Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
BourbonBoy

Texas man wants pregnant wife taken off life support

Quote:
Erick Munoz and his wife Marlise, both paramedics, had spoken of a 'do not resuscitate' plan before a tragic incident in late November left Marlise brain-dead. Now her distraught husband is unable to carry out her wishes because of a Texas law that dictates she must be kept alive until the fetus is viable.

Continued:
While Marlise Munoz is now "simply a shell," her husband said, the fetus has a normal heartbeat. But it is unclear how long the baby was deprived of oxygen following her collapse, or what health issues it may face after birth as a result.

"We've talked about it. We're both paramedics and we've seen things out in the field," Munoz told ABC. "We both knew that we didn't want to be on life support."

The two had planned to sign a do not resuscitate order but never got around to it, Munoz said. However, Texas law still dictates that "a person may not withdraw or withhold life-sustaining treatment under this subchapter from a pregnant patient." The state's DNR order also reads that the directive "has no effect if (the person) has been diagnosed as pregnant."

Original article.--->http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1556345

I can't imagine what this guy's going through. There are far too many questions that need to be answered that the state clearly hasn't addressed with this situation.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Solumina

This story breaks my heart. Not only is it not allowing him to carry out her wishes, which in itself is causing untold amounts of emotional strain on him and their family, not to mention is a huge financial burden, but fetuses need even more oxygen in the blood than a born person for their brain development so there is basically a zero chance that the baby wont have brain damage, possibly even not being able to survive. If the child does survive it will unquestionably require a huge amount of special care which is an insane amount of stress (physical, emotional, mental, and financial) for a man to undertake when he already has a toddler and just lost his wife.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
TheLonelyGhost

Oh gosh, this article is so sad. Every time I come across an article like this I'm left speechless cause I never know what to say. Wish things could have been different, but sadly lots of horrible things happen in the world.
TheLonelyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Lady_Ligeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGhost View Post
Oh gosh, this article is so sad. Every time I come across an article like this I'm left speechless cause I never know what to say. Wish things could have been different, but sadly lots of horrible things happen in the world.
Agreed.
Lady_Ligeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
kurona

I believe she is technically, legally and medically 'dead'. Hospital shouldnt treat her because she is not a 'patient' anymore, they dont treat dead people.

As for the baby argument, s/he should be taken out of there and put in a more dependable life support system. God knows how inconsistent the nutrients the baby is getting from a corpse or further damage its sustaining?
kurona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
BourbonBoy

Update: The husband's sued the hospital to take her off life support.
Bring on the "Right to Lifer's"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...wsuit/4476153/
Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
BourbonBoy

Looks like they're pulling the plug finally.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014...f-life-support
Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #8
Skippy

This is just a sad situation the whole way 'round.

Though I'm not religious, I would pray for all involved, and hope that a situation like this doesn't happen in the future.

My heart goes out to all involved.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote