Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: how did you come up with your screen name?
came to me in a dream 3 3.23%
its my nickname 18 19.35%
it just sounded cool 25 26.88%
it means something personal 42 45.16%
i was trying to be a smartarse. 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2005, 07:06 AM   #76
DarkWings666

well dark wings is a song by within temptation who are my favourite band at the moment and 666 means 'one less than perfect' in every way. so i'm a human that likes within temptation.
DarkWings666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #77
roserougesang

Talking Everyone's interesting names

Even though I've only been here for a short while,(1 month)...*posh, strict voice* it has come to my attention that some people's names are funny *end voice* (in a good way of course)
For example:
1. TwistedKitsune: Sounds like Japanese foxes have turned evil, either that or the fox has been used as a piece of moldable clay.
2. Xnguela: What is Xnguela, a place, a shop, or is it edible?
3. cannibalnuns: I'll never think of the clergy in the same way again

By the way, I'm not picking on or trying to insult anyone here, just curious about everyone's name.
Why did everyone choose their particular name? Also, feel free to make a joke up about my name, love to see people's opinions
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #78
roserougesang

Never thought of your name as a code, interesting.....

Such sweet irony, a person who's pure and god-like on a board like this XD (just kidding, I love making fun of stereotypes)
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #79
Godslayer Jillian

Mine is like this.
The Godslayer part is taken from a PS2 videogame. Has anyone played Shadow Hearts Covenant? It's really a masterpiece. I just can't describe how beautiful is the story and the cinematics. And the ending; it made me cry.
Anyway, the hero of the story is known by secret societies as The Godslayer (and he literally is!)
I loved the game so much, I decided to autodenominate myself with the same nickname (I have even thought that if I had a band, that would be its name, so the lyrics would have a theological meaning too)
Anyway, I've written too much.... I hope the Jillian part is shorter.
Why would a man call himself Jillian???
I didn't know it was a girl's name. I heard the song Jillian of Within Temptation, and simply felt a rush of adrenaline when I listened to it at top volume. I fell in love with that song.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #80
Magpie_Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Xnguela is a code!
It took me ages to figure out what the code for your name was, when I first came on this board.

Then I figured it out and I was really proud of myself.

A week later you posted the code so everyone else knew too... I was so annoyed that I'd spent so much time trying to figure it out!

My name's easy. I like shiny things. I had to see a counsellor once and I kept fiddling with the shiny things in his office. He told me that I had "magpie-like tendencies". I thought it sounded cool. The end
Old 04-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #81
cannibalnuns

Cannibalnuns: Monty Python, alcohol induced creativity and false originality. There you have it.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #82
Icarian Decoding

I honestly don't know where my name comes from.
I just woke up one day and it was, "Icarian Decoding". I used to have the username "Seraphic", but I changed it to... The odd thing I have today.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #83
Demonista_Ravenesque

Demonista_Ravenesque is my alien alibi or my hacker name.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #84
Demonista_Ravenesque

Haha, I know, It's my hacker name in this roleplay I've participated in.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #85
TwistedKitsune

I amused by the fact that my name was used as an example in this thread...the first one in fact. Now to explain. Kitsune not only translates to fox but plays a large role in Japanese mythology, given that I'm a Japanese major it made sense. Foxes are also rather important to me on a spiritual level. As for the Twisted part of it, there are several different reasons for this. Firstly, I've been told on several occassions that I am a "twisted individual." Secondly, I work with wire a lot, I twist creations into being. Thirdly, to twist something can be to "distort the intended meaning of" something. Both the Kitsune and the Fox have gained different meanings for me and thus, they are twisted in my mind. I could go on about the word twisted...I won't...it's a good word though!

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #86
Mr E Nigma

Actually, that was only back when hackers were paranoid about the government intercepting their e-mail, code, and/or messages via intraweb besides e-mail. (And yes a few programmers actually wrote new script to include number replacements for letters). Only during this era did hackers actually throw numbers into their name or make their alias completely numbers. Also as everyone knows why l33t speak began.

Anyways, about my name, It is slightly based on the Batman character the riddler as his name is "Mr Edward Nigma." It's really the only thing I could reference it to even though it's not the real reason I got the name. I love mysteries, riddles, abstracts, anything that isn't truly defined, anything puzzling, or logically challenging. The name itself has several meanings.

Mr E Nigma.... Mr E (sounded out is mystery) E Nigma (obviously Enigma, means mystery/riddle).
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #87
Sanctus Dei

Sanctus Dei, in a sense it means "Holy God". I drew inspiration from the seven sets of Baphomet and combined Sanctus (Holy) with a prayer said by priests at mass in a set of three (the month of my birthday) Agnus Dei. The prayer is, "Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis" (Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us)"

Ofcourse I don't consider myself a lamb of god so in efforts to boost my already flurishing ego I decided to refer to myself as "Holy God". (okay that was a lie, I just thought it sounded cool... )
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #88
Avarice

Avarice, one of the 7 Deadly Sins...

Sounds awesome to me..

Plus I've been called greedy a fair few times.
Avarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #89
angel011

angel, I just like the sound of the word (my boyfriend says that necro011 or demon011 would be more me ). 011 is the phone code for my hometown.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:46 AM   #90
roserougesang

It's always interesting finding out what makes people tick (explanation for mildly random post)
I feel nosy XP
Old 04-13-2006, 02:25 AM   #91
disorder

My maths teacher (who is a little batty, to say the least) recently walked in on our class having a paper fight (yeah, real mature), simply screamed 'DISORDER!' then walked out and fetched the principle

And I kind of like the word...

Disorder
(dis·or·der)
a derangement or abnormality of function; a morbid physical or mental state.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:39 AM   #92
end.of.eternity

Disorder, how wonderful! I love chaos!!

As I told in my introduction, my name comes straight from a scifi book End of Eternity, which I never finished and I've got no idea what the book holds in it. I've just used that name all over the net so why change? it works still.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:43 AM   #93
Lackluster_Heavens

Mine's just the first song I ever wrote!
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:01 AM   #94
Morrigan_Dubh

Morrigan is (the anglicized version of) the name of the Irish Celtic goddess of war and strife and violent death. She would often appear as a raven (I love mythology. Especially the crazy, chaotic goddesses that appear in all cultures - I go by the names Artemis, Eris, and Amaterasu in other contexts).

Dubh means "Black" in the Irish language.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:58 AM   #95
Oubliette

An oubliette is a dungeon with a trapdoor in the ceiling as its only means of entrance or exit.

"Can't we all just get a bong?"-Wolfie-
Oubliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:59 AM   #96
Oubliette

It's also known as a place for forgetting.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #97
TheKorovaMilkbar

The Korova Milkbar is where Little Alex and his droogs hang out in A Clockwork Orange.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #98
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubliette
It's also known as a place for forgetting.
And it's also from The Labrynth!

Coolest movie EVAR!!!

I think I'm going to merge this thread when I find the other name thread.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #99
Sobeh

Sobeh is from a *long* time ago, back when I was chatting up a storm at AOL Keyword: Pagan... this would have been, oh, 1993 or 1994.

Back then, I was playing with words a lot, creating languages and that sort of thing, mostly according to this kind of free association:

I'm trying to think of an AOL name, and they're all either taken or pieces of shit. Maybe I can incorporate POS into my name, that might be possible... hmm, POSsible.... well, a Sybil is a Greek Oracle (the famous one was at Delphi), so perhaps POSsyble, which is really just a crappy fortuneteller.... PoS,CF is what I end with from that little bit of thinking, which isn't enough vowels for anything, so then I might take that 'y' from Sybil and the SP letters go together, so we can have Spy and then C,F, and o remain.... Cof? SPyCof? Well, that'd be a real lame spy, who'd get caught for sure, coughing like that...

Anyway, you get the gist. Suffice it to say, Sobeh is the result of a process like that, but I'll be damned if I can recall what started it all.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #100
Oubliette

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
And it's also from The Labrynth!

Coolest movie EVAR!!!

I think I'm going to merge this thread when I find the other name thread.

And the origin of the world's most talked about bulge. hehehehe