Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Solumina

Yo vegans

Just what the heck is in vegan "bacon" and does it have any resemblance to actual bacon? The pictures I have seen don't really look a whole lot like bacon but I don't have any real world experience and I don't know anywhere around here that has it (other than in with processed foods and those don't look terribly appetizing) but I'm curious as I have no idea how you would replicate that smokey, fatty awesomeness without any actual smoke cured fat.

Also: I will hate anyone who turns this thread into an argument
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Saya

I always hated pork bacon and never enjoyed veggie bacon until I made a vegan double down, so I'm probably a bad person to ask, but I think liquid smoke is the key. As for fat, I've been meaning to try coconut bacon, apparently its really good. I've also seen recipes for tempeh bacon (AFAIK tofurky's bacon is really just packaged tempeh bacon with nothing scary in it) and eggplant bacon.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Solumina

Coconut bacon sounds rather interesting, I may just have to try that.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
shadowynne

i once had some vegan bacon that was mushroom based with smoked paprika as the main colourant and flavour... the most awesome thing i ever ate as a vegan, i dare say even better than the real thing! for the life of me i cannot remember the name. i have in the past used smoked paprika as a bacon flavour substitute in other recipes and it works great...

and sounds like phant...
shadowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Joker_in_the_Pack

Tempeh bacon is wonderful. It doesn't bare a lick of resemblance to the real thing, but it's delicious. I learned a long time ago you're better off enjoying foods for what they are than for what they're trying to be. Seitan slices are delicious on sandwiches, but not for two minutes do I think they're cold cut turkey.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Tempeh bacon is wonderful. It doesn't bare a lick of resemblance to the real thing, but it's delicious. I learned a long time ago you're better off enjoying foods for what they are than for what they're trying to be. Seitan slices are delicious on sandwiches, but not for two minutes do I think they're cold cut turkey.
Generally I agree, and its probably why I like veggie bacon now but never liked it before. But did you ever have Schneider's meatless chicken nuggets? Its scary close to the real thing, man. I almost suspect it actually is meat and they're just trying to trick us.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Joker_in_the_Pack

I've had similar experiences with Gardein fake meats, but it's been so long I no longer think I'm qualified to compare things to meat since I don't really remember the taste.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 05-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I've had similar experiences with Gardein fake meats, but it's been so long I no longer think I'm qualified to compare things to meat since I don't really remember the taste.
I made a vegan double down with gardein, I have no idea how it compares but I've been craving it since D:
Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Jackson Cutler

I've been meaning to go vegan for a test period for a while now. But I haven't really been arsed to do it yet.
Jackson Cutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I made a vegan double down with gardein, I have no idea how it compares but I've been craving it since D:
They're quite excellent. I'm very happy we sell them where I work so I don't have to go to a more expensive store like Whole Foods.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Haejin

Jack, Si se puede!!!
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
AshleyO

I really think I'd get fat if I went vegan.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote