Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #726
ice

Uh, Franka Potente, and here are some pictures just to match up.

[img]http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.**********/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/anatomy/_group_photos/anna_loos1.jpg[/img]

Ok, well, I hope I wasn't hallucinating or anything, but there's a resemblance, eh?

edit: the first two were the only pictures of her from the movie, and the other two were snatched off the web from god knows where.

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:38 PM   #727
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Yep ^.^ It was great! Alll the kwaiidan films that I've seen, I like, but I've really only seen three.
Oh! Pretty! Avatar... want... may I please?!

Please do, Jane! ^_^
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #728
Jane13

Thankies !
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:20 AM   #729
Deadhymn

Susperia. CLASSIC Argento! anyone whos seen this: did you notice the M.C. Escher wallpaper in the bedroom shortly before the first murder scene?
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:40 AM   #730
Granny-like_the_apple

Garden State. My friend and I had both heard sooooo much about it, everyone kept saying how good it was, three of my really good friends went out of their way to badger me about seeing it because "it's so me."

We both hated it. So bad. And not the hilarious kind of bad, but the boring, not sure what's going on half the time and don't really care kind of bad. We ended up fast-forwarding through most of it, stopping at scenes that looked like they might be good. Not so much.

What I've realized from this is that those friends do not know me at all. To be fair, they all also made a point to say the soundtrack is so me, and from what I've heard it is, and I can kind of see where they saw a connection since one of the characters is a compulsive liar, but Jesus that movie was bad. And Natalie Portman's character was hella annoying. SHUT UP NATALIE. JUST. STOP. TALKING.

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:42 AM   #731
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny-like_the_apple
Garden State. My friend and I had both heard sooooo much about it, everyone kept saying how good it was, three of my really good friends went out of their way to badger me about seeing it because "it's so me."

We both hated it. So bad. And not the hilarious kind of bad, but the boring, not sure what's going on half the time and don't really care kind of bad. We ended up fast-forwarding through most of it, stopping at scenes that looked like they might be good. Not so much.

What I've realized from this is that those friends do not know me at all. To be fair, they all also made a point to say the soundtrack is so me, and from what I've heard it is, and I can kind of see where they saw a connection since one of the characters is a compulsive liar, but Jesus that movie was bad. And Natalie Portman's character was hella annoying. SHUT UP NATALIE. JUST. STOP. TALKING.
Dude- I totally called this. I knew that movie definitely wasn't "you".

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:48 AM   #732
Granny-like_the_apple

That seals it, then. We're moving to Massachusetts and getting hitched. Whoo-ha!

Old 03-20-2005, 01:01 AM   #733
Granny-like_the_apple

I forgot about dear old Franka up there. I personally don't see the resemblance, but that's the girl from Run Lola Run, right? Because I remember my friend saying that the girl from that movie looked like me. So maybe I'm weird for not seeing it, but I don't.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:30 AM   #734
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice
Uh, Franka Potente, and here are some pictures just to match up.

edit: the first two were the only pictures of her from the movie, and the other two were snatched off the web from god knows where.
I believe that one is from the Bourne Identity. Good movie. The 2nd left something to be desired, though.

I believe she was also the redhead in Run Lola Run, right? That was a really good movie, too.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:01 AM   #735
gingerbreadwench

The Ring Two.

Don't even get me started.

Okay, I'm started.

They tried to cram waaaaaaay too many 'clues' in this one that never even got resloved. Things were figured out by the characters that never really needed to be figured out. The acting was forced, the dialogue was ridiculous, and a gratuitous F-word in one 'intense' scene made the entire affair completely laughable.

Ugh. I could have bought a big ol' lattè with that six bucks.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #736
Jane13

I wonder if the new ring movie is based of of a second Ringu... I hate it when people make sequils that shouldn't exist >.< Like, 101 Dalamtions II. 101 Dalmation is a book, but the second? Nope. Oh-well.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #737
AlKilyu

The Life Aquatic.

I expected to not like it, cause I didn't like Wes's other two movies, but I actually liked this! The girls we were with apparently did not. I think their issue was that it ran on a bit in places, which it did.

Funny thing was, and Maimal knows this theater so he'll appriciate it, a mouse ran across the aisle in fron of me! The people I was with doubted me but the guy directly across from me started yelling about it, then him and his wife left.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #738
ice

Man, Al, I thought I wasn't going to like it either, but it's so weird, how can you not? Some bits in there I was laughing my head off at.. like when he was on the phone having a really sombre coversation, all the while rolling a joint :roll:

I saw The Sea Inside today. I was supposed to go with a girl, but she didn't show up. This is a Spanish movie that is ironically about a quadriplegic (sp?) who wants to die. All in all it was a pretty good movie, and eh, touching.
*Spoiler*
Especially his last "recording" right before he drank the cyanide water he had some friends make for him... and the letter he gave Julia.

7 of 10.

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #739
Granny-like_the_apple

Eh, The Life Aquatic was so boring. I can't remember who I saw it with, but I know we both didn't like it. It just wasn't funny. I was half-really excited and half-really not excited because I love Rushmore and couldn't take the parts of Royal Tenenbaums that I saw. So I wasn't sure what to expect. Turned out more Royal Tenenbaums than Rushmore, unfortunately. Damn I've been having really bad luck with movies in theatres lately. I should just give up.

[Sarah, was that with you? Was Leah there too? Why can't I remember this?]

Old 03-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #740
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny-like_the_apple
Eh, The Life Aquatic was so boring. I can't remember who I saw it with, but I know we both didn't like it. It just wasn't funny. I was half-really excited and half-really not excited because I love Rushmore and couldn't take the parts of Royal Tenenbaums that I saw. So I wasn't sure what to expect. Turned out more Royal Tenenbaums than Rushmore, unfortunately. Damn I've been having really bad luck with movies in theatres lately. I should just give up.

[Sarah, was that with you? Was Leah there too? Why can't I remember this?]
Yes that was me!! Oi- No, Leah wasn't there.

I just told you both those things on AIM, but I feel compelled to reassert them here.

PS- I barely know why I used the word "reassert" there. Is it a word? I think so, but I think I spelled it wrong and used it wrong. I'm sorry, God.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
Old 03-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #741
TeapotScar

I just saw "Suicide Club"! It was *amazing*. It was soooo funny, and sooo dark, and soooo disturbing. It's one of the best movies ever, I'd say. The concept is amazing. I think I need to watch it like 100 more times though, there's a lot to this one. Awesomeness.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #742
Jane13

I just watched Ed Wood- I loved it! My friend burned it for me as a birthday preseant. I'm totally going to start saying "You must be Hungarian, and you must be undead". My ansestry rocks... ok, that was really concieted. Sorry :oops:
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #743
Jane13

I just watched Ed Wood- I loved it! My friend burned it for me as a birthday preseant. I'm totally going to start saying "You must be Hungarian, and you must be undead". My ansestry rocks... ok, that was really concieted. Sorry :oops:
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #744
Loy

Just watched a bunch of kick-ass Spanish films that accent (and, in some cases, pre-date) the Asian-Wave horror flicks. Al, are you listening? Check these films out.

"In A Glass Cage"-John Waters called this one of the creepiest films ever. John Waters! Basic plot-former Nazi is getting old, is placed in an iron lung, and his care-taker happens to be a former victim. From this simple plot, a whole tale of creepy vengeance is woven.

"El Mar"-Made by the same guy who did "In A Glass Cage". Two boys and a girl grow up during the Franco regime and end up in a tuberculosis ward. Sexual tension, murder, and christianity all intermingle into a disturbing view of the human condition. An experience only comparable to "The Isle"

"Thesis"-the first film by Alejandro Amenabar (director of the amazing "Open You Eyes" and the so-so "Others"), and this ones a doozy. A college student is doind a project on violence in the media when her professor dies, and she views a tape......I won't say much more than that, but Al, this movie was made especially for you!

"Viva La Muerte"-Arrabal was part of the Panic Theatre troupe in Mexico (alongside Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moctezoma), and while "VLM" is full of pretensious faux-surrealism designed to shock, there's also a savage poetry that beats below everything. Check out "VLM", and it's (somewhat) follow-up, "I Will Walk Like A Crazy Horse". Everything you wished "El Topo" and "The Holy Mountain" could have been.

"Black Candles"-Sleazy "erotic" thriller that plays like a soft-core "Rosemary's Baby" knock-off. However, I don't know how you can call a film with bestiality "erotic". I know, it's fake and all that, but still.....My advise? See it once, then shut it away, or better yet, check out "Vampyres" (by the same director).

"Bunuel And King Solomon's Table"-Carlos Saura (if you don't know, check out his films from the 70's.....especially the ones with his former lover, Geraldine Chaplin. They're great) pays tribute to the great Surrealists Luis Bunuel and Federico Garcia Lorca (and the worthless hack, Salvador Dali) with this playful romp through mythology and art that really can't be explained away jusifiably.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #745
AlKilyu

Thanks! Manimal? Netflix? NOW.

I am weary of most pre ringu asian horror, because in my limited capacity movies like "Chinese Torture Story" come to mind. But now I have something new to look forward to, besides Sin City!

I think that people should see El Espinazo del diablo (aka The Devil's Backbone), would you agree Loy?

Teapot I am proud of you for seeing Suicide Club. Great, huh? Makes no sense, but still great none the less.

Proud of you too, Jane! I saw Ed Wood twice in the theater!

Oh and I recommend The Salton Sea. Not horror, but a great flick none the less. You get a revolation about Val Kilmer's character that I didn't see coming, and was great.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #746
Loy

Totally agree about "Devil's Backbone", but then again, I'm a huge fan of De La Iglesia (yes, I even like "Mimic" and "Hellboy", and yes, I'm excited about the "Mountains Of Madness" project). Some more suggestions for you

"Allucarda"-mexican film about witches with lots of blood and nudity, yet it's too artfully done to be "exploitation".

"Mansion Of Madness"-By the same director of "Allucarda", and earlier film that based on Poe stories.

"I'm Not Scared"-don't let the title fool you, it's a fucking awesome film.

"Intacto"-what is luck? Can it be stolen? Kafka meets Fuller, and it's got Max Von Sidow (!!!!)

"Denti"-black comedy from the maker of "I'm Not Scared" about a man with big teeth. Hilarious, insightfulm and odd in a cool way.

"Humanite"-OK, it's REALLY slow, and takes a while to get into, but once you're in, you can't look away. The film starts as a crime story, following an investigation of a brutal **** and murder, then follows the main detective and becomes a haunting character study that crawls under your skin.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #747
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
Totally agree about "Devil's Backbone", but then again, I'm a huge fan of De La Iglesia (yes, I even like "Mimic" and "Hellboy", and yes, I'm excited about the "Mountains Of Madness" project). Some more suggestions for you.
Thanks again!

(psst...don't tell Manimal, but I too liked Mimic and Hellboy...even Blade II!)
Old 03-24-2005, 04:51 AM   #748
TeapotScar

Okay, I just saw the cutest movie in all of ever; "Tokyo Godfathers". It's about three homeless people: One's a 40-something drunk, one's a 40-something drunk drag queen/homosexual, and one's a 16 year old girl who's six months on the run. They all kind of hang out together and get each other food and what not, and they find this baby who's been abandoned, and then the movie gets started with that. Now, I *hate* cute, sentimental movies, or anything that comes dangerously close to inspiring emotions in me. I cried during this movie, and I *s8ill* love it. I hate babies, and that baby is one of the main characters. It screams throughout the film, and I *still* loved this movie. The story of the 16-year old girl is amazing. The animation was spectacular (yes, it was anime), and the audio was also lively and intriguing (watch it with subtitles, because dubbing sucks with animes, in my opinion),

So, yeah- GO RENT TOKYO GODFATHERS. Has anybody seen it?

Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #749
SuicideJade

i'm getting to watch Ringu this weekend!!!! *WOOT*
al and loy have turned me into a japanese horror freak.. *damn your asses!*

i can't wait..

maybe i'll finally see something that will scare me... :shock:
Old 03-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #750
WolfMoon

Um, so I saw.........Robots and it was funny.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote