Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #26
Corpus_Macabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Are you saying that whoever stole Hot Topic's "art" is your hero or am I just really fucking confused?
I am saying I didn't read the article and was having a rant in regards to Hot Topic. I jumped to the conclusion (according to the poorly constructed title) that someone stole their art. The story is turning out better and better though as it is Hot Topic that is the greater evil (still).

And to stop yourself from "fucking confused" put the harder phallic object into the softer more pleasurable area. That is how it is usually done. But if you were, however, exaggerating your confusion to my post then I apologise for your language.
Corpus_Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #27
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus_Macabre
And to stop yourself from "fucking confused" put the harder phallic object into the softer more pleasurable area. That is how it is usually done. But if you were, however, exaggerating your confusion to my post then I apologise for your language.
Watch the condescending attitude. It's entirely uncalled for, also if I want to use the word fuck I'll use the word fuck. It's a public forum and you have no reason or right to apologize for MY language.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #28
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus_Macabre
I am saying I didn't read the article and was having a rant in regards to Hot Topic. I jumped to the conclusion (according to the poorly constructed title) that someone stole their art. The story is turning out better and better though as it is Hot Topic that is the greater evil (still).

Seriously? You admit you don't even read a post before commenting on it and then lash out at Lauren because she was rightfully confused as to what the hell you were talking about?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #29
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Theft, stealing, and plagiarism have nothing to do with whether you are doing it for profit.

Stupid car analogy:

If I take your car and blow it up, I'm just as guilty of theft as if I stripped it for parts and sold it.

If I look at your car, make an exact duplicate of yours and drove away, I didn't deprive you of anything. Even if I do it over and over again and sell it to a bunch of people or just give 'em away like Doctor Tran, I am not impacting your ability to use your property.
Hey idiot, that's not what's being stolen.
What's being stolen is money.
THAT'S why plagiarism is stealing.

They are making money off of her idea, and she cannot.
Now shut the fuck up.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #30
Corpus_Macabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Seriously? You admit you don't even read a post before commenting on it and then lash out at Lauren because she was rightfully confused as to what the hell you were talking about?
Pretty much.
Corpus_Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #31
Resurrectus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
This is like that Todd Goldman shit that happened when that douchey hack ripped off the Smorky cartoon over at SA.

(I can't believe that asshole still has a career. Products of David & Goliath tees are almost 100% plagiarized even to this day.)

Anyway, hopefully this is an isolated incident.
Oh my God!!! I didn't know that those Todd Goldman/David & Goliath artworks were ripoffs. I always thought they were clever and funny. I did a Google search, and it looks like he ripped off Happy Bunny and Lenore (that are also my favorites).

Here's a site that shows many of Todd Goldman's ripoffs:
  • miketyndall (dot) com/todd_goldman/
Resurrectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #32
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Hey idiot, that's not what's being stolen.
What's being stolen is money.
THAT'S why plagiarism is stealing.

They are making money off of her idea, and she cannot.
Now shut the fuck up.
You are wrong. It doesn't matter how many other people are just as wrong, you are still wrong. It doesn't make you a bad person.

One would think that a gratingly pedantic savant would be able to grasp the subtle difference between real property and intangible fantasy land non-physical constructs. You're seriously disappointing me.

In order to be considered theft or stealing, whatever the online dictionary of your choice has to say, something has to be physically taken depriving the rightful owner of use. This is why we have different laws for plagiarism, and for theft. If they were the same thing, they would be the same thing.

It is not fucking possible to steal potential imaginary money from someone! How would you even go about saying how much she lost? You can't, because it doesn't exist!

If Hot topic actually stole money from this girl, she could actually somehow point to a real number that was taken from her.

By the way, you are terrible at ad hominem.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #33
Underwater Ophelia

Sometimes words have broad meanings, dude.

This would be one of those cases.

Even if not, "stealing" is used colloquially to describe acts of plagiarism, and this, obviously, is just a conversion between buddies, not a legal one.
Who's pedantic now?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #34
Jonathan

It's cool, we can take turns.

It just bugs me to see people buy into the idea that copying something without permission = stealing it. Casual conversation usually has slightly different rules for language, granted, but when I read things that suggest that people really don't see the difference it makes me want to get a little evangelical.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #35
Moonlightballet

My friend filed a lawsuit against Hot Topic a couple of years ago for using a picture that she drew on a postcard.
Moonlightballet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #36
TheBloodEternity

Really? Any links to pics?

On the topic of ripping others off for profit (because everyone in my school who proclaims to be an artist is a fan of this woman):
http://i2.tinypic.com/vg4p6p.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/vg4pi0.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/vg4ox2.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/vg4md4.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/vg4md4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...own_froud3.jpg
Wait... doesn't Hot Topic sell Amy Brown shit as well?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #37
Underwater Ophelia

Are most of those pictures from D&D books?
Old 10-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #38
TheBloodEternity

I think most if not all of the originals are by Brian Froud.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #39
noveleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Wait... doesn't Hot Topic sell Amy Brown shit as well?
Yes, they do. So does Target and Wal-Mart from time to time.
noveleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #40
Saya

There was always something I didn't like about Amy Brown, but I couldn't quite place it. And I couldn't find any website that pointed out that she copies.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #41
TheBloodEternity

I always disliked her because she was way too popular for her talent, and while I always saw that her "art" was generic, ugly, and just for whoring out (Wal-mart???) a bunch of artsy girls saw her as some sort of artistic, creative goddess.
I like the tracing thing because now I have something definite that I can use to go shit all over their favorite artist. I plan on printing most of them out and putting them up in the art room.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #42
Saya

One of my friends got one of her fairies as a tattoo XD I should send her those pics.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #43
TheBloodEternity

Haha, along with 50,000 other people.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #44
Saya

She's not that popular here, its just that friend in particular, I think I complained about her and her crowd before, how they love Royo and Francis and Dali and thats it, and claim to be art experts, well I forgot Amy Brown ^_^ but its mostly that one person.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #45
TheBloodEternity

It's insane that you get to complain about people only knowing Royo and Francis and Dali when the people over here who claim to be art enthusiasts would stare blankly if you mentioned any of them. =(
But then again I'm not in college, either.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #46
noveleigh

Oh dear....though I suppose if she liked the design she wouldn't care too much. Is she a fan of Amy Brown as the "artist" or the design themselves?
noveleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #47
Saya

The only reason they know them is because of the poster fair we have here every year (its tomorrow!!! yay!!!) So they find a picture of a vampire lady, see Francis on it and say "I'm a Victoria Francis fan now! I love art!" Same with everyone else, I don't think they know a Dali painting other than the clocks and the elephants. And no one can name a Picasso painting because he's never at the fair!

There are poseurs EVERYWHERE XD

Quote:
Oh dear....though I suppose if she liked the design she wouldn't care too much. Is she a fan of Amy Brown as the "artist" or the design themselves?
As the artist, I'm pretty sure. She's very proud of herself for being able to quote a few artists' names.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #48
TheBloodEternity

Oh yeah, I remember you saying that now. Sounds pretty much like what it would be here if we had a poster fair.
I personally don't even like "Persistence of Memory" that much but it's the one I have to try and get people to recognize when trying to spark up conversations about art. Sometimes they don't even know that one.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #49
Saya

My favourite artist is Magritte, but no one knows him at all I can't even bring him up in art discussions, so I just say that Picasso is my favourite instead. At least they are aware of him, though they can't name anything.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #50
TheBloodEternity

Ceci n'est pas ... ^_^
He is my favorite next to Dali.