Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
DarkPearl9327

Exploring My Goth Side

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum a while ago, and now finally got the courage to post here. Basically, I'm a 33 year old finally exploring my goth side. I've long been drawn to the goth scene in terms of fashion, literature and some of the music, but was always reluctant to explore it. I always tried to be something that I wasn't. Also, I had a strict upbringing which didn't allow me to be a goth in high school, but I now know that if I would've been one had I had more freer upbringing.

Anyway, I've long been drawn to dark clothing, moody and depressing music, and dark entertainment. I think its because of my own inner darkness. As someone who struggles with mental illness, I feel exploring my goth side will help me cope and embrace my dark side (ie, depression, mania) so I could be at peace with it. This doesn't mean I believe all goths are depressed; I just know this may work for me.

So, I am a late blooming goth. It won't be easy to embrace this side of me since I'm on a very tight budget, and I also just got a job in media which means I will be the Corporate Goth type. I also think I could be a Hippie Goth and a Medieval/Renaissance/Victorian type (I'm a total history nerd). But we'll see....

Here's more about me:

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I work in news, but I also am a creative writer (fiction, poetry, soon to be screenplays) and a videographer and editor. I enjoy photography, trying new recipes, being outdoors,

2. Where are you from?
NYC

3. Who is your favorite author?
Really don't have one at the moment. I was a big fan of Anne Rice, but I also have gotten to like others.

4. What are your favorite films?
The Lord of the Rings, The Princess Bride, Silver Linings Playbook

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Nothing but music that talks about love - the realistic kind, not the mushy gross kind. I know I want to walk down the aisle to "This Love" because my relationships are always strange!

6. At your funeral?
"Song for Athene" (also known as "Alleluia. May Flights of Angels Sing Thee to Thy Rest) It was played at the funeral of Princess Diana while her coffin was being carried out at the end. The song is so beautiful, mournful, haunting and really captures life and death. Heck, one of its lyrics says it all: "Life: a shadow and a dream".

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Hopefully, at a ripe old age, peacefully and painlessly.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Not sure. I know I want to be cremated and have my ashes used for the roots for a tree. That being said, I'd like to have a wake and be placed in a black coffin with ivory floral satin inside.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
As long as it's a flowy skirt or lace, its all good!

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Being carefree and irresponsible.

11. What's your favorite band?
U2, Enigma, Mazzy Star, Garbage, Depeche Mode, Sarah McLachlan. I've been listening to a lot of symphonic rock such as Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Epica. I recently listened to Anathema and like them so far. I've been exploring the "classics" such as The Cure and Bauhaus. So far, so good!

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
BS and MA in journalism

13. Why did you join?
See the title

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female
DarkPearl9327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Molster

Welcome to the forum from another newbie *** waves ***
Molster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #3
Acharis

Wup. Howdy there.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
DarkPearl9327

Thanks Molster and Acharis!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Stormbringer

Hi DarkPearl, I too am a total history freak - and what a history we goths have to draw upon ! You don't have to spend a lot of money either. I'm a corporate goth too and luckily I can get away with dressing in black jeans at work. Above that I buy nearly all my clothes from thrift stores. We call them Op (opportunity) Shops here in Australia. You live in NYC - greatest city of opportunity in the world. Carpe Noctem, Pete.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
DarkPearl9327

Hi Pete! Thanks for the welcome and the tidbit.

See you around!