Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Murasaki eyeliner

you never know whats lurking in your parents cd collection....

ok a few days ago i was rummaging through my parents cd collection in search of one of my missing m.s.i cds (which later turned out to have been commandeerd by my sister)and to my utmost surprise ,sitting among the variouse recordings of folk music and micialniouse bands was a siouxie and the bansheee's.i hadnt had the chance to listen to any siouxe before and needless to say it was pretty mind blowing.

my question is; what other siouxe albums do you recommend and are there any slightly less well known bands out there with the same (for want of a better word) vibe?

the only other reason i had for posting this was that i generaly felt a bit gobsmacked at the likelyhood of this cd being present in the house.(the odds on it were the same as a heavy metal version of the lords prayer on the popes ipod) and i wondered if something like this has ever happend to anyone else?

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Paigeybobert

That's happened to me before. I was going through my dad's old albums and I found Siouxsie & The Banshees.
The best Siouxsie album would have to be Juju.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
KontanKarite

Wow, so you've finally decided to listen to goth rock? Amazing.

Just look around this music forum. It's CRAWLING in its SKIN with other bands who are just as good as S&B.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
DepthsofSpace

I held this hope that my mother was a old goth from the 80s, but all I found out was she knew of Siouxsie Sioux, but hated her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Wow, so you've finally decided to listen to goth rock? Amazing.

Just look around this music forum. It's CRAWLING in its SKIN with other bands who are just as good as S&B.
Given that her location is "the bell tower the bats left", I don't think that was appropriate or called for. Not that it would be deserved in any case, or-- Well, maybe some cases, but not this one.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Xombie

I went to a girl's house to cook food for a party in my French class, and we wanted some music to cook to, so I began browsing through her father's CD's. Happily, I found that every single CD was either a goth mix, an industrial mix, or Skinny Puppy. I plan on visiting her with blank CD's this summer.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki eyeliner
the only other reason i had for posting this was that i generaly felt a bit gobsmacked at the likelyhood of this cd being present in the house.(the odds on it were the same as a heavy metal version of the lords prayer on the popes ipod) and i wondered if something like this has ever happend to anyone else?
On the Siouxsie album 'Join Hands', there is a punk version of the Lord's Prayer actually that's rather interesting..

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace
I held this hope that my mother was a old goth from the 80s, but all I found out was she knew of Siouxsie Sioux, but hated her.

Given that her location is "the bell tower the bats left", I don't think that was appropriate or called for. Not that it would be deserved in any case, or-- Well, maybe some cases, but not this one.
I've forgotten how to be nice.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Man In Room 5

Quote:
my question is; what other siouxe albums do you recommend
I recommend all of Siouxsie's CDs but if you're a newbie to her then start with Once Upon A Time and Peepshow. Also try to find the Nocturne DVD.

Quote:
and are there any slightly less well known bands out there with the same (for want of a better word) vibe?
Just about every goth vocalist without a penis...and some who have a penis. She has to be the most copied female gothic vocalist ever. Some songs by All About Eve and Switchblade Symphony come instantly to mind. I'm sure you'll find others.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Cicero

X-mal Deutschland. German Siouxsie, and wonderful.

Anyway yes, considering many of our parents were 'young and cool' during the early days of goth and punk it comes as little surprise that many were into it. I first learned about gothic rock from my mother's cousin/best friend who was very much into punk and post-punk back in the day. She still manages to make me jealous with her stories of all the bands she saw in the early 80's, haha.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
weiwei

Thumbs down Each of us experience

Each of us experience wow gold setbacks in life, all wow power

leveling
of which provide wow power leveling us with valuable lessons about the human condition. It is not the setback

itself that influences your future, but rather how to react to the negative situation. You’ve heard the adage wow power leveling

many times about turning lemons into lemonade, right? Well, this sentiment is absolutely true and can tremendously wow

power leveling
improve your quality of life.weiwei1978123
weiwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #11
Minyaliel

I'm quite partial to "Kaleidoscope" myself. Anyway, for other bands I'd suggest The Shroud, Aztec Camera (not really gothic - they were New Wave) and second the suggestion on Xmal Deutschland. Oh, and personally I found out that Adam and the Ants were a really great band, so I recommend them to you as well.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:46 AM   #12
Murasaki eyeliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace
On the Siouxsie album 'Join Hands', there is a punk version of the Lord's Prayer actually that's rather interesting..

oooo,sounds good,im going to see if i can track it down.

big thanks to Minyaliel for the band surgestions, adam and the ants are amazing

ps nice avatar

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #13
TopHaggardDoll

Both my mum and dad love Siouxsie...she gave him one of her belts once.

My dad has better music taste than my mum though, my mum likes Meatloaf, Iron Maiden and AC/DC....an array of stuff like that.

My dad is into The Damned, Sex Pistols, Charged GBH, which in general, I find more pleasing to the ears.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #14
Minyaliel

Quote:

big thanks to Minyaliel for the band surgestions, adam and the ants are amazing

ps nice avatar
Hey, thanks =) I'm glad you liked the bands.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 06-15-2008, 06:05 AM   #15
Man In Room 5

Actually, if you're looking for some Siouxsie & The Banshees I just posted links to some downloads in the Album Dump Thread. Check it out. For that matter, check out the whole thread for lots of cool music from other members of Gnet.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showth...502#post399502
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Black&Blue

I raided my parents music collection recently. They have about 700 or 800 albums that are all on vinyl. Yeah, vinyl. I found a few Siouxie albums in there, and other stuff from the 80s too, like Romeo Void, Martha and the Muffins, Bush Tetras, and a great album by Lydia Lunch called 13.13. My parents didn't call that kinda music Goth back then or New Wave. They just said it was called "alternative." I've also heard my father call it Darkwave, but he listens to Tony Bennett these days, so.....anyway.....

The rest of the stuff in the collection is from the 60s and 70s. Bands I never heard of, but they're great, alot of progressive stuff, hard rock, medieval stuff. Hours of fun for me.
Black&Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #17
raggedyanne

My dad's a huge frank zappa and alice cooper fan, but my mom is pretty boring when it comes to music.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #18
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Eh the only one in my family who shares some of my music tastes is my youngest Uncle who is a Depeche mode fan, it is thanks to his wife that I learned the proper pronunciation.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #19
badteccy

My mom used to have a bitching vinyl collection. A Flock of Seagulls AND Gary Numan...she ditched them for Sheryl Crow cds...awful.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #20
Darcnyss

I was shocked to recently discover an audio cassette amongst my parents' old cassettes from several years ago. It's called DecaDance vol 3, and this track listing says it all!

1 The Mission WASTELAND
2 Killing Joke LOVE LIKE BLOOD
3 Bauhaus KICK IN THE EYE
4 Spear Of Destiny NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE
5 Siouxsie & The Banshees CITIES IN DUST
6 Cult BIG NEON GLITTER
7 Violent Femmes KISS OFF
8 New Model Army WHITE COATS (live)
9 Faith No More EPIC
10 NFOH GÖTTER DAMRUNG
11 L7 PRETEND WE'RE DEAD
12 Iggy Pop PUSSY POWER
13 Smashing Pumpkins I AM ONE
14 Terrorvision COMING UP

The scary part is that both my parents are nearing the age of 70. When I asked about the cassette, my dad told me that it was something he used to listen to in his car on the way to work in the early 90s.

Go figure...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #21
Minyaliel

Wow. That's really cool. I wish my mum was like that too - she used to be a stones fan in the sixties, but pretty much burned all their records when she became a christian. I grew up in a home filled with Bach and deutsche Schlager (oompa music, as I like to call it). Ugh.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"