Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
WarlockSix

If you were a fictional character . . . ?

If you were a character from a book, who would you be?

It's always interesting to read of a character that identifies with some aspect of your persona for obvious reasons.

My sensibilities rest with Lord Henry Wotton (The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde), and Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen).

Who are you, in literary form?
WarlockSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
the-nihilist

A background character who dies off early in the series that no one really cares or knows much about, who's only purpose was to add to the atmosphere of whatever scene.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Underwater Ophelia

It's stupid, but I think Claudia from Interview.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Duane

Samwise Gamgee from LOTR.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Still Jack

Ah. I think Dorian Gray.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
Saya

I think Elphaba from Wicked.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Lord Whiskerton

O'Brien from 1984

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
A background character who dies off early in the series that no one really cares or knows much about, who's only purpose was to add to the atmosphere of whatever scene.
A most delightful response, sir.

I must say, though, a few of the other answer in this thread give me pause. In some instances, I almost suspect that the character was chosen not for personal similarities, but out of admiration for said character and/or the literary work in which they appear.

Miss Saya, do you truly believe yourself to be a misunderstood, social outcast who practices magic and suffers from a verdant skin condition? Mr. Jack, are you implying then that you have engaged in extensive acts of vice and depravity in your life, all whilst maintaining an unblemished countenance of youthful beauty?

Perhaps I am being a bit overzealous in my interpretation of the thread's intent, but it would interest me to see explanations as to why those who have replied feel comfortable associating themselves with their chosen literary personas.

For my part, I have given the question considerable thought and have yet to stumble across a character that reflects my own personality and traits. *continues to ponder*
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
Miss Saya, do you truly believe yourself to be a misunderstood, social outcast who practices magic and suffers from a verdant skin condition? Mr. Jack, are you implying then that you have engaged in extensive acts of vice and depravity in your life, all whilst maintaining an unblemished countenance of youthful beauty?
Thats Ms. Saya :P The OP clearly stated

"It's always interesting to read of a character that identifies with some aspect of your persona for obvious reasons."

I don't think I'm a witch, I identified with a character who is. Well, Elphaba the way she was before Fiyero died. She was awkward, geeky and quiet but passionate about what she believed in. The way she interacted with other characters could sometimes make me feel embarrassed, I could put myself in her shoes that easily. Even her relationship with Fiyero I could relate to, in the way she didn't really want him to get involved for serious and just wanted it to be all fun and games, even though she loved him a lot. She was even into Animal Rights. I haven't read the book in a long time so I don't really want to go through a huge list of things I vaguely remember (and may be getting mixed up with the musical) but I do remember thinking that I had a lot in common with her when she was young, and I don't think I've thought that about any other fictional character as an adult.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #10
Pineapple_Juice

Betsy Taylor from the Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson. She is AWESOME.

I'd do me if I were her.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
the-nihilist

I would be His Royal Highness Prince Roger Ramius Sergei Alexander Chiang Maclintock! The tertiary heir to the throne of The Galactic Empire of Man!

After surviving an assassination attempt which caused him and his battalion of elite space marine bodyguards to crash land on the savage, primitive, barbaric, and extraordinarily hot three sunned planet of Marduk, he and his bodyguards had to trudge halfway around the planet facing the hostile and dangerous wildlife along with barbarian hordes of the planet's inhabitants!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

Guy from Fahrenheit 451. I've always been optimistic about what happens after the book.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
SiouxsiePernova

Most likely one of The Endless.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post

For my part, I have given the question considerable thought and have yet to stumble across a character that reflects my own personality and traits. *continues to ponder*
You haven't found a generally nice character that comes off as a pompous windbag?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #15
Faeir

Someone that can be hyper and happy to the point of annoyance, but in reality, can be rather dark, selfish and even manipulative?

that's how I see myself. I haven't read a decent book for quite a while. Any ideas?
Faeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
You haven't found a generally nice character that comes off as a pompous windbag?
Ah, how well you phrase it. In that case, I might suggest that my demeanor is reminiscent, though perhaps not half as witty or insightful, as Lord Goring from Oscar Wilde's play, An Ideal Husband. Something of a materialistic dandy, suspicious of commitment as a result of past experience, and yet devoted to and willing to go through great lengths to advise and aid his friends.

Ms. Saya, my sincerest apologies for bungling your form of address. I shall not do so again. Furthermore, after reading your explanation for your affinity with Elphaba, I feel rather impertinent for making such suggestions as I did and respectfully apologize and withdraw them.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Sendo

Cimorene from the Dealing with Dragons series that I read when I was eleven. I've always wanted to live with dragons, and she's about as stubborn as I am.
Sendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendo View Post
Cimorene from the Dealing with Dragons series that I read when I was eleven. I've always wanted to live with dragons, and she's about as stubborn as I am.
Wow, I used to love those books! Forgot all about them, what a blast from the past. I never owned them (except maybe one that was short stories?) but I read one at the school library, and the librarian there really liked me so she ordered the rest in for me.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
Malice In Wonderland

Cthulhu.
Your sanity has flavour.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #20
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Cthulhu.
Your sanity has flavour.
Lies, you were certain dinosaur from Jurassic Park.

You killed Newman!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
Most likely one of The Endless.
I'd go with Delirium.

I'd also like Lady Una from Stardust (Gaiman) or Liadan from The Sevenwaters series (Marillier).
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
Saya

You know whats depressing? When I was a teenager I'd answer this question with "Melinda from Speak", which was and probably still is my favourite modern teen novel (haven't read it in forever though), and I just found out the other day that there was actually a Speak movie, though it was an indy film. But it was the chick who played Bella in Twilight who plays Melinda >.> Not sure if I want to see it.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #23
HellforgedX

The Marquis de Carabas from Neverwhere.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #24
WarlockSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlockSix View Post

My sensibilities rest with Lord Henry Wotton (The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde), and Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen).
Well, Havelock V, I chose Mr. Darcy because he's often rude and considered so by those he meets, however is loved for his inner qualities by his closest friends. Lord Henry, on the other hand, suits me as he is a reckless and corrupting hedonist, though I will admit I have not corrupted that many people.
WarlockSix is offline   Reply With Quote