Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
FallingInTheBlack

Dumped Because I'm A Goth?

I have a boyfriend, but there have been a few problems recently.

I have been a Goth for a while now, people have started noticing, and my friends are ok with it. But my boyfriend is not so accepting.

When ever he sees me in black clothes, he has to comment. ''Don't wear all black'' and stuff like that, basically moaning.

I now want to dye my hair black, but I'm not sure he'll like that very much. I'm starting to think ''Stuff him'' because this is who I am. I don't care if he don't like my taste in music and clothes. I love him, but I cannot let him get in the way of what I want to do.

Some of my friends even tried to change what I wear at one point, because everytime they see me I'm in black clothing. They also did not like me wanting to dye my hair, suggesting other colours, but I'm not listening. They seem to have got the message now, it's just my boyfriend.

I used to be very shy, and when we had non-uniform days at school, I would try to find something that was not black or anything to wear. Now I am passed caring what people think. I've been called an Emo alot, but that's just wrong.

Anyway, I just want to be accepted for who I am. But as ever, no one will do that. So it's just a case of stuff what they think.
FallingInTheBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Needlefeet

Dude... I've had a problem like this for a while. I don't see why people should care so much.
I don't have a go at people for wearing what they want so why should they?
If your boyfriend can't accept it, that's his problem.
If acceptance is what you're looking for, you're not in the right place.
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

Some day you'll remember these days and you'll think "dear god, I dressed like an idiot"
But if you stop 'being goth' and rather 'comply' with your boyfriend, you'll remember these days and think "dead god, I was such a loser"

It's a lose lose situation.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
Nightgaunt

Wear what you want, if he can't accept what you wear then he isn't worth your time.
Nightgaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
Still Jack

I've never been able to figure out why people get so offended about things as menial as :"Don't wear black all the time". I mean, it's not exactly: "I hope your grandmother gets ***** by syphilitic dogs" now is it?
Even if he is your boyfriend, just let it go. Just retort with things like : " Don't wear so much (insert colour of choice)".
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 AM   #6
MollyMac

Sounds like you need bigger problems in life.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
Needlefeet

Just start drinking shitloads of coffee, listen to the Sisters of Mercy, hang around the back of the school and call everyone (especially your boyfriend) a conformist.
Works for the South Park kids.
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Tam Li Hua

If you want to dye your hair black, that's cool, but be aware that you don't have to dye it black in order to be Goth, and it may be that your friends think you'd look better with another kind of outrageous hair color: bright pink, purple, red, white, a mix of any or all of these and more, etc.

As far as the clothing thing goes, yeah, folks are going to say something just because most folks aren't down with alt styles. If you want more ideas and support, check out a few of the links in my sig.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
Underwater Ophelia

Don't dye your hair black.
Not because it's "too goth," of course, but because your mother didn't pay good money for the towels you'll destroy when you do.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Tam Li Hua

Ophie has a good point. Either get it done professionally, or make sure you ask your mom which towel she doesn't mind getting ruined.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Solumina

Eh I've never made any mess dyeing my hair and even though I have always used an older, slightly ratty towel the only time that dye got on one was when I had a friend do it and it turned out that she had no idea what she was doing. Plus with the money that you save doing it yourself you could easily replace a towel or two. Just don't go black unless you are sure that you are going to want it that way for a bit cuz black dye is a bitch to get out.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Raveanya

Well I've learned over the years that if you just do it then people quit caring, act like it doesn't bother you like it's as plain and simple as the precious pink the cheerleaders worship and strip in.

I'm surrounded by extremist Christians who think ridicule will change me, but just remember when the sun is put out and aliens take over, goths will always survive. Camouflage and all that...*wink-wink* (Ok, maybe it's the pain meds talking... but hey, there's always some truth to everything.)
Raveanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
FallingInTheBlack

Thanks all.

My mum is also a goth and said black would suit me, but I'm gonna think about another colour, now that the point has been raised.

Beth.
FallingInTheBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #14
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveanya View Post
Well I've learned over the years that if you just do it then people quit caring, act like it doesn't bother you like it's as plain and simple as the precious pink the cheerleaders worship and strip in.

I'm surrounded by extremist Christians who think ridicule will change me, but just remember when the sun is put out and aliens take over, goths will always survive. Camouflage and all that...*wink-wink* (Ok, maybe it's the pain meds talking... but hey, there's always some truth to everything.)
Good to know that you are not a judgmental douche-canoe like the rest of "them". Good to know the bullshit *doesn't* oscillate both ways.

And no, there is not always some truth to everything. Truth is relative and tends to be subjective. And everything is in the realm of fact. Pull your bad dye-job our of your cornhole and read a book sometime.

Ok, maybe that was the pain meds talking.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #15
Raveanya

Ha, it's all in the dosage.
Raveanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveanya View Post
Ha, it's all in the dosage.
It's the truth and you know it.

And OP, you have a serious case of loving your subculture to the point of making it your whole identity more than you love anyone else or anything. Worry less about your future dye job and more about finding a book to read.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Serren

Don't worry about what other people think, unless you really like the way they dress. If you're BF doesn't like you for who you are then his probably not right for you. Some men can be a bit controlling over what their GF's wear, its usually not a good sign.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
KontanKarite

Hmm...

Best thing to do is dump your man and try wearing less black. Just get glad about mixing and matching colors because solid black IS boring as hell.

However, I can relate. My recent ex always took issue with my wardrobe because she thought it invited danger into our lives. Funny thing was how she admitted that had I looked plainer the first day she met me, she wouldn't have been attracted to me in the least. Then again, she also couldn't sit well with my slightly flamboyant antics and her own homophobia.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
Graveyard.Crow

Not everyone can handle how FAB you are
Old 06-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
KontanKarite

Eh. Shit happens.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #21
Graveyard.Crow

Just remember
to live long and prosper
Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #22
Noumi

So people suddenly become goth? =p
I read your story and it seems to me that last week you were a normal persona and now you're a gothy.
Anyway good luck with your bf, maybe he just misses the old you.

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
Delkaetre

Boyfriend- ask him why he dislikes your wearing all black so much?

Clothing- tried matching your black with dark red, emerald green, dark purple, silver, pewter, white? It's entirely possible to wear black with other things without suddenly losing all visible vestige of goth fashion. It's entirely possible to be a goth and visibly adhere to the clothing trends without dressing in black at all.

Hair- many other colours than black. Can be a bitch to get out when the roots start showing, too. Have you considered bright or extreme shades like letterbox red, neon pink, silver-blond and dark green, or even just a deep plum shade that's not likely to draw too much adverse attention yet will match well with your choice of dark clothing?
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #24
voodoowitchdr

I'm rather lucky because as a player of heavy metal it is accepted that I wear black and have long hair, even the "freak bashers" don't bother me anymore.
voodoowitchdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #25
Opteron_Man

That is um.....unfortunate?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote