Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #551
Saya

He said there's no atheist that doesn't believe in evolution!

And I smell a thesis topic.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #552
Alan

Rephrase that sentence, cause I think I missed something.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #553
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothead View Post
because the bible is, and atheist that believe in the big bang and or evolution believe the way the photo said, and I don't know a atheist that doesn't believe in the big bang or evolution do you?
Quote:
For the record, I know an atheist neo nazi who thinks evolution is a conspiracy theory.
Is that better?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #554
Alan

Oh, I thought you were talking about the nazi and it seemed contradictory.
Still, seriously, you gotta expand on that nazi atheist creationist friend of yours.
real classy
Old 06-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #555
Saya

As you can imagine once I found out she was a Nazi I stopped being friends with her.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #556
Alan

As odd as it sounds I don't care so much about her fascist tendencies but rather the idea that one can be atheist and not believe in evolution.
real classy
Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #557
Saya

Oh, when I found that out when a friend of mine was living with her (to escape an abusive ex), and said friend called me one day and was like "I try to respect everyone's beliefs, buuuuuuut...." and proceeded to tell me how her roommate didn't believe in evolution and thinks dinosaur bones were placed there. I was too flabbergasted to really dive in and investigate how that works. This was before I went back to school.

Oh, and our mutual friend was neopagan at the time and nazi lady messaged me a while back to ask for her number because she thought her house was infested with ghosts.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #558
ape descendant

I love you guys, you make life fun again. *wistful sigh*

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #559
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Oh, when I found that out when a friend of mine was living with her (to escape an abusive ex), and said friend called me one day and was like "I try to respect everyone's beliefs, buuuuuuut...." and proceeded to tell me how her roommate didn't believe in evolution and thinks dinosaur bones were placed there. I was too flabbergasted to really dive in and investigate how that works. This was before I went back to school.

Oh, and our mutual friend was neopagan at the time and nazi lady messaged me a while back to ask for her number because she thought her house was infested with ghosts.
You know, I'm probably projecting here and trying to make the term atheist too broad of a term. I understand that it's a lack of belief in god, but there's this point where I have to wonder about those who profess to be atheist yet believe there are ghosts. It makes me wonder if she isn't really an atheist, but probably someone who believes there is no certain god.

It'd be wrong of me to say that atheists who don't believe in evolution was impossible, but I feel like there's something more to this nazi chick than her being an atheist. If she really is one, that's one hell of an uncommon non-believer.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #560
Saya

Nazi chick aside, I do know more atheists who believe in ghosts, just none other who go out of their way to find me to get help with ghost infestations.

Maybe its just the division between religion and common superstition?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #561
AshleyO

You see, that's just weird to me. It's strange to say it this way, but my lack of belief is not so specific that it's a rejection of religion but in a broader sense, a rejection of all spiritual claims.

I understand that it's possible that there's atheists who believe in ghosts, but then I find that to be outright wacky and short sighted on their part to lack a belief in a god, but to think there were ghosts...? I'd have to ask one how they rationalize that.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #562
Saya

Maybe its the experience? Not too many people think they met God but more people have strange experiences that they attribute to ghosts.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #563
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasdeja View Post
Pothead? Even the noodles are against you!

yay they must be like angels are to God, that noodles are to fsm , and I am glad they are against me
pothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #564
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Pothead - To sum up YOUR belief the same way that image alledgedly sums up atheism:
There is this man in the sky. He wasn't created by anything or anyone, he was just there forever, and there is no before him, because we can't explain that, so that's just the fucking way it is.
He has always been there. One day, he just decided to create some shit by uttering a few words and doing nothing really actively about it, yet he grew so tired from uttering these few words that he had to sleep for the rest of the day when he created just a small part of the shit he wanted to create.
All of a sudden, he decided that life needed to be there, so all of a sudden, it was there with no reasonable explanation other than this man in the sky saying it was so.
Then he decided to put creatures who looked like him down there to rule and stuff, but even though there were only two of them, he didn't have enough focus to keep them from eating from a single tree in a motherfucking huge garden.
So when these intelligently challenged individuals listened to another one of his mishap creations, he decided to punish them with pain, suffering and death because he didn't bother to put a fence around the two forbidden trees in his garden.
God formed man with his hands but he spoke the rest of everything into existence, which was not 6 thousand years ago, but maybe billions of years ago
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #565
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
I've told you repeatedly about atheists, I can't help that you're either a liar or just plain stupid.

The Bible is, the Sagas are, the Bhagavad Gita is, the Koran is, by the argument presented they're all true, what makes your book so special? You're going to have to do better than that.
and what did I lie about? and my book is special because That's the way I believe things happened, and I know it is true because of the testing that I have been through, so you wouldn't understand it anyways
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #566
Timeless Rebellion

Quote:
God formed man with his hands but he spoke the rest of everything into existence, which was not 6 thousand years ago, but maybe billions of years ago
Can you show me where it says that your god created man with his hands? I have no recollection of this passage whatsoever, but I could be mistaken of course. I only read the old testament once.

Furthermore, your religion is no better and no more true than mine.
We have the same amount of proof for our beliefs, so you really can't claim that my religion is false.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #567
pothead

Quote:
Can you show me where it says that your god created man with his hands? I have no recollection of this passage whatsoever, but I could be mistaken of course. I only read the old testament once.

Furthermore, your religion is no better and no more true than mine.
We have the same amount of proof for our beliefs, so you really can't claim that my religion is false.
I have proof, but you don't believe proof, and I believe because of the testing that I have been through, I will find the passage in a minute
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #568
pothead

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #569
Timeless Rebellion

I have been tested by the Flying Spaghetti Monster as well.
You have no more concrete proof than I do.

And alright, I retract that part of my statement partially, the modified statement is as follows:
One day, he just decided to create some shit by uttering a few words and doing nothing really actively about it except form a small figurine with his hands, yet he grew so tired from uttering these few words and playing the hobbyist that he had to sleep for the rest of the day when he created just a small part of the shit he wanted to create.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #570
Cynthesis

Trolls.... they eat a lot
Cynthesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #571
pothead

Quote:
I have been tested by the Flying Spaghetti Monster as well.
You have no more concrete proof than I do.

And alright, I retract that part of my statement partially, the modified statement is as follows:
One day, he just decided to create some shit by uttering a few words and doing nothing really actively about it except form a small figurine with his hands, yet he grew so tired from uttering these few words and playing the hobbyist that he had to sleep for the rest of the day when he created just a small part of the shit he wanted to create.
yeah we are probably really small compared to God the bible says that we are like grass hoppers, so God must be like 200 foot tall at least but he can take many sizes
Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #572
Kasdeja

Props to Spooky Spencer for the 'shopped avatar!
If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 AM   #573
Timeless Rebellion

Quote:
yeah we are probably really small compared to God the bible says that we are like grass hoppers, so God must be like 200 foot tall at least but he can take many sizes
Still waiting for that concrete proof.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #574
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
You see, that's just weird to me. It's strange to say it this way, but my lack of belief is not so specific that it's a rejection of religion but in a broader sense, a rejection of all spiritual claims.

I understand that it's possible that there's atheists who believe in ghosts, but then I find that to be outright wacky and short sighted on their part to lack a belief in a god, but to think there were ghosts...? I'd have to ask one how they rationalize that.
I'm having problems calling myself an atheist, lately. Maybe agnostic is more the proper term. Perhaps I threw off the religion I was raised with because it is hard for me to believe in an all-powerful male deity? I was raised by my Mother and Grandmother, so it probably makes more sense to see a potential 'god' as female rather than male.

I would prefer to have a pure non-belief, but I'm finding that rather difficult, sometimes.

Maybe this nazi chick that Saya's friend knew was in a transitional phase and not truly an atheist, but she lacked the realization that she was between beliefs? w/e

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #575
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasdeja View Post
and where did you find this stupid thing at ?