Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #101
Chris_Morey

Do you like fish dicks?
Chris_Morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #102
Chris_Morey

Hey friends, just wanted to let you know that there's a free chapter from the new novel The Creeping Kelp by William Meikle now available for download in PDF format, here's the link:

FREE CHAPTER DOWNLOAD from The Creeping Kelp
Old 06-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #103
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up

The positive reviews for Multiplex Fandango by Weston Ochse keep rolling in. Read of a few of them:

Paperback Horror says "What we’re seeing here is quite possibly the most comfortable, relaxed, and expert takeover that the horror genre has ever seen." Read the rest of the review at:
http://www.paperbackhorror.com/2011/...ton-ochse.html

Dread Central says "There is not a single weak story in the sixteen, which makes picking the best of the bunch something of an exercise in futility." Read the rest of the review at:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/...-fandango-book

Shroud Magazine says "Weston Ochse is the real deal: a military veteran and former intelligence officer whose resume is no doubt peppered with events he can't talk about, who travels to exotic locales on government business to this day and lives with his wife in the American desert Southwest." Read the rest of the review at:
http://shroudmagazinebookreviews.blo...-fandango.html

If you folks know of a review of Multiplex Fandango by Weston Ochse that should be mentioned, let me know!

Finally, to read more about the book itself, visit its product page at:
http://www.darkregions.com/products/...ton-Ochse.html
Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #104
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up The Engines of Sacrifice by James Chambers, coming this Tuesday

Coming this Tuesday, June 14th from Dark Regions Press is a new collection of four Lovecraftian novellas, The Engines of Sacrifice by James Chambers:

Click here to read more about The Engines of Sacrifice by James Chambers!

In hidden places, they sleep and dream, and through their dreams they touch humanity--but their touch brings only the stains of horror, death, and madness...until the day the Old Ones return.

In The Engines of Sacrifice, acclaimed writer James Chambers delivers four nightmare novellas inspired by the Mythos of H. P. Lovecraft.

Investigation 37: In the late years of the Vietnam War, Lavender May runs away from home to search for freedom and peace in New York City, but instead, she finds only a world of magic, witchcraft, and lies.

The Ugly Birds: Only one thing could save Carmine Darabont's comics magazine from going under: publishing the next chapter of the hit series "The Otherworlders." But what dark secret drives its creator--Carmine's ex-fiancé--to refuse to deliver it?

The Hidden Room: At the height of the Cold War, Doctor Calvin Lenox is a member of the Nuclear Emergency Search Team. With his life spiraling into despair, he confronts the mystery of a runaway Soviet defector and the death of three men, only to find himself at the mercy of...the Faceless God.

The Engines of Sacrifice: What is the power of words? Can they control the fabric of reality? In a horrifying new world, underground author Rowley Cray struggles against a totalitarian government gone insane and the possibility that he can control the souls of the dead.

Praise for James Chambers:

"Chambers is adept at striking the perfect balance of darkness and light...." --Dark Wisdom

"...Chambers acknowledges the internal monsters of the psyche. He also adroitly addresses the external evils; those terrors that are kept at bay for the sense of sanity. --Hellnotes

"...for those who like their horror straight up and to the point..."
--Horror Fiction Review

"Chambers has a skill for evoking the emotions that are needed in the horror field." --David Agranoff, Postcards from a Dying World

"Chambers writes stories that are paced fast enough to friction burn a reader's eyeballs." --Horror Reader.com

About the author

James Chambers is the author of the short story collection, Resurrection House, published by Dark Regions Press. His numerous tales of horror, dark fantasy, crime, and science fiction have appeared in more than 30 anthologies and magazines, including: Bad Cop, No Donut; the award-winning Bad-Ass Faeries anthology series; Bare Bone; Cthulhu Sex; Dark Furies; The Dead Walk; the award-winning Defending the Future anthology series; The Domino Lady: Sex as a Weapon; Dragon’s Lure; The Green Hornet Chronicles; Hardboiled Cthulhu; Allen K’s Inhuman; Lin Carter’s Anton Zarnak: Supernatural Sleuth; New Blood; No Longer Dreams; Warfear; and Weird Trails.. He wrote the collection The Midnight Hour: Saint Lawn Hill and Other Tales, illustrated by Jason Whitley. He can be found online at http://www.jameschambersonline.com.

Click here to read more about The Engines of Sacrifice by James Chambers!

Publisher contact

Dark Regions Press
P.O. Box 1264
Colusa, CA, 95932
http://www.DarkRegions.com

Contact us directly with any questions or comments at:
support AT darkregionspress.com
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #105
MissCheyenne

You CANNOT be serious with that cover. Can you? Tell me no, lie to me Chris Morey, tell me it's just a work in progress. LIE TO ME DAMNIT!!

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #106
Chris_Morey

Yet you say nothing about the play covers that Despanan has. Interesting, selective criticism.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #107
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up

The Engines of Sacrifice by James Chambers is now available at DarkRegions.com! Read more about the book at:

http://www.darkregions.com/products/...-Chambers.html
Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #108
MissCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morey View Post
Yet you say nothing about the play covers that Despanan has. Interesting, selective criticism.
Des isn't trying to sell me his plays. You on the other hand, are trying to sell these works. Seriously, that cover is appauling. Based on that cover, I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in picking that book up. It matters Chris Morey, it matters.

EDIT : That cover (and I'm speaking ONLY about that cover) looks like a bad 80's childrens book cover. Is that your audience? Is that who you are trying to sell to?

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #109
Despanan

Also: It's important to note that Desp's graphics are FREAKING AWESOME.

The engine's of sacrifice cover is giving the "Disappeared" cover a run for it's money.

I mean: OW. Ow. Ow. Ow. It is literally burning my retinas. If I ran into that book irl I think I'd go blind, my eyes would pop out of my head and I'd die.

Congratulations Chris_Morey, you've created a Despanan trap. I hope you're happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #110
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up Gathered Dust and Others by W.H. Pugmire now available

Dark Regions Press is excited to announce that Gathered Dust and Others by W.H. Pugmire is now available in both our leather-bound signed by both author and artist Deluxe Lettered Hardcover with slipcase edition and 100 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover edition.

PREORDER SPECIAL: Order the 100 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover while its still in the preorder stage and get it at $5 off the cover price!

Click here to learn more about Gathered Dust and Others by W.H. Pugmire!

With his first collection from Dark Regions Press, W. H. Pugmire continues his radical and obsessive reinterpretations of H. P. Lovecraft's brilliant fiction. Among the book's original pieces is the title story, "Gathered Dust," a sequel to J. Vernon Shea's "The Haunter of the Graveyard." Set in Arkham, this tale of utter strangeness concerns the legacy of Randolph Carter and a monstrous burying ground where the phantoms of the past linger so as to feed upon the living. In "Depths of Dreams and Madness" we journey to Pugmire's Sesqua Valley, wherein we find Lovecraft's artist, Richard Upton Pickman and Robert E. Howard's mad poet, Justin Geoffrey, tainted by the valley's supernatural lunacy. With "These Deities of Rarest Air," Pugmire continues his exploration of the prose-poem/vignette sequence, in a work that deliciously evokes the mystic aura of not only Lovecraft but Clark Ashton Smith as we ll. With artful decadence and a pen dipped into the dark fin-de-siècle poetry of Oscar Wilde and Charles Baudelaire, Pugmire celebrates his beloved genre of fantastic fiction with works that only his cracked skull could conceive. Jeffrey Thomas has provided a provocative Introduction.

Pugmire's books include The Tangled Muse (Centipede Press, 2011), Some Unknown Gulf of Night (Arcane Wisdom Press, 2011) and The Strange Dark One--Tales of Nyarlathotep (Miskatonic River Press, 2011). His second book from Hippocampus Press, Uncommon Places, will be published next year. He is currently writing a collection of Lovecraftian tales with Jeffrey Thomas, for a book to be published by Dark Regions Press.

"Wilum Hopfrog Pugmire is the prose-poet of the horror/fantasy field; he may be the best prose-poet we have."
- S. T. Joshi

"In my opinion, he's the best living writer of Lovecraftiana."
- Toren Atkinson, of the band Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

"Sometimes subtle, sometimes as blunt as a rosewood coffin, Pugmire's stories are always emotional. Drawing from his own rather bizarre life, it's often difficult to separate the facts from the fiction, even for those who presume to know him."
- Ken Abner, editor of Terminal Frights

"Amazing and vastly underappreciated (but that is quickly changing! !!) Wilum H. Pugmire's unique Lovecraftian fiction has graced the pages of many(! !!) magazines and anthologies. This new release by Pugmire WILL taint the hearts of Lovecraftian fans with all manner of eldritch joys!"
- Joseph S. Pulver, Sr., author of SIN & ashes and Blood Will Have Its Season

Click here to learn more about Gathered Dust and Others by W.H. Pugmire!

About the author

W. H. Pugmire has been writing professionally since 1985. An obsessed H. P. Lovecraft fanatic, his work is most often in the Cthulhu Mythos vein. His many books, published and forthcoming, include THE TANGLED MUSE (Centipede Press), SOME UNKNOWN GULF OF NIGHT (Arcane Wisdom Press), THE STRANGE DARK ONE--TALES OF NYARLATHOTEP (Miskatonic River Press) and UNCOMMON PLACES (Hippocampus Press). He is currently working on two collaborative books: one with Maryanne K. Snyder, in which all tales will be inspired by the weird fiction of Clark Ashton Smith; and with Jeffrey Thomas, a series of tales concerning the sinister New England artist, Enoch Coffin -- forthcoming from Dark Regions Press.

Publisher contact

Dark Regions Press
P.O. Box 1264
Colusa, CA, 95932

Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #111
Chris_Morey

Oh okay, so artwork should only be judged if it's being sold? That almost makes sense. Wait a second, that makes no sense at all. You have proven yourself a moron. Please continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
Des isn't trying to sell me his plays. You on the other hand, are trying to sell these works. Seriously, that cover is appauling. Based on that cover, I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in picking that book up. It matters Chris Morey, it matters.

EDIT : That cover (and I'm speaking ONLY about that cover) looks like a bad 80's childrens book cover. Is that your audience? Is that who you are trying to sell to?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #112
MissCheyenne

You have proven yourself to be a senseless ass that doesn't give two shits about the community here but hey, feel free to continue. At no point did I say 'artwork is only to be judged if it's being sold'. What I DID say though, is that based on the poor quality of the artwork on the works that you ARE trying to sell, I wouldn't buy them. Why? Because they look terrible and leave me feeling that if you are going to use such shoddy, poorly thought out cover art, the work inside must be of equally bad quaility. You see what I'm getting at here? Would I buy a burger that looked like shit? No, no I wouldn't because I wouldn't be at all convinced that it could possibly taste nice when it looked so awful.

The artwork totally puts me off reading more about the books and I love to read.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #113
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
"W. H. Pugmire continues his radical and obsessive reinterpretations of H. P. Lovecraft's brilliant fiction. Among the book's original pieces is the title story, "Gathered Dust," a sequel to J. Vernon Shea's "The Haunter of the Graveyard." Set in Arkham..."
So this dude has no originality then? Reinterpretations are rarely/never a good idea.

Quote:
"Pugmire's unique Lovecraftian fiction has graced the pages of many"

I like this quote, it's funny. Some guy's unique writing style that is exactly like another authors. Bloody brilliant.

Well, okay the quotes being put aside. The cover art is, mediocre, it has too much going on, at the same time extremely simplistic. The title looks like someone found a painting they liked and photo shopped the title on the cover. Something to the extent a child would do for a school project.

The too much going on, is that, well I'm assuming the guy being lifted from the tree is supposed to be the main focus point of the cover, however everything around stand out all at the same time. There is not an exact focus point.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #114
Chris_Morey

Oh I see, so you're judging books by their covers. Well, it may interest you to know that Dark Regions Press won the Bram Stoker for 2010 Specialty Press award, one of the most prestigious awards a publishing company can get. And as you are apparently unaware, artwork is in the eyes of the beholder. We have received many positive comments on the art for Engines of Sacrifice. Remember, just because you don't like something doesn't mean others don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
You have proven yourself to be a senseless ass that doesn't give two shits about the community here but hey, feel free to continue. At no point did I say 'artwork is only to be judged if it's being sold'. What I DID say though, is that based on the poor quality of the artwork on the works that you ARE trying to sell, I wouldn't buy them. Why? Because they look terrible and leave me feeling that if you are going to use such shoddy, poorly thought out cover art, the work inside must be of equally bad quaility. You see what I'm getting at here? Would I buy a burger that looked like shit? No, no I wouldn't because I wouldn't be at all convinced that it could possibly taste nice when it looked so awful.

The artwork totally puts me off reading more about the books and I love to read.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #115
Chris_Morey

You clearly have never heard of Lovecraftian fiction, it's an entire sub genre of fiction inspired by the mythos of Lovecraft. Did you catch that? Inspired by the mythos. This does NOT mean they are blatantly copying his prose, are you being serious?

I think what this boils down to is, 99% of the people in this thread really have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to modern literature or the publishing industry, as evident by nearly all of the replies.

We have also received many compliments on the artwork for Gathered Dust and Others, and the author is thrilled about it, so please stop trying to act like you know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
So this dude has no originality then? Reinterpretations are rarely/never a good idea.

I like this quote, it's funny. Some guy's unique writing style that is exactly like another authors. Bloody brilliant.

Well, okay the quotes being put aside. The cover art is, mediocre, it has too much going on, at the same time extremely simplistic. The title looks like someone found a painting they liked and photo shopped the title on the cover. Something to the extent a child would do for a school project.

The too much going on, is that, well I'm assuming the guy being lifted from the tree is supposed to be the main focus point of the cover, however everything around stand out all at the same time. There is not an exact focus point.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #116
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up 30% off everything at DarkRegions.com 4th of July sale

Well since the vibes are so great in here, why don't I try to sell you some books?

For the next five days you can get 30% off your entire order at http://www.DarkRegions.com using coupon code:

JULY4TH

In the final stage of checkout. This special will be gone by midnight, July 5th!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #117
Despanan

Well being that I haven't trolled you in a while:

This is how you do cover/poster art Chris Morey:

Notice how it doesn't hurt your eyes and make you want to kill yourself?

Go for that next time.
Quote:
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #118
Murder.Of.Crows

Holy shit, that is badass Despanan. At first I thought Morey posted it, and I was all like, "well that's how you do it." But it wasn't him.

I like the subtle way it tells the story without random clutter that doesn't belong together. The color scheme is simplistic, but makes me want to see how it develops. If this was a book, I would buy it.

On a side note, you should seriously video tape your plays and throw them on a dvd, I am growing ever more curious of your plays and would love to see one, however I live on the other side of the country. I would so be willing to buy them if you had dvd's.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #119
Grausamkeit

It does remind me of Monty Python and that makes it great. Everything's better with Monty Python.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #120
Despanan

Quote:
Holy shit, that is badass Despanan. At first I thought Morey posted it, and I was all like, "well that's how you do it." But it wasn't him.

I like the subtle way it tells the story without random clutter that doesn't belong together. The color scheme is simplistic, but makes me want to see how it develops. If this was a book, I would buy it.

On a side note, you should seriously video tape your plays and throw them on a dvd, I am growing ever more curious of your plays and would love to see one, however I live on the other side of the country. I would so be willing to buy them if you had dvd's.
Thanks. My guy really knocked it out of the park with this one.

As for my plays, I have two short ones on tape, but they haven't been edited, and I'll probably get someone to tape "Mic."

As for selling DVD's, that is a possibility, though I'm hesitant to do so when it comes to plays. Theatre is something you really have to see live, and tends to lose alot when it's put on film.
Quote:
Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #121
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up New werewolf novella Arena of the Wolf by Jim Gavin

Dark Regions Press is excited to announce that the new werewolf novella to continue our novella series, Arena of the Wolf by Jim Gavin is now available for preorder in both our leather-bound signed by both author and artist Deluxe Thirteen Hardcover with slipcase edition and our 100 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover edition!

PREORDER SPECIAL: Order the 100 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover while its still in the preorder stage and get it at $5 off the cover price!

Click here to learn more about Arena of the Wolf by Jim Gavin!

Jerry is an over-the-road trucker with a couple of exes and a few late payments to make. Sometimes it seems like the least of his problems is that he's a werewolf - until he wakes up in the middle of a rodeo where he's the bull! Forced to compete in bizarre, brutal events for the pleasure of a bloodthirsty crowd, where death is "extreme sports entertainment" for the masses. Jerry must choose between a prisoner's life in a world where his curse makes him a star and a life of freedom that he knows can only end one way - a silver bullet through the heart. A desperate man's struggle with despair and hope is just another show in the ...

ARENA OF THE WOLF

About the author

Jim Gavin is a hard-drinking, cigar smoking, unfrozen caveman writer. Working from a wide range of interests and influences like action movies, detective fiction, pulp and pre-war sci-fi and bizarro surrealism, his writing tends to cross genre boundaries. He lives and works at night with his wife in Atlanta, Georgia.

Publisher contact

Dark Regions Press
P.O. Box 1264
Colusa, CA, 95932

Click here to learn more about Arena of the Wolf by Jim Gavin!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #122
Despanan

Looks like those dudes are having themselves a good, old-fashioned hairy pig rodeo.

Still, that's one of the better one's I've seen. And hey, your author photo looks like he actually posed for it, as opposed to being ambushed by some dark regions folks in his backyard.

I mean YEAH you caught him in his Hugh Hefner costume from Halloween Express, but he doesn't look like he should be selling fishsticks is what I'm saying.

This is a massive step-up in quality.
Quote:
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #123
Chris_Morey

Geez, how much smoke can one guy blow?

Quote:

Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #124
Chris_Morey

The leather-bound signed by both author and artist Deluxe Lettered Hardcover with slipcase edition of our new book Gathered Dust and Others by W.H. Pugmire has sold out. The 100 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover is still available but selling quickly. If you order it now you will get the preorder special for $5 off the cover price. More info here: http://www.darkregions.com/products/....-Pugmire.html
Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #125
Despanan

Quote:
Geez, how much smoke can one guy blow?
Well considering this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morey
We have also received many compliments on the artwork for Gathered Dust and Others
It would seem folks are capable of quite a bit, or you market directly to stupid people with no sense of taste (and in the case of gathered dust, the weight of a human body)...wait, that's a distinct possibility.

So here's my question Chris: Why is Dark Regions by invitation only? Do you not have the funds to pay a reader to sift through solicitation letters, or is this just a good 'ol boy thing?

It would seem to me that a small press company like yours would be a good place for an aspiring horror-writer to start his or her career, and you could certainly benefit by having an author under the age "OMG SO F-IN' OLD".

Aside from your "Hard-Boiled Vampire Killers" dude, your author base seems to be entirely composed of my Dad's highschool buddies. Some new blood might really help you guys grow and reach "the kids".

How do you find people? Do you sift through Dragon Magazine looking for a new author, or does Dark Regions take agent submissions or something? Do you grow them in vats like the fishstick man? Do you pull homeless people off the street and give them 5 bucks, a bottle of Mad-Dog, and a Pen?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Quote: