Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Expecto Sherlock

Educate me, oh shaded ones!

Aaaaaalrighty.

Through past experience with gothic culture and its relation to music, I thought I would phrase this in a different way than I do, usually. Culture interests me, but I am usually focused on the books and fashion more than the music. So, I supposed it would be easier to ask, instead of popping out of the box with "HAI GUISE, HOW 'BOUT THEM OWL CITY?" only to have my skull fractured by an enraged individual with a frying pan.

My musical tastes do not run with the "usual" gothic music that I've come in contact with. So, you lovely person who's dared to read this far without throwing things at my head, enlighten me? I'm interested.
Expecto Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Nightwalker39

I suppose that there is nothing particularly wrong with Owl City. Not my favorite band but their music is....tolerable. And most of the people that are on this sigh usually listen to any kind of metal or rock. Not really too much into alternative.
Nightwalker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker39 View Post
I suppose that there is nothing particularly wrong with Owl City. Not my favorite band but their music is....tolerable. And most of the people that are on this sigh usually listen to any kind of metal or rock. Not really too much into alternative.
On what sigh? Who lives on this sigh you speak of? I haven't heard of this sigh, is it only for elite awesomeness? How do you know what people listen to there, are you the all knowing god of this sigh? Because, I don't remember anyone saying they solely listen to metal on that sigh. I haven't even heard of the damned place.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Expecto Sherlock

I have an idea, let's start fights over typos.

@Nightwalker39 - Well, you're a pleasant change from some others I've spoken to. I say "Green Day," they say mostly "You idiot."
Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Murder.Of.Crows

Lol, no I just don't like him, or what he said. He has no idea what my music interests are, nor anyone else, yet has the audacity to tell you what they are. Owl city is very calming, I actually like them and I rarely listen to metal, fucking douche. I like much of Green Days older stuff, not really their second most recent cd and haven't listened to their newest cd.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Expecto Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
Lol, no I just don't like him, or what he said. He has no idea what my music interests are, nor anyone else, yet has the audacity to tell you what they are. Owl city is very calming, I actually like them and I rarely listen to metal, fucking douche. I like much of Green Days older stuff, not really their second most recent cd and haven't listened to their newest cd.
Then correct him instead of insulting. People respond better to plain words, but they attack if they are being attacked. Unless you get your kicks out of hating him. That's cool, too.

I like more of their newer music, actually, along the line of "Viva La Gloria."
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Murder.Of.Crows

I was the same way when I came here, "subtle criticism is the best route" and all. Then I learned that it doesn't work, they just continue being dicks. Now I would love for all of us to live here peacefully (damn it mir get out of my head), but that won't happen and will only result in problems.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Expecto Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
I was the same way when I came here, "subtle criticism is the best route" and all. Then I learned that it doesn't work, they just continue being dicks. Now I would love for all of us to live here peacefully (damn it mir get out of my head), but that won't happen and will only result in problems.

"They" being...?

I haven't had any trouble with this sort of thing before. When people are so monstrous as to hit me in the head with heavy objects, I've made a habit of laughing at them.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Pineapple_Juice

Hey did you guys ever hear of Justin Bieber? He has a movie coming out now too.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Murder.Of.Crows

Yup, i am looking forward to it. It is going to be the best movie about an adolescent teenager making it big by providing the world with crappy music. Much like other "great" artists like Kids bop and Hannah Montana. Seriously no other movie that fits that criteria, will be better. And it wouldn't even be possible if it weren't for our youths degrading their music tastes to anything that sounds like a whale ****** a cat. God bless the idiots of the new generation.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Expecto Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Hey did you guys ever hear of Justin Bieber? He has a movie coming out now too.

/melts into an inky puddle

Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Nightwalker39

A thousand pardons. I had meant to say site instead of sigh. And Murder.Of.Crows, he asked for peoples opinion, so i gave him mine.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Murder.Of.Crows

What irritated me, wasn't your opinion. It was how you stated what people on here like. As if you know any of them personally or somehow magically know exactly what their music interests are. Seriously, you've been here since January and know everything about the people here? Fuck, I still don't know if half of them are girls or guys, let alone music interests.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
Nightwalker39

My opinion. Like it, Do not like it. I do not care.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
Murder.Of.Crows

Oh but you do care, you not caring is but a farce. Otherwise why post anything at all.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #16
Nightwalker39

Allow me to specify. I do not care what you or any other member who wishes to trash someone that just wishes to voice their opinion has to say.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Murder.Of.Crows

For a reply, please read the comment above yours. Thank you.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
Nightwalker39

Expecto Sherlock, i apologize for this fighting when people should be answering your question. I apologize. But since you have heard my opinion, I shall depart. Goodbye.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #19
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker39 View Post
Expecto Sherlock, i apologize for this fighting when people should be answering your question. I apologize. But since you have heard my opinion, I shall depart. Goodbye.
Successful troll is successful. I know you be trollan, but I still want to hit you until you die.
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:32 AM   #20
MissCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expecto Sherlock View Post
Aaaaaalrighty.

Through past experience with gothic culture and its relation to music, I thought I would phrase this in a different way than I do, usually. Culture interests me, but I am usually focused on the books and fashion more than the music. So, I supposed it would be easier to ask, instead of popping out of the box with "HAI GUISE, HOW 'BOUT THEM OWL CITY?" only to have my skull fractured by an enraged individual with a frying pan.

My musical tastes do not run with the "usual" gothic music that I've come in contact with. So, you lovely person who's dared to read this far without throwing things at my head, enlighten me? I'm interested.
Doesn't matter what you listen to really. If you like it, that's cool. Personally, I can't stand more recent Green Day and I hate Owl City but that's me. You don't have to listen to goth music exclusively or even at all to be here if it's not your thing. Me, I listen to whatever the hell takes my fancy, ranging from goth, metal and alternative right through to jazz, dance and electro. If you want to hear some 'goth' music, start with Bauhaus, The Cure and Sisters of Mercy. Those three are enough to get a basic idea of what it's all about. If you don't like it, it's cool, check out the 'What are you listening to ' thread to get a better idea of what people on here are listening to.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
Expecto Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
Doesn't matter what you listen to really. If you like it, that's cool. Personally, I can't stand more recent Green Day and I hate Owl City but that's me. You don't have to listen to goth music exclusively or even at all to be here if it's not your thing. Me, I listen to whatever the hell takes my fancy, ranging from goth, metal and alternative right through to jazz, dance and electro. If you want to hear some 'goth' music, start with Bauhaus, The Cure and Sisters of Mercy. Those three are enough to get a basic idea of what it's all about. If you don't like it, it's cool, check out the 'What are you listening to ' thread to get a better idea of what people on here are listening to.
I wasn't trying to imply I needed to "listen to the right thing," I was just curious what people thought about the topic. Such a pleasant change from the last time I asked a similar question.

I've heard some Bauhaus and some from The Cure, but I have yet to listen to any from Sisters of Mercy. I think I'll try that one when I have time. And I'll head over and lurk in the thread mentioned.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #22
MissCheyenne

It's a cool thread to lurk in, there's a whole world of different things listed on that thread, some I like, some I don't but it's always nice to check out new things.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
Pineapple_Juice

That's what I'm saying about justin bieber. Goth as fuck.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #24
Khali-Witch

@Pineapple-Juice: My take on Justin Bieber is iew!!!Way too happy go lucky for me*shudders*.Give me Within Temptation's Fallen Angel or something fromChopin any time and i will be in Hell!
Khali-Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
Nightwalker39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khali-Witch View Post
@Pineapple-Juice: My take on Justin Bieber is iew!!!Way too happy go lucky for me*shudders*.Give me Within Temptation's Fallen Angel or something fromChopin any time and i will be in Hell!
Damn right.