Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #551
aspendeath

I see middle-aged mothers in Hot Topic all the time; most 11-year-olds don't pay for their own clothing, you know?

My friend mentioned something about Hot Topic a few weeks ago that I figure I'd repeat: "Of course Hot Topic is all about making money, otherwise it wouldn't be a store." Quality concerns are valid, but as to whether or not Hot Topic is a greedy corporate money-making entity -- all chain stores are. Hot Topic just happens to make their money selling "goth"-related things.
aspendeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:58 AM   #552
Somber Illusions

I've never had a problem with Hot Topic, if I like an item and I have the money, than so be it.

I have a few issues with this conformity like thing that's been harboring Hot Topic for the past two years:

I can't stop gawking at the same click that stands in front of the store's window every time I'm in the mall. They b'i't'c'h about how expensive it is and how its a "posers" territory, yet they cry to their parents about how they need $50. When they get the money, where to you think they'll be? Hypocrites.

The other group of the self proclaimed "Hot Topic Haters" are usually the ones who follow the crowd and so forth. If hating Hot Topic is "in" than let the rivalries begin. This specific crowd of "Hot Topic Haters" I can't bare to endure. They are self-proclaimed non-conformist who have no purpose in life but to contribute to these fake a's's fads.

At the moment, a true non-conformist would shop at Hot Topic.

Anyways, back to the point. Hot Topic is just a store, people have to make money some how, and it so happens that they major in alternative attire. So all you whiny a's's kiddies who follow this god-forsaken scene, get a clue/life. Do your OWN thing and don't run away from yourself, if you are Goth, than that is a crime

Maybe this should be in "Ranting?"

But if I continue this rant there, I might get kicked out.

I have a lot of anger lurking in my gut.

:...Almighty Prozac, why have you forsaken thee?...:
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:45 AM   #553
Morrigan_Dubh

I'm glad there's no Hot Topic or its equivalent over here... I can save my "non-conformist" points for something a little more meaningful...
Old 05-23-2006, 05:50 AM   #554
Somber Illusions

Was that a direct insult towards me?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #555
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber Illusions
I think it was just implied, actually.

If you're a fashion conformist or nonconformist, you're in a group of people either way. Being an individual is impossible if your judgement of individuality is at all tied to fashion.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:42 AM   #556
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:

No it wasn't, actually. But I am happy you took it that way.

I am genuinely glad I don't have to worry about whether I am compromising my "non-conformist" integrity by shopping in one place or another... Although I did buy this book, which helps me when I'm worried about the "rightness" of my purchases...
Old 05-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #557
bjork_freak

He owns the right to put his opinion in just like everyone else (though he could have been a tad less insulting). If someone wants to call a person who shops at Hot Topic a poser, then doesn't that give someone else the right to call a person who despises Hot Topic a "non-conformist"?

I'm not trying to attack anyone, by the way.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:22 AM   #558
Sanctus Dei

He owns the right to shove a fist up his ass...

Don't fuckin' preach to us like a Sunday morning T.V. evangelist, your implications about the choice to or to not shop at some weak ass store were an unnecessary insult to anyone who has had an opinion toward the latter.

I don't shop there because it's too fucking expensive for shit clothes... so am I a non-conforming conformist? Apparently I'm "running away from my self..."?? Oh no..no, junior... I'm just protecting my pocket book from a sever form of financial r@pe.. is that fucking okay by you?? Or do you have some more enlightening blodgery to vomit..?

Fucking 23 posts in and you’re already needlessly raking the opinions of others the coals?? Clever move there, nappy.. You can save your "angry gut" for people who give a rat’s diseased ass because not a single one of us wishes to be boxed into your silly stereo-type just as you'd prefer not to be labeled "fucktarded loser jackass pissy cunt".

We clear?
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:52 AM   #559
Somber Illusions

The thread clearly states:

Quote:
Hot Topic:Ok or not?
Otherwise, this is an opinionated thread. I clearly gave my opinion about Hot Topic, that's right, MY OPINION. As for you, you also have the right to disagree with me.

Quote:
I'm just protecting my pocket book from a sever form of financial r@pe
As I stated:

Quote:
I've never had a problem with Hot Topic, if I like an item and I have the money, than so be it.
If you do not have the money, oh fucking well. Do I deserve such an insult because I can afford to shop there?

Also, how does your rank in a damn forum have anything to do with your rights on what you choose to express your opinion? Sounds discriminating to me.

Quote:
I can save my "non-conformist" points for something a little more meaningful...
I apologize I negatively interpreted your statement. It came off to me like you were saying I should use my opinion on more important things, otherwise, this one doesn't matter. Everyone see's things differently, what is important is to one's own priority.

In my eyes, I see many kids of this "punk rock" scene as posers (I dislike this word actually). Not everyone who shops there is in fact a "poser." Just a minority, and if I was being a bit too harsh, then shoot me. How can that excuse you Sanctus Dei, did I truly deserve such excruciating comments?

By the way, I am female.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 AM   #560
Somber Illusions

Quote:
If you're a fashion conformist or nonconformist, you're in a group of people either way. Being an individual is impossible if your judgement of individuality is at all tied to fashion.
You are right in a sense, I should have been more specific and let individuality into the statement.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #561
Solumina

oh come on now is there really any need for a bitch fight over this?

Yeah illusions should really try to work on being a little less preachy but hey if one of the older members had made that exact same post I doubt that anyone would have said anything about it. We just don't know her well and so the post kind of came off as really bitchy but I doubt that was the intent and we would have known better if we knew her a little better.

On the other hand, Illusions, the reason that older members are treated differently is that we know them and are far better at understanding the tone of their posts based on what we have learned about their personality. Most if us were flamed a little when we first got here (I got my ass handed to me a few times and I was fairly polite) so don't take it too personally, and try to learn from it (read: don't change who you are but learn what kind of tone you are projecting and maybe work a little on that)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #562
merivelles

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_dark_demon_bright
Agreed. The only people who can largely afford to go there are the people who normally would not go there. (i.e. older age groups. people in their mid-twenties through thirties. ones who have higher paying jobs.) If they could lower their general items cost 50-60% or so they could turn a higher profit. As it is a pair of their brand jeans cost about $30 or $35. Often you can get the same kind of jeans at other stores in the same mall for $20 or so.
Yes but even if Hot Topic did lower their prices, the close would still fall apart after a few wears. So technically it's really not even worth the money.
merivelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 AM   #563
Somber Illusions

I understand, I've never came upon such a hardcore forum. Damn, they make me want to wet me pants. Pity me. Or not.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #564
merivelles

Quote:
I understand, I've never came upon such a hardcore forum. Damn, they make me want to wet me pants. Pity me. Or not.
Don't get me wrong though. I shop there ever so often to get pants ( I like the dangely, so sue me) but I have to save up and I usually find something better and less expensive before I even get to go into a Hot Topic to buy something. I spend most of my clothing money buying stuff from anywhere and putting it together myself.

BUT I NEED MY DANGELY PANTS WITH CHAINS!!! Chains in general are so hard to find to put on clothes!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #565
bjork_freak

Quote:
Not...

Sorry, but you need to suck it up.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #566
Somber Illusions

I'm not too fond of their pants to be honest, I usually eye their skirts 90% of the time. Their tops are lame at the moment, just about all of their summer line is tacky! I compare them with other stores such as Wet Seal, its the same exact thing, only it has an alternative spin on it. Thats why I'm going to befriend my sewing machine soon.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #567
Somber Illusions

Quote:
Not...Sorry, but you need to suck it up.
I wasn't seeking anyones apathy. It was a figure of speech.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #568
merivelles

Quote:
I'm not too fond of their pants to be honest, I usually eye their skirts 90% of the time. Their tops are lame at the moment, just about all of their summer line is tacky! I compare them with other stores such as Wet Seal, its the same exact thing, only it has an alternative spin on it. Thats why I'm going to befriend my sewing machine soon.
I agree. Sewing machines are the best thing to happen to the world. For the love of all that is SAIN make your own damn clothes! They last longer. And the only reason I like their pants is because they have chains, and zippers, and buckles, and they are shiny....I'm too much of a cat to resist such shinyness.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #569
Somber Illusions

We have our individual tastes
Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #570
merivelles

Yes, and that's what makes us who we are....Sometimes.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #571
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by merivelles
I'm too much of a cat to resist such shinyness.
ME TOO!!!!!!
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #572
merivelles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
ME TOO!!!!!!
It's too much to handle!!! It's like a damn magnet! *shine shine shine* "Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Look! Metal shiny silver nice yum yum chain thingeh with velcro and zippers! MINE!!!!" -laughs-
Old 05-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #573
Solumina

I know! I just can't help but sit there and bat at the pretty shiny object, and they JINGLE!!!!!
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #574
merivelles

*jingle jingle*
Old 05-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #575
NachtSorcier

I've never been inside of a Hot Topic, but oddly enough, I can tell when someone is wearing something that came from one. I might go into one someday and see if I like anything, but just like anywhere else I'd try to find something that I like but haven't seen on a million other people.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote