Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #4426
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Comment redacted.
That's better.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #4427
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
Also, you didn't address what I said about not needing a piece of paper to love somebody.
You don't need a piece of paper to love someone.
You need a piece of paper to obtain benefits, for each other and sometimes children.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #4428
Fruitbat

Saya if you walk down to the registry office in your best clothes to get married I think its under a hundred dollars. it's the rest of the wedding crap that costs the money.

I think it sucks that you need a piece of paper for benefits.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #4429
gothicusmaximus

Federal tax benefits for married couples are social engineering, plain and simple. Private enterprises really should be permitted to discriminate either, but the practices of such enterprises are less brazenly unconstitutional.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #4430
Fruitbat

For the record, I'm more pissed off with avascular necrosis, post urethral valves, antibiotic resistant infections and hip replacements, than I am with Mr Bat.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #4431
Solumina

Quote:
Yes, some people can have cheap weddings. Still...it's THOUSANDS of dollars for a "cheap" wedding. That's just too much for a party.
You and I have different parties, the family events that we have a few times a year usually cost about $4000 in the end, it just tends to come from various people instead of one. It isn't that we have expensive taste (well I kind of do but most of them don't) there are just a lot of us, just think of your average party and figure the same amount of food and drinks for 50-75 people, more for holidays. The most expensive party I have personally thrown was about $1500 and it had about 25 guests and I wasn't exactly making bank, I just don't see a problem with spending money to have a great time as long as I don't have to make a huge sacrifice to do it.

The amount spent per guest at most of my mother's parties is pretty much in line with the wedding celebration, the big difference is the guest count, I don't think that most other people are all that different.

Quote:
Also, you didn't address what I said about not needing a piece of paper to love somebody.
I wasn't responding because of how stupid of an argument that is. Even the people who think that a wedding is all about love don't think that you need a piece of paper to love someone. That is unless you mean physically love someone because in some places it isn't legal to have sex with someone who isn't your spouse, then again most people don't pay any attention to those laws.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #4432
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
You and I have different parties, the family events that we have a few times a year usually cost about $4000 in the end, it just tends to come from various people instead of one. It isn't that we have expensive taste (well I kind of do but most of them don't) there are just a lot of us, just think of your average party and figure the same amount of food and drinks for 50-75 people, more for holidays. The most expensive party I have personally thrown was about $1500 and it had about 25 guests and I wasn't exactly making bank, I just don't see a problem with spending money to have a great time as long as I don't have to make a huge sacrifice to do it.

The amount spent per guest at most of my mother's parties is pretty much in line with the wedding celebration, the big difference is the guest count, I don't think that most other people are all that different.
Yeah but thats not exactly normal, I don't think she's referring to YOU particularly, but HER and most young people can't afford to spend thousands on parties. I don't think I've been to a party that wasn't BYOB and pitch in for food, except to the weddings I've been to which were very small by most standards, and I'd be hard pressed to find someone else in my age group who other than getting married blew that much money on parties, save for the folks with rich parents.

Quote:
I wasn't responding because of how stupid of an argument that is. Even the people who think that a wedding is all about love don't think that you need a piece of paper to love someone. That is unless you mean physically love someone because in some places it isn't legal to have sex with someone who isn't your spouse, then again most people don't pay any attention to those laws.
So is the meaning of marriage tax exemption and health benefits? This is why I don't get the whole "marriage is between a man and a woman." thing. Its not at all sacred, its just denying gay people the right to leave all their shit to their lovers apparently.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #4433
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Yeah but thats not exactly normal, I don't think she's referring to YOU particularly, but HER and most young people can't afford to spend thousands on parties. I don't think I've been to a party that wasn't BYOB and pitch in for food, except to the weddings I've been to which were very small by most standards, and I'd be hard pressed to find someone else in my age group who other than getting married blew that much money on parties, save for the folks with rich parents.
Oh don't get me wrong, many people blow weddings way out of proportion and/or use it to show off wealth and status, not to mention attention whoring but that isn't the fault of marriage itself, that is people being d-bags. There are also people on the other side of the spectrum that have very inexpensive weddings. I've been to a potluck reception, nobody complained or took issue with it as far as I know, and everyone seemed to have a great time, the only thing with simpler weddings is that people give less when it comes to gifts if they have donated time and/or are expected to bring food. Quite literally the only things that were purchased by the bride and groom were their marriage license and their rings. Most of the people who spend large amounts of money on a wedding are people who would spend the money anyway on something or another, the wedding is just an excuse to spend it all on one event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
So is the meaning of marriage tax exemption and health benefits? This is why I don't get the whole "marriage is between a man and a woman." thing. Its not at all sacred, its just denying gay people the right to leave all their shit to their lovers apparently.
Yes and no the meaning of the piece of paper is tax exemptions and such. Personally I'm a planner, I like to have a plan for next week, next month, and next decade and I wont make someone an integral part of a plan if I don't know for sure that (barring catastrophic events) they will be there. The real thing for me about marriage is that it is a commitment that you will do everything that you can to work through any problem. It is an agreement not to take the easy way out and just walk away, no matter what happens. As far as I am concerned the piece of paper doesn't mean any more than taxes and benefits, the wedding itself means that Jacob will still be by my side 10 years from now, pretty much no matter what life throws at us. The big expensive celebration means that all of our friends any family will be able to wish us a happy life together and share in our joy because I really do believe that true happiness is made when joy is shared.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #4434
Underwater Ophelia

I get that married couples get tax benefits reserved just for them.

The answer obviously isn't to just say "oh well, I guess I'll just go with it and get married," the answer is to change the laws saying that only married couples get those benefits.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #4435
honeythorn

Ahahahahahahi'm drunk and so on. rooms's gong round andround and the fish is asleep and I'm tired. i love you g.net you freaky bastards with your knicknacks ina twist over religions you don't believe in and fidgety things of that nature. Just SHHHHHHHHH and haveDRINK. It's good. Bye.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #4436
Fruitbat

Quote:
I get that married couples get tax benefits reserved just for them.

The answer obviously isn't to just say "oh well, I guess I'll just go with it and get married," the answer is to change the laws saying that only married couples get those benefits.
I agree with you.

Discrimination of any sort should not be tolerated.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:16 AM   #4437
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Discrimination of any sort should not be tolerated.
Well. Let's not go nuts.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #4438
Fruitbat

Quote:
Well. Let's not go nuts.
Your right. Ducks and bats should not be able to get it on if they want.

And I need to be tamed - trying to marry my car was a ridiculous idea in the first place.

And I guess there is positive discrimination.

And I do like to check sexual harrassment for quality and I will give ratings, bonus points for effort and originality.

*hangs head in shame - yes I've had caffiene and I feel really terrible. I wish I would have a technicoloured yawn just so I could feel better. *

What really sucks is changing number 2 nappies and swallowing back vomit... TMI - sorry.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #4439
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Your right. Ducks and bats should not be able to get it on if they want.

And I need to be tamed - trying to marry my car was a ridiculous idea in the first place.

And I guess there is positive discrimination.

And I do like to check sexual harrassment for quality and I will give ratings, bonus points for effort and originality.

*hangs head in shame - yes I've had caffiene and I feel really terrible. I wish I would have a technicoloured yawn just so I could feel better. *

What really sucks is changing number 2 nappies and swallowing back vomit... TMI - sorry.
You're dumb.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #4440
Fruitbat

Quote:
You're dumb.
..no I'm not dumb, I'm flippant.. there's a difference.

and you think there should be discrimination?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #4441
vindicatedxjin

Ya'll are both dumb.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #4442
PortraitOfSanity

Try not to use the word "ya'll" while you're calling someone dumb.

Just a helpful hint.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #4443
vindicatedxjin

Hey! No need to make fun of my horrible Texan words. Even though I hate them myself.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 09-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #4444
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
..no I'm not dumb, I'm flippant.. there's a difference.

and you think there should be discrimination?
Christ, it doesn't even matter.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #4445
gothicusmaximus

Mad Men is too good. It's infuriatingly good. ITS QUALITY IS... MADDENING.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #4446
vindicatedxjin

Mad men...doesn't ring a bell...

Bring Kontan Back
Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #4447
Solumina

Sooooo I now have less than three weeks to find a DJ, I am not happy about this, not at all. I mean if it was my fault I wouldn't be thrilled either but this isn't my fault, we had a DJ lined up, but he had a scheduling error or some crap like that and can't do it. I hate when other people's mistakes fuck with my planning.

At least I have someone who has been highly recommended and he said that he (or at least one of his DJs) will be available but he is out of town and so we can't start working out a contract until Friday.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #4448
Fruitbat

Solumina - *hug*

Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 AM   #4449
The Divine Ms. M

Two days of record breaking heat has got me a little steamed...it's damn near October for chrissakes-enough!

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #4450
vindicatedxjin

sol, too bad you don't live here in TX...we have DJ's left and right...even under your bed.

Bring Kontan Back