Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #26
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Angel_Of_Darkness~
I'm not even religious and my family all thinks its the music and whatever else that's been causing me to wear black and denounce religion. Whatever. Anyway:

Off topic: but its interesting to know that I'm not the only half-african on here who isn't white as chalk (although I'd like to be.) AND not the only person who thinks you can listen to whatever you want (e.g. non-gothic rock) and still be 'goth'.

Why do you want to be "white as chalk"? That's a shame.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
(I don't think that someone MUST listen to gothic music to be goth, but I'm not getting into that)
Let's do, because it's so stupid to say you don't have to agree with Mohammed to be a Muslim

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #28
Cicero

The first people referred to as goths in its current incarnation were fans of Andi Sexgang.

It's so fucking simple and yet so many people refuse to believe it.

A goth is a fan of gothic rock (yes, they can like other genres, too! Just as they can have skin of any colour, religious beliefs of any type, and intelligence of any level). They often partake in the affiliated fashions, most of which is modeled after what the original gothic rock artists wore on stage.

Anyone who disagrees is just trying to twist the 'definition' to suit themselves, and I truly feel sorry for anyone so desperate to hang onto such a ridiculous label.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #29
Godslayer Jillian

Hey, Cicero, you must know. What was the other more tongue in cheek name that Andi called his fans? It was something like androgynous aliens or somthing like that. Maybe he just made it up for that interview.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #30
Cicero

I'm not sure I've heard of it. It might pop up in the Bastard Art Documentary though, which I'm currently halfway through watching (totally worth the $15 or so by the way. Andi is so much more awesome than I expected, and that says a lot).

Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #31
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
Why do you want to be "white as chalk"? That's a shame.
I think pale skin is gorgeous.
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
~Angel_Of_Darkness~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #32
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Let's do, because it's so stupid to say you don't have to agree with Mohammed to be a Muslim
I'm not stupid enough to get dragged into this, but I do have a question for you. Is it REALLY so bad for someone to like the style without listening to the music? Maybe they wear black because they like the colour. Maybe they are attracted to the style for their own reasons, but is that so bad? Not everyone who dresses "Goth" but don't listen to the music are mall rats you know. Not everyone is just trying to look cool. Once they start saying, "I'm so cool cos I'm goth, look at me, I look like Pete from FOB!!" that's where it starts to get ridiculous. But I'm sure there are people who are simply attracted to dark clothing/makeup for their own reasons, not because they listen to gothic rock. I don't call myself goth. People label me as goth when they know nothing about it.
This is simply my opinion: There are Goths who like the music and "Goths" (Notice my use of quotation marks) who are just into dark stuff, sans the gothic rock music.

Not arguing with you, but I'd really like an answer: Is that so bad?
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #33
Cicero

Why do you care so much about the term 'goth' applying to you?

No one is saying that it's 'bad' for someone not to like gothic rock. It just means they're not a goth. And NOT BEING GOTH IS NOT A BAD THING. It doesn't make you uncool, it doesn't make you boring, it just means you don't associate with that particular music scene. You have the right to listen to whatever the fuck you want and wear whatever the fuck you want, just don't go clinging to labels because they really aren't that important.

These 'goths' into 'dark stuff' are just 'people' into 'dark stuff'. There's no need whatsoever to go calling them goths.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #34
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
People should just go all the way. After bleaching themselves, they should cut their noses off, tear their eyes out, and shred their skin.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #35
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

No one is saying that it's 'bad' for someone not to like gothic rock. It just means they're not a goth. And NOT BEING GOTH IS NOT A BAD THING. It doesn't make you uncool, it doesn't make you boring, it just means you don't associate with that particular music scene. You have the right to listen to whatever the fuck you want and wear whatever the fuck you want, just don't go clinging to labels because they really aren't that important.

These 'goths' into 'dark stuff' are just 'people' into 'dark stuff'. There's no need whatsoever to go calling them goths.
I never said it applies to me. I never said either that I care. And I really would like to see the proof that I am clinging to labels.

Yes they are certainly just people into dark stuff. That's what I meant. I was referring to the fact that people who don't know shit call them goth.

And maybe 'no one is saying its bad not to like gothic rock' but whenever someone says they listen to something that's not gothic rock that someone else doesn't like, they start going "Oh god, your music tastes SUCK. What the fuck are you doing on this website?' I mean, jeez, to each his own. Leave them alone if you don't like them. Don't start raging at them.

Now will you people please just drop it? I have had to endure utter manure like this ever since I joined. God only knows why the fuck I keep coming back.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #36
Solumina

The fact that you are still trying to be accepted by the members of these boards is proof enough that you cling to the idea of being goth.

As for music, I have time and time again said that my favorite band is Queen, nobody has ever given me a hard time for it and I doubt that there is a single person in the world who could mistakenly label Queen as goth. Maybe you just have shitty taste in music and that is why you have experienced a bit of criticism.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #37
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
I never said it applies to me.
So it's not even you but you want to define us?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #38
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
The first people referred to as goths in its current incarnation were fans of Andi Sexgang.

It's so fucking simple and yet so many people refuse to believe it.

A goth is a fan of gothic rock (yes, they can like other genres, too! Just as they can have skin of any colour, religious beliefs of any type, and intelligence of any level). They often partake in the affiliated fashions, most of which is modeled after what the original gothic rock artists wore on stage.

Anyone who disagrees is just trying to twist the 'definition' to suit themselves, and I truly feel sorry for anyone so desperate to hang onto such a ridiculous label.
Good thing punk's not like that...

... DAMN IT!

It's an obnoxious thing, cult conformity. Sometimes I catch myself thinking, "Would _____[insert name of punk i look up to] approve?" Then i realize they'd probably throttle me for taking their opinions into consideration and I do it anyway.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #39
Necrophagist

Haha are there actually any goths who worship the devil?

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:23 AM   #40
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Haha are there actually any goths who worship the devil?
Are there any ants missing legs?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #41
Necrophagist

So there are devil goths?

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:36 AM   #42
Albert Mond

Most likely.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #43
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

Yes.
This is true.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #44
Altemese

Smile

Quote:
i know this may be off subject but:

there is nothing wrong with "dark skin". you should feel good in your own skin. love u 4 u. everyone is gorgeous no matter what there skin color is. they could be white as snow, black as cole, green, blue, yellow, purple, or what ever. we r all beautiful. even though i don't know what u look like , u r beautiful 2.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #45
Mealla

Religion and gothic inclinations aren't mutually exclusive. One can be of any faith or have a complete lack of faith and still be goth. Western culture in general does tend to equate wearing black with satanism, devil worship, witchcraft, sacrifice, so of course they tend to assume the worst when someone wears all or mostly black.

In my personal experience, however, I haven't had much negative reaction. I've gotten some weird looks, in October or early November I've had people comment on me dressing early or late for Halloween when I'm wearing my normal clothes, I've had friends of friends say I needed a tan, and I've had people at work ask if I liked metal or if I was in a band, but that's about the worst of it since I've finished high school and college.

By contrast, one of my friends has people at work thinking he's a devil-worshiper, but while he's out and about he has young, teenage girls staring, giggling at, or stalking him (likely due to the whole teen girl Twilight/vampire obsession going on right now). The latter actually tends to annoy him more than the former.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #46
Vivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Why do you care so much about the term 'goth' applying to you?.
%100 of people who do are depressed teenagers who dont know who they are, thats why. They need some form of identification to cling onto rather than just showing people who they really are as a person.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #47
Tam Li Hua

Vivi: Very few teens know who they are as a person, though; it takes time to figure that out, and claiming a particular lifestyle such as goth, emo, scene, etc. is part of that growing process.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #48
vja110570

Not really. Having been Wiccan for a while, I know I'm not really helping to ease the stereotype, but I've got friends who are Catholic, one who is... Shintoist? Wrong word maybe? There're a few who are atheistic, one who's Satanist, and two other Wiccans. We're all over the place. The world can't escape us.
vja110570 is offline   Reply With Quote