Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Solumina

Halloween food

As you may or may not know I absolutely love to go overboard for Halloween, I also love to go overboard when hosting parties. This year I want to try and have a little more of a sophisticated spread for my Halloween party, in the past I've usually gone with creepy food (and I've gotten really good at it) but this year I'm not going with a super gory theme, I'm trying to have kind of a gothic theme, decorating the living room like a dieing forest and the den (once I make it into a den) as an abandoned manor within that forest.

In addition to having a more sophisticated theme I'm also trying to have more savory food but I'm having a difficult time finding stuff that fits the bill, I'm also trying to keep the color pallet to black, white, and green (including the food) because I will have a lot of stuff going on and it will just look more pulled together without too many colors.

I'm good for drinks and desserts but any savory suggestions you guys have I would really appreciate.

I'd also be more than happy to offer recipes to anyone who does want to make spooky looking food or wants ideas for desserts and drinks.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Valhalla

I have no suggestions, but I'm interested in reading more about this, and seeing pictures of your house once you're done decorating.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Acharis

Awesome. Sounds really sophisticated, a change from OTT stuff that's usually around this time of year.
I'm not sure, nothing jumps out at me for savoury Halloween food.. I'll keep an eye out.

(Anyone who is into gory cheese might like to Google 'glowing punch' - tonic water is UV reactive and looks great with a jello 'hand' floating in it. Also 'alien brain haemorrhage' for a gross themed shot.)
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Acharis

Oh yeah. Chilled cucumber soup is classy and green, but depending where you live that might be more suited to my current climate than yours.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Solumina

That is a good idea, it may not completely fit the weather but I may do it anyway.

I am kind of going to miss alien brain hemorages, they look disgusting but they really are delicious, I love watching people's faces when they try one for the first time.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Saya

Black bean soup? Maybe a quinoa salad with black beans? Penne pasta with a olive oil dressing in a green salad? Alfredo with broccoli or spinach?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
honeythorn

You can get black pasta dyed with squid ink! I had some a while ago
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Solumina

I think one of the issues that I'm having is that I'm not doing a sit-down meal, I need stuff that I can set out on the table and just leave it, don't want the food to be too fussy or hard to eat, after all I still want it to be a fun, casual party.

I don't know. I just know that I'll know what I want when I see it, I get really picky when I'm party planning.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Saya

Black nacho chips with guac?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
Acharis

Spinach and ricotta filo triangles are amazing. They're whitish and green, pre-made from the freezer section, and you can just bake them and set them out.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Saya

Oh that reminds me, spring rolls!