Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 03-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #126
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn

Having been in multiple prisons in multiple countries, I can give you first hand experience information.
Uhh What?

Multiple Prisons in Multiple Countries?

You can't just casually slide that in there and not expect to be asked;

" What the Fuck For? "

You have to raise some serious Hell to be sentenced to Prison time "around the world"..

So was that accurate?

You offered it as evidence, which means enquiring minds need more information..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #127
ExistentialDisorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I'm not saying don't punish them.

But on the aspect of serial killers... destroying perfect specimens of psychos like Dahmer and Chikatilo is such a waste anyway. We still know very little of how the minds of these killers work, which is why they should be kept alive so that we can find out. After all the pain these people have caused, the least we can do is use their brains as a way of learning (and possibly preventing) what leads them to commit such heinous acts.
There's ways to do that without keeping them alive. for example, there's a guy who was sentenced to death for some murder or other. He donated his body to science. They froze him and sliced him into onion-skin slices head to toe, which enabled them to study every little bit of him, to include his brain and its chemistry. Granted, it's not quite the same as the spoken word, but in some instances it can be better. And the spoken word is only as true as the one speaking it. psychiatrists can easily be fooled.

and an edit to add: dahmer was killed by his fellow inmates, not by his death sentence.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #128
Cicero

Oh yeah, I forgot about that detail. All I remembered was that Dahmer was dead. I'm no expert in these matters, although I do have quite an interest in them.

Anyway studying serial killers after they're dead works, too, but all criminals are going to die eventually so why not just wait a few years? In the mean time you can study their living brains, which are just as valuable to science, if not more.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:34 AM   #129
CptSternn

Politics. I tend to piss off as many people IRL as I do online. Worldwide. All the time.

But it doesn't stop me.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #130
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Oh yeah, I forgot about that detail. All I remembered was that Dahmer was dead. I'm no expert in these matters, although I do have quite an interest in them.

Anyway studying serial killers after they're dead works, too, but all criminals are going to die eventually so why not just wait a few years? In the mean time you can study their living brains, which are just as valuable to science, if not more.
As interested as I am in the criminal mind, why would we bother keeping them alive? We haven't learned anything about Dahmer, Bundy or Gacey that would prevent more serial killers. Most of the stuff we already use to track or find serial killers can be learned from studying the cases, without the input of the killer himself.

If we were to keep future serial killers alive, it'd be like a circus freakshow for psychiatrists.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #131
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
As interested as I am in the criminal mind, why would we bother keeping them alive? We haven't learned anything about Dahmer, Bundy or Gacey that would prevent more serial killers. Most of the stuff we already use to track or find serial killers can be learned from studying the cases, without the input of the killer himself.

If we were to keep future serial killers alive, it'd be like a circus freakshow for psychiatrists.
Well if we kill them, then why not study their brain. There’s a lot you can tell from a pots-mortem brain as long as it is properly preserved.

It is best to keep them alive if only for study. I’m ok with that, screw their human rights. A lot more is now know about the anatomy of the brain thanks to studies in criminal behavior such as how the frontal lobes affect peoples morals. Many of the modern worlds most violent criminals are now know to have frontal lobe damage.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #132
WolfMoon

See?

And they don't even have to be alive for us to know that!

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote