own conclusions.

"Students will recognize that systemic oppression exists in our society," "Students will recognize the benefits of dismantling systems of oppression,"

I see no problem with pointing out the "systemic oppression" because its there. But being so forcefull with it will make people reject you before you even explain yourself or veiws...

"racism"? I dont think we can simply stick to one defintion of waht it is. WHo originally defined it anyways?? Nothing should ever be completely locked or set as one thing always. Cuz things change.
As for the "all whites are racist" thing I can see why someone would make that statement. I dont think consiously or on purpose. But There are somethings that pretty much all white people wont understand. In this world there are simply advantages to being white. But I dont think its regardless of class....

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #16
delicti

Well, I guess that means I'm 1/8th not racist. I'm surprised I don't hate myself. :-D
Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #17
Opteron_Man

what!? thats bullshit!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
twisted_one

My boyfriend is racist...my other friend asked him .."Is it the belief or the lifestlye of being a nazi?" and my boyfriend said that it was the life style...I think that there is a difference when you say you don't like a certain race but you still talk to them and you don't like a race but you show it. I don't know what makes him go for the lifestyle of it though...can any one help me on that one?
twisted_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
AngelikDemonik

Labeling all white students as "racists" is a RACIST COMMENT in itself.

There is no doubt that there is racism everywhere now-a-days, but racism goes BOTH ways.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_one
My boyfriend is racist...my other friend asked him .."Is it the belief or the lifestlye of being a nazi?" and my boyfriend said that it was the life style...I think that there is a difference when you say you don't like a certain race but you still talk to them and you don't like a race but you show it. I don't know what makes him go for the lifestyle of it though...can any one help me on that one?

There's no law that states you have to LIKE anyone. And there should never be.

There's agaisnt against RACISM because there should be--Treating people wrongly because of what they are IS wrong.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #21
††BlackRose††

Whites are not racist. If you want to know the meaning of being racist, talk to a brown person... that is if you manage to understand punjabi/hindi. lol. I am not bullshitting! You don't know what they say to one another!