Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #151
JCC

If the only sexual interaction I was to ever get was to be a hug by treating women with the respect that they deserve then I would be happier than being a manipulative and callous asshole getting sex every night who only cares about the nerves in his penis.

I've never even read this book and think that the author's a cunt, and I've only been given a brief analysis.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #152
prophecyofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecyofdoom
I don't believe that book endorses being callous and predatory
Well, your beliefs are quite wrong. Have you read the book? It's widely known to promote the notion of the compassionless Lothario as the ideal man.
Yes, I've read the book. Have you? It does not endorse the notion of a Lothario as the ideal man, it just explains how such a person is so successful at seduction. The book is about learning how to win someone's affections in the first place, not about maintaining a relationship so that issue is not discussed. The book relates outrageous incidents of physical conquest, but this is done as entertainment, not portrayal of an ideal way to conduct your affairs. I found it an entertaining and motivating read, it is actually kept in both the "relationship" section and the "business" section of bookstores because it's techniques can be applied to the business world as well.

Quote:
The object of the techniques delineated in the book certainly isn't to hurt people, but nor is it to form the sort of meaningful, reciprocal relationship women so often imagine they want. The goal of the book is to teach its readers how they can persuade any given person to have sex with them, and therefore treats the fairer sex not as human beings possessed of needs, or any depth whatsoever beyond their physical appearance and exploitable insecurities, but rather as tools to be used.
The book is directed at women as well, and suggests that in order to get to what you want from someone, be it sex or a relationship or whatever, we take the time to observe and get to know them, to put some thought and effort in it, and take some enjoyment in the process. That's basically the book's point, that the beginning of a new romance is enjoyable and fun and exciting, and ought not to be hurried through just to get to the end result but prolonged and savoured. I think the more people learn that, the better for all of us
Quote:
Quote:
The desire of a man to be a rake(as in, a seducer of women) is surpassed only by the desire of a woman to meet one
All this quote means is that the author feels women are naturally more attracted to he who hones the skills of the seducer, not that a relationship with such an individual, whose approach to romance virtually requires amorality, is particularly healthy or desirable. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate this book, but I'm an unrepentant asshole and love only myself. I've never heard any woman suggest that a man use it as a guide to relating with her sex.
No. The quote is about how intoxicating it is to be with someone so attentive and full of passion in a way that most other people are not, even if such an encounter is short-lived.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #153
gothicusmaximus

Prophecyofdoom, are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Art of Seduction
Successful seductions rarely begin with an obvious maneuver or strategic device. That is certain to arouse suspicion. Successful seductions begin with your character, your ability to radiate some quality that attracts people and stirs their emotions in a way that is beyond their control. Hypnotized by your seductive character, your victims will not notice your subsequent manipulations. It will then be child's play to mislead and seduce them.
That's just from page one. Words with creepy, predatory connotations bolded for emphasis.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #154
prophecyofdoom

It is not creepy. I agree with that selection one hundred percent.

As a female, when men come up to you with the blatant intention of hitting on you, it just puts you on the defensive and you want to make them go away! At the very least you feel pursued and uncomfortable and on guard. If a man can make a woman feel that she is being approached from some other reason, though.. She can relax. Talk to the person a bit. Decide if she likes them or not. Especially if said woman already has a significant other. Even if she is unhappy with her situation, she will still instantly turn away anyone who approaches her to try and ask her out. If a guy can somehow find a different reason to interact with her, it would be a different story. What that paragraph is saying, is don't just walk up to someone and ask for their number. Instead, find a way to interact with someone in a way that lets them see how desirable you are first.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #155
Stormtrooper of Death

Korinna, thank you so much. *hugs* I've never had anybody be this nice to me before.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #156
KontanKarite

Ok, this book makes my bowels shudder...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #157
Stormtrooper of Death

I don't need books, I just stand in the corner anyways, that's where the party is people!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #158
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
It is not creepy. I agree with that selection one hundred percent.

As a female, when men come up to you with the blatant intention of hitting on you, it just puts you on the defensive and you want to make them go away! At the very least you feel pursued and uncomfortable and on guard. If a man can make a woman feel that she is being approached from some other reason, though.. She can relax. Talk to the person a bit. Decide if she likes them or not. Especially if said woman already has a significant other. Even if she is unhappy with her situation, she will still instantly turn away anyone who approaches her to try and ask her out. If a guy can somehow find a different reason to interact with her, it would be a different story. What that paragraph is saying, is don't just walk up to someone and ask for their number. Instead, find a way to interact with someone in a way that lets them see how desirable you are first.
The message of that passage isn't "don't come on too strong", it's "conceal your motivation so your target lets her guard down and allows you to trick her more easily in the future".
I don't really want to have this argument any longer if you're going to defend this book, which repeatedly uses the term 'victims' in reference to the objects of one's seductive efforts, as one that a guy whose main problem is lack of respect for women should read in order to improve his approach to the opposite sex.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #159
Duane

I don't lack respect for women in general, just those who have given me good reasons not to respect them. Just making that known.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #160
KontanKarite

Would that be every girl that turned you down?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #161
Duane

No need for that Kontan...
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #162
KontanKarite

You know what, you're right. There isn't a need for it. Fuck this conversation. It got real lame, real quick.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #163
Stormtrooper of Death

So Kontan! How's it going man?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #164
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Horrible whining that keeps the ladder theory alive and well
Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
You know what, you're right. There isn't a need for it. Fuck this conversation. It got real lame, real quick.
(Oh, how this thread got hijacked)
Do I need to tell you how perfect your icon is for that quote?

http://www.*********************.com/Nice_guy
Read the something positive bit with the quickness.

And thank you, AD.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #165
prophecyofdoom

The book is written in a way that appeals to people who are looking to seduce and lets them know why it's in their best interests to slow down and get to know what someone likes and what kind of behavior they find attractive, because everything is so much more enjoyable for everyone that way. Reading the book would improve anyones approach to the opposite sex. I was thinking of it from the point of view of a person who just wanted to find someone. Now that I look with your eyes I see that a serial killer could easily hone his approach that way as well and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it. But when I read it I didn't take that "victim" stuff all that seriously... The book isn't telling you to subdue and overpower women after all, it's telling you how to be charming so she'll want you.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #166
KontanKarite

Thanks, Loli. I think my avatar is quite funny in times like these. Also, ED is so god damned right. Really...

Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #167
prophecyofdoom

Shit Kontan, for someone who had such a good time last night you seem to be in a rather crabby mood. I recommended a book I enjoyed and had a message I found worthwhile. So sue me.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #168
KontanKarite

Quote:
Shit Kontan, for someone who had such a good time last night you seem to be in a rather crabby mood. I recommended a book I enjoyed and had a message I found worthwhile. So sue me.

I know, right? Damn. I blame it on my foolishness of imbibing too much alcohol and having to deal with being dehydrated and ill. It is, my bad.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #169
Jaye Jang

Eeeeek! I've been threadnapped. (Oh, well. What the heck. I created this thread because I was feeling contrary. Sorry Duane. I figured if we had a thread for the top ten 'worst', the ten 'best' deserved equal parity. Am I forgiven for stealing your 'thunder' or do I have to go sit in the corner?) By the way, GM, I still want to borrow your parents. Would they be available say, next Tuesday?
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #170
prophecyofdoom

I think everyone largely exhausted the possibilities of the top 10 gnetters discussion... I guess the top then threads was just too much work to look up.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #171
Jaye Jang

Prophecy,

You are so right. With 16,000+ members on the board, a top ten anything leaves you with 15,900+ unhappy campers. Best just to let it die an ignominious death.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #172
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEED REBELION!!!
*reads list with a look of horror upon her face

Im not on anyones list..

Uhhh my life is whithout meaning.
I could say the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:11 AM   #173
Jaye Jang

Okay, Sophia and Bleeds, You are both on my list already, but if it makes you feel better, now it's official. S'alright?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #174
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang
Okay, Sophia and Bleeds, You are both on my list already, but if it makes you feel better, now it's official. S'alright?
Yay! Thank youuuu *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #175
Godslayer Jillian

This thread would have boosted my ego had it not been just a mushy attempt to make everyone feel good rather than a real objective admission of value.
Therefore, I invoke GothicusMaximus to make the perfect, unobjectionable, Top Ten list that contains exactly ten individuals. Hells yeah.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote