Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #51
Ben Lahnger

Some forms of segregation have been deemed illegal, social or otherwise. If the people who were excluded from society in the past had just said, "Fuck it, they're assholes, I don't want to hang with such bigots" and not pursued justice, where would we be? Social injustices are ruled on and laws are passed to prevent them on a regular basis in this country. In fact, there's one that's being proposed right now called the Student Non-Discrimination Act (HR 4530) that attempts to make sure this can't be done again.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #52
Alan

I bet you anything you fucking want you put these kids in any other scenario and they won't even remotely act homophobic.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #53
Entropic

Here's a question no one has asked: Were there any other lesbians at the prom?
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #54
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Some forms of segregation have been deemed illegal, social or otherwise. If the people who were excluded from society in the past had just said, "Fuck it, they're assholes, I don't want to hang with such bigots" and not pursued justice, where would we be? Social injustices are ruled on and laws are passed to prevent them on a regular basis in this country. In fact, there's one that's being proposed right now called the Student Non-Discrimination Act (HR 4530) that attempts to make sure this can't be done again.

I somehow doubt that this bill would prevent this kind of thing from happening. No amount of legislation will prevent bigots from being bigots unless bigotry is outright deemed unlawful and it's not.

The school should be fined for not even having the prom, these assholes should be smarter about how to be bigots, they should also be constantly publicly shamed and reminded as to how much they are bigots.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #55
creature6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
I somehow doubt that this bill would prevent this kind of thing from happening. No amount of legislation will prevent bigots from being bigots unless bigotry is outright deemed unlawful and it's not.

The school should be fined for not even having the prom, these assholes should be smarter about how to be bigots, they should also be constantly publicly shamed and reminded as to how much they are bigots.
Agreed....
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #56
KontanKarite

As for your link, Lahnger, I did send it out to whomever it was sent to through them. Hopefully it does help because it may not prevent stuff like this from happening, but it may help make things better for everyone at schools nationwide.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #57
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
Here's a question no one has asked: Were there any other lesbians at the prom?
I think they'd post it if another lesbian couple were allowed to go as a couple, wouldn't they use that as proof that "we're not bigots!" instead of starting a facebook group "Constance quit yer crying" where they talk about the abomination that is homosexuality? Sad thing is chances are there are other gay classmates that are in the closet, one of my friends tells me his high school was homophobic, and he would often do and say really nasty things to the few students who were out, even though he's gay.

They also sent two students who had learning disabilities to the fake prom. Hooray for non-diversity, I guess.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #58
Tam Li Hua

I have to say, I think both sides have taken Prom far too seriously.

I don't know which side to believe at this point, to be honest; I can see the possibility of both, I guess. I dunno.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #59
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
I have to say, I think both sides have taken Prom far too seriously.

I don't know which side to believe at this point, to be honest; I can see the possibility of both, I guess. I dunno.
What, you don't believe that the school cancelled prom rather than let a lesbian couple show up? Because they pretty much admit to it.

Its not about taking prom too seriously, its about discrimination in public schools.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #60
Tam Li Hua

No, I mean about the alternate prom vs. the party. I can't decide if they really did that to embarrass the lez chick, or if they just wanted some peace and quiet.

My opinion, they should have just let the girl come to regular prom. Would have saved everyone a LOT of trouble.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #61
Saya

If it was really just for peace and quiet, why did they do it to five other students that they apparently also pick on a lot? And why start the facebook group? And besides, in that same post, again, she mentions that she just doesn't want Constance to get her own way and drag the school through the mud, its stupid to say it wasn't about sticking it up to Constance when you later go on to say that it was exactly that.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #62
Ben Lahnger

The law would address the kind of institutionalized bigorty that was exhibited by the school board (which IS a tax payer funded organization), which might prevent the kind of actions that started this thing.

Constance has asked her supporters to not seek any kind of retribution against her classmates. But it doesn't sound like the door is closed on further civil action against the school board. I would like to see how the judge's decision in the first case to accept the school board's reprentative's statement that Candace would be invited to the private prom would be interpreted in further action.

Interesting sidebar: my sister, who is an extremely conservative religious person, said, "Even though I believe homosexuality to be unhealthy, the behavior of the school board and her classmates was just mean."

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #63
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Interesting sidebar: my sister, who is an extremely conservative religious person, said, "Even though I believe homosexuality to be unhealthy, the behavior of the school board and her classmates was just mean."
Really? Your sister is uber conservative? I can't imagine this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your family gatherings.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #64
Ben Lahnger

Yeah, she used to be much more progressive, but she got married then joined this church and ... whoopsie!

I get into half-arguments with her from time to time (mind you, I tend to be a moderate centrist but will back a good idea, weighed on it's own merits, from either party) ... but I know there's a line I walk up to and then stop so I don't create a hostile family environment. And I don't have much trouble keeping quiet when she goes on a conservative rant.

I just wish she'd stop praying for me so much.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #65
Solumina

If those kids really did just want to have a dram free party they would have held the events on separate dates. Have one real prom and then have another party. It would have cost the same amount (perhaps quite a but less as you could try and get a discount from vendors for booking them for two events) and, more importantly, the students who honestly just want to have a good time wouldn't have had to pick between doing the right thing or continuing to be socially accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
I only wonder if Ellen will retract the scholarship 3 weeks from now when whats-her-face renounces her lesbian relationship as "a phase" like 90% of high school girls do.
This right here really pisses me off. Women have fluid sexuality. It isn't like male sexuality which tends to be fairly ridged, it is normal for a woman to be bisexual during her late teens. It isn't about attention or rebellion, sure that has a lot to do with it becoming a popular fact to advertise, but the same number of women would be attracted to other women for a period of time, they just wouldn't feel the social pressure to denounce their actions later.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #66
Underwater Ophelia

I don't have a problem with them excluding Constance either because they don't like gays or because they blame her for not having a real prom.

Why'd they have to also exclude the mentally disabled kids?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #67
Solumina

My guess is that they didn't trust peer pressure to keep them from telling Constance. That or they aren't comfortable around the mentally handicapped and thought that having them there would make prom less fun.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #68
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Believe it or not, I actually don't like to derail discussions with tangential remarks, but I have to say-- god, this is dumb.
Huh.. upon closer inspection, yeah it is.

Strike that from the record.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #69
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I bet you anything you fucking want you put these kids in any other scenario and they won't even remotely act homophobic.
Nothing about this situation supports that hypothesis. Besides, even if it's true, it's not as though they're little kids - they're old enough that "Waaaah!! I want PROOOOOM!" isn't an excuse for not taking a stand. It isn't even about whether they liked the chick or not.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #70
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Really? Your sister is uber conservative? I can't imagine this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your family gatherings.
You should meet my family.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #71
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
If it was really just for peace and quiet, why did they do it to five other students that they apparently also pick on a lot? And why start the facebook group? And besides, in that same post, again, she mentions that she just doesn't want Constance to get her own way and drag the school through the mud, its stupid to say it wasn't about sticking it up to Constance when you later go on to say that it was exactly that.
You have excellent points that I can't argue with.

I don't understand what's wrong with that school. Even for the South..even for Mississippi...this is really ridiculous.

Ophelia, that's an excellent question as well. I think that at that point, perhaps the kids really were just being selfish, mean little bastards.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #72
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
I don't have a problem with them excluding Constance either because they don't like gays or because they blame her for not having a real prom.
Did a man wearing a hat labelled 'Common sense' hit you with a spade recently, leading you to embark upon a savage quest of vengeance to completely undermine any vestiges of the remotely sensible? Everything you have posted in the last couple of days has me inching closer and closer to a fucking aneurysm.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #73
Ben Lahnger

JCC, I was thinking the same thing. And it surprised me, because I had previously come to respect Ophelia's opinions, even when I disagreed. But the last few days ...

Quote:
I don't have a problem with them excluding Constance either because they don't like blacks or because they blame her for not having a real prom.
Ophelia, how does it sound if we change the word "gays" to "blacks"? And why would you be concerned about discrimination against the mentally handicapped but not about discrimination against gays? What kind of world-view do you have to have to make those two different things?

Or have you joined with the hateful children of this Mississippi high school in blaming Constance for the turn of events?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #74
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Did a man wearing a hat labelled 'Common sense' hit you with a spade recently, leading you to embark upon a savage quest of vengeance to completely undermine any vestiges of the remotely sensible? Everything you have posted in the last couple of days has me inching closer and closer to a fucking aneurysm.
I don't have a problem with you not understanding the things I say.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #75
JCC

Quote:
I don't have a problem with you not understanding the things I say.
Explain, we're all ears.