Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #1
Elder

Any sushi eaters here?

I find that it is such an elegant and artist food I've even learnt the techniques for making my own.
And for those not in the know, it isn't all raw fish, very little of it is.
It is very healthy.
It is very easy to make and eat.

Faves, Smoked Salmon Nigiri, Grilled teryaki mackerel Nigiri, crabstick,spring onion and advocado Maki roll, and Lumpfish caviar gunkan.

The layout and presentation of the food is important as the taste with Sushi, so it takes real skill to make some of the exotic types.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
spookypurple

I love tuna!

I make a fair bash at making it too.

What I find amusing is how it's been pushed in the media as raw fish, when that's just sashimi (major apologies if I've got that wrong!). And .... and, the amount of people who then complain about how they could never dreeeeeam of eating raw fish, but will happily wolf down cold-smoked salmon...

You should really talk to TwistedKitsune - she's a walking encyclopedia when it comes to anything Japanese.

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
roserougesang

I prefer the archetypal sushi. Tuna with rice and sushi wrapped around it, no wasabi thankyou, had bad experiences with it.

Come to think of it, why restrict this to just sushi, this could be a thread for all Japanese food. In the case of that, Tanuki Udon is my chosen favourite. The nearby Japanese restaurant makes the best udon.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:28 AM   #4
spookypurple

The first time I had Wasabi my nose exploded. Not literally, obviously. That would have just been unpleasant for the other diners.

I ate a piece the size of a pea.

Hamlet
Old 05-19-2006, 04:28 AM   #5
Elder

Thing is, it doesn't take a lot to "cook" fish.
Cold smoking will do it, as will adding lemon juice or vinigar (like some of the mackeral based sushi dishes) fish cooks or pickles so easily it is no longer considered raw.

I have to admin, when it coems to home made or supermarket bought sushi I always go for the obviously cooked stuff. If I was in a proper sushi bar, I guess talk to the Itamae and get his suggestons.
I've seen raw shrimp (ebi) and Sea urchin roe (Ouni) straight from the urchin advertised but haven't had the "balls" to try it yet. Still abit squeamish I guess. It isn't so popular in the UK yes to eat sushi apart from special occasions at very posh restaurants, or at the YoSushi! chain.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 AM   #6
spookypurple

One of my favourite places is Wagamama's.

Hamlet
Old 05-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #7
Nocturne

There is a small restaurant here that does vegetarian sushi, too. Cucumber, pickled plum, pickled Japanese pumpkin, spinach with sesame, some very non-traditional ones like soft Italian cheese (Mozzarella) and tomato, and my favourite: avocado I love wasabi - but it can be a painful experience
I've had Ebi, which wasn't raw. It was prawn though, not shrimp. I read in a sushi cook book, that crabs, prawns etc. and octopus is always served cooked - but I'm not sure concerning the octopus. It looked very - natural. And neither my husband nor myself had enough courage to try it, although it looked very pretty.
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:36 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
One of my favourite places is Wagamama's.
Only ever had YakiUdon at the Manchester Wagamamas. Cool concept though bench seating, everyone equal.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne
There is a small restaurant here that does vegetarian sushi, too. Cucumber, pickled plum, pickled Japanese pumpkin, spinach with sesame, some very non-traditional ones like soft Italian cheese (Mozzarella) and tomato, and my favourite: avocado I love wasabi - but it can be a painful experience
I've had Ebi, which wasn't raw. It was prawn though, not shrimp. I read in a sushi cook book, that crabs, prawns etc. and octopus is always served cooked - but I'm not sure concerning the octopus. It looked very - natural. And neither my husband nor myself had enough courage to try it, although it looked very pretty.
I actually do make some Vegetarian Maki to go along with the Salmon and prawn/shrimp.
The Girlfriend likes the red pepper cucumber and spring onion/scallion ones. She isn't veggie, but she isn't keen on many fish.

I did think about maybe trying making a roll with a plum sauce inside, using smoked Tofu and spring onion. The sweetness of the plump sauce and the bite of the onion would add the flavour while the smokiness of the tofu would add a depth and "texture" to it.

Hmmm, although not authentic, I can see how a Mozarella and tomato rull might work, especially if you used a sunblush tomato carefully drained of oil.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
bjork_freak

I mainly like vegetable sushi, with carrots and wasabi. I also like the occasional shrimp and salmon and on my sushi.

I'm hungry.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #11
nuksaa

Spent 2 weeks in Japan and it was a sushi/sashimi festival. My favorite is blue gill. Actually went on a deep sea fishing trip and caught a blue gill, much to the pleasure of the boat's captain. I was tired but the reward was a blue gill meal Japanese style along with a little pocket change.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #12
wishcat

I don't like anything from the sea, except tuna but it has to have alot of mayo and stuff in it, otherwise if I taste the fish in it, I can't eat it. It's too bad really cuz I know it's good for you.

I remember one time my sister and mom tricked me into trying sushi.
I came home from school and they had a big plate of dinner ready for me. It was eggrolls and some other stuff...can't remember what.
But when I asked what was in the eggrolls they said it was vegatables. So I sat down all excited with my meal, Then when I took a bite of the eggroll, OMG I almost puked! I had to run to the trash can and spit it out. I was like, "What was that?!"
My sis and mom were laughing saying they were made outta sushi. They thought me not likeing seafood was all in my head and wanted to see if they can trick me into eating and likeing it.
Man o' man was I angree and disapointed. I was all ready for those veggie eggrolls.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
end.of.eternity

I love sushi! It's my favourite food ever.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
A neat desert is bannana sushi, give it a quick fry with honey flakes, then roll in powdered sugar while it's hot and wot!

Yum.

That sounds gorgeous!

I'd like to try that - can I just ask you what honey flakes are?

Hamlet
Old 05-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
BADSEED

Philadelphia rolls, soft shell crab rolls, salmon rolls, and a big pile of seaweed salad.
BADSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #16
wishcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
egg rolls are not from the same location, spring rolls--yes, egg rolls--no. Also, one can not make sushi out of egg rolls, perhaps you missed what's been written, but sushi is ONLY ROLLED SWEET RICE.

Oh yea! I'm still not awake hehe. Back then I was like 15 years old and knew nothing about seafood. I still don't really know anything about seafood nor do I care since I don't like it.
Maybe I misunderstood the word, it was camaron I think that might have been shrimp?
Think I confused it with sushi. :P They must have been shrimp eggrolls, It was some sort of seafood eggrolls.

Point was... It was some sort of seafood and I was tricked into eating it and just simply couldn't. -.-
Old 05-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
spookypurple

Will do!

Thanks very much for that!

Hamlet
Old 05-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #18
Monsosin

I've never had the chance to try sushi, but I have eatin more then my shair of bugs. hotlix.com I think thats the site, but they have some good candied bugs, I like the BBQ meal worms, and the cricket suckers. I don't eat them all the time, but I do eat them at least once a year.
Monsosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #19
CreepyTendencies

I love vegetarian sushi! I've never made it myself, but I've always wanted to try.
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #20
succubus,queenofvampires

Yumm! I LOVE Sushi! It's one of my fave foods!

But, no wasabi for me, thank you.

Cartman(South Park): It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a woman's separation; this sort of penetration will
increase the population of the younger generation.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #21
spookypurple

I've got an interesting recipe for raw vegan roll-ups... I haven't quite gathered up the courage yet to try them. I think I may just have to have a big ol' sushi night sometime. Including those bananas.... Mmmmm....

Hamlet
Old 05-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #22
Twisted Ducky

Mmmm...sushi is certianly 1# on my list of favorite foods. I can't tell you exactly what I like in particular although, my dad always orders for me (he has all the experience). I do love seaweed salad though.

There is a too-good-for-words sushi restraunt in the city a half hour away. Last I time I was lucky enough to go there we ordered to sushi boat. An accutal (small) wooden boat with it's deck covered in a wide varitey of sushi.

My mom ordered the, oh how to you spell it....filet migmon? Brown on the outside, with a wonderfull pink interior. Juicey and tender enough to make you faint with pleasure.

Best thing was that they had real Jappaness(please correct, and forgive, my spelling) cheifs that cooked on your table. My younger brothers were absolutly delighted when our cheif made a volcano out of onions.

And although it's not sushi, the mango and red-bean ice cream is to die for. I think they also offer green tea, but they were out of that, sadly.
Twisted Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:32 AM   #23
Sanctus Dei

I adore the shit, I've become a rather veteran roller in my short sushi career.. I worked at Midori Mushi in San Francisco for a few months with the sashimi god himself The Rockstar Gerard... you haven't tasted the truth of sushi until you've tried his cusine. He had nothing as cliche' as philly or cali rolls.. every roll was unique from fresh - choice daily shipped fish.. fresh herbs and vegies.. he made his own teriyaki as well. The shop only sat five tables, but it was full almost every night.. (only open from 5pm-11pm) He made the best of San Fran from 2003-2005, I still can't believe I trained with him if only for a few months, but the lessons will last forever.

OH and my favorite roll ever... The Metallica. *crave*
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #24
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
You should really talk to TwistedKitsune - she's a walking encyclopedia when it comes to anything Japanese.
Wooooah, I'm a walking encyclopedia!

Sushi is my god. I'm a fair hand at making some of the simpler rolls, I actually hang out with one of the sushi chefs at the Japanese place I frequent so I pick up a bit of technique here and there. I've got quite the obcession with tuna and salmon sashimi...I have a mad crazy craving for raw fish about once a week. I'm an aaaaanimal!

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #25
Elder

Quote:
The first time I had Wasabi my nose exploded. Not literally, obviously. That would have just been unpleasant for the other diners.

I ate a piece the size of a pea.
Ouch, it only takes a very small amount, to hit the roof of the mouth in the right place and you can get quite a burn from it.