Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Tam Li Hua

Question Sensitive Skin & Goth Makeup

What is the best Goth makeup for sensitive skin? Loose powder? Pressed powder? Liquid? What brand is the best for its money?

What ingredients do I need to try and avoid? Are home-made, Etsy-sold makeups worth their salt?

More Info, If Desired:

Lately, I've been using Manic Panic's "Anemic" pressed powder. Love the color, but I'm not sure how it's affecting my skin; I've been breaking out pretty bad over the past couple of days, and I can't tell if it's this foundation (which is vegan), or if it's another factor. (Summer heat/humidity in the Deep South, allergy season as seasons change, rough face cleanser, stress, etc.)

Tonight, I switched from an apricot scrub to a gentle Neutrogena face cleanser/makeup remover, so that may help.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Acharis

(Post is assuming breakouts is acne, not eczema)
I googled the Manic Panic ingredients, and it is possible it might be blocking your pores because it's mainly talc.

You may be right about changing from the apricot scrub, it can be quite rough and make skin flare up.

Makeup is a very personal preference... I have sensitive combination skin that is very pale and tends to break out. Usually I look for things on the label like 'dermatologist tested', 'hypoallergenic', 'oil free' and especially 'non comedogenic' which means it doesn't cause pimples.

The best I've found so far in terms of colour match and application (for me) is Max Factor 'Smooth Effect' liquid foundation, which is labeled as 'suitable for sensitive skin, won't clog pores, oil free'.. Saying that, I usually only wear SPF15 moisturiser on a daily basis to let my skin breathe.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Acharis

Stupid edit. * Shade 'Creamy Ivory' 45
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Stupid edit. * Shade 'Creamy Ivory' 45
Thanks for the info! It helps a lot. And yes, it's acne; sorry for not mentioning that.

I could tell the difference almost immediately with the new face cleaner! Much more soothing and gentle.

I'll keep your advice in mind, and will check that foundation out. (I'll also beware of anything with talc in it.)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
ape descendant

I have pretty sensitive skin, myself. I usually avoid foundations as they tend to make me break out in either pimples or some horrible, allergic reaction. I reserve those for very special occasions where I'd like to look my deathliest.

When I do break out the ol' warpaint, I tend to use color to bring out or suppress certain skin tones. Mind you, I'm already pretty pale, (so your mileage may vary) but I've found that there are some colors of eye shadow that will make the rest of my skin look paler by contrast. Purples and reds seem to compliment the blue undertones in my skin making it seem paler by comparison.

Hair color can also bring out or suppress skin tones. I use a blue-black as opposed to a natural black to echo the blue in my skin while downplaying my natural blush. When I use a natural black the brown undertones tend to make me look more yellow. When I use a red/brassy-colored dye it brings out the natural ruddiness of my skin.

I don't know what sort of undertones your skin has, but some experimentation will help you find what works.

While I love makeup in all it's deliciously fun glory, I've found that nothing is more beautiful than well cared-for natural skin.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Tam Li Hua

I agree about the well-cared for skin! I'm getting back into my skin-care routine, for both health *and* beauty reasons, but it can get confusing (and expensive) to figure out which products I need, which I have that are good, and which I need to dispose of. (I *hate* being wasteful.)

I didn't consider that about hair color, but you have a point! Right now, it's a kind of dark-red; I used MP's new "Vampire's Kiss" hair dye without bleaching, and it turned out to be a kind of dark plumb color. (My natural hair color is dark "dishpan" blond.)

I've been looking for a good blue-black color. What do you use?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
ape descendant

I just use the Revlon blue-black color, it's nothing fancy. I used to go for Feria starry night, but it doesn't work on my hair any more and washes out way to fast when I use it. I've got to say, that plumb color sounds pretty awesome.

Best "skin-care product", is a healthy diet with foods rich in vitamins A, E, and C. E helps keep your skin clear and bright, C helps your body form healthy connective tissues and I can't remember what A does for skin at the moment and I'm feeling a little too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Acharis

No worries, sorry I couldn't say much about the natural kinds. Not sure if the Max Factor has talc come to think of it.. I just found it worked a bit better for my skin and liked it more than the alternatives.

If you'd prefer to stick with a powder I found a skin clearing powder (but haven't used so can't vouch for it). Buying the packs of cheap powder puffs is a good idea too, so you can grab a fresh one regularly.

For the skincare I like a basic Clearasil cream wash. A gentle fine particle scrub is ok if you don't overdo it, and SPF moisturiser to finish.
Just go by how your skin reacts and feels after a little while of using something, you'll figure out what it likes.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
OpheliaLight

Hi Tam,
have you ever heard of Portland black lipstick company? They use good ingredients and they're not too expensive at all. I recommend BB cream (it's an asian cream that is moisturizer with a built in foundation sorta) and on top of that translucent powder. I use phantom face powder by Portland BL http://www.etsy.com/listing/71174883...?ref=related-6

I really like it, and it doesn't make my face feel gross, and doesn't make me break out. Portland BL is mainly known for their lipsticks but due to the fact that they don't shove all these chemicals in their makeups I like to use their other stuff, too.

There's no "best goth makeup" out there, you just have to do what's best for you. I hope that helped.
OpheliaLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Tam Li Hua

Acharis: Sorry for the long delay. I think a gentle wash is a good idea. I've also made my own sugar scrub to use once a week, so we'll see if that helps. I'm also using a Neutrogena face wash, morning and night, but I don't think I'll buy it again. Just not sure if Neutrogena is as "hypoallergenic" and "gentle" as they claim. :P (Least not for me.)

I read a site recently that said adult acne can't be treated the same as juvenile acne, mostly due to the age of the person. A.k.a., astringents aren't great for aging skin. This makes everything even *more* confusing! lol Now that I'm in my 30s, I am wanting to be uber-careful with what I use.

OpheliaLight: I've never heard of that brand, but I'll definitely be checking them out! The more research I do, the more I realize that you're right; there's no one best brand.

Last edited by Tam Li Hua; 10-08-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added text
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
I just use the Revlon blue-black color, it's nothing fancy. I used to go for Feria starry night, but it doesn't work on my hair any more and washes out way to fast when I use it. I've got to say, that plumb color sounds pretty awesome.

Best "skin-care product", is a healthy diet with foods rich in vitamins A, E, and C. E helps keep your skin clear and bright, C helps your body form healthy connective tissues and I can't remember what A does for skin at the moment and I'm feeling a little too lazy to look it up at the moment.
I'll have to look up that hair color! It sounds pretty. I have a jar of Raven by MP that I bought some months ago, but I'm still working up the courage to use it. (It's not Amplified, so maybe it wouldn't be *too* difficult to wash out.)

I agree with you about the skin care. I've been needing to take my daily diet more seriously anyways for other health reasons, so now I'm trying to drink more water, at the very least. I also have some multivitamins that I'm hoping has those things in it as well.

I think it's Vitamin D we get from the sun, but I can't quite remember. Oh, Mr. Sun...you give is good nutrients while causing aging! *le sigh*
Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Acharis

Just realised I've been recommending drugstore and possibly animal tested products to someone who mentioned they've been using vegan makeup. *V8 facepalm*

(Right when I found a non-stinging mask too.)

If you like cruelty free makeup and skincare I'd look into companies like the Body Shop and Lush. If their makeup isn't pale enough you could try Urban Decay, which is also cruelty free but has more alternative shades.

There's also Fyrinnae, but I've heard sometimes mineral makeup bases can be shiny/cakey and highlight irregularities. YMMV. Have a squiz at the whole thing though because the eyeshadows look awesome.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Just realised I've been recommending drugstore and possibly animal tested products to someone who mentioned they've been using vegan makeup. *V8 facepalm*
Lol! No worries! XD I think most companies claim to be "cruelty-free" these days. My real reason for wanting the vegan stuff is just because I've always had bad experience with the regular brands. Always itchy and bothersome. But I haven't experienced that as much with vegan or more natural products.

Plus, I don't like the idea that traditional lipstick is made of fish scales. lol! That's just a gross image, spreading a raw fish around on one's lips....