Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #51
DarkHeartedDemoness

Have you read The Enchanter?
http://www.amazon.com/Enchanter-Vint.../dp/0679728864
I highly recommend it.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #52
Dead Cell

Good book... My teacher didn't like it but I did.
Dead Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #53
insertwittyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate_Torture
Oh, I know.. and I wasn't criticising your posts. I was referring to insertwittyname's posts that were so scathing of the author and yet they admit that they have never bothered reading the book.
Ummms...I just read the wikipedia entry. And it put him all in the limelight of being rapist. So my hatred kicked in and I think I'm going to just weazle out of this ok? Ba-bye! *sprint!*
Old 11-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #54
Minyaliel

My time as a babygoth? I had to look up my old blog on xanga.com/luthienundomiel for that one.

Quote:
Gosh. Suddenly I find myself listenening to Goth music. Sheesh... that's never happened before. But it isn't that bad... Manson, Totenbonden, Within Temptation... hey, why not? Think I'm gonna check out Autumn Leaves aswell...
By Autumn Leaves I must've meant Autumn Tears. Goth is still very underground here; at the time I started "going goth" you'd have to look hard to see a goth in the street. Oh, and I wore black 24/7 exclusively for a year before realising I could actually use other colours aswell...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #55
She_Is_My_Sin

I wore a helluva lot of make-up, applied badly. I wore lots of stripey tights, which looked rather bad on my tree trunk legs. Painted my nails in black alot (personally I think my nails look better pale). I dyed my hair blue & red alot too. I just tossed on anything that was black. I wanted to get all parts of me tattooed & pierced.

I always sought to look scary & freaky. I had a lot of angst too...

Very, very old post off of my old forum...by me (I was only 13 at the time)

Quote:
wanna get my ears pierced 4 times. id like tats of An angel (like Cristina Scabbias) on my back, A gothic cross on my neck , a different cross on my lower back & a black rose on my wrist . But would that be too many I wonder?
*blush*
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #56
Geisel

When I was 14, I went through a 5 month phase of wearing dark blue jeans, black Star Wars shirts, and waaaaaaaay too much (poorly applied) black lipstick. That ended when I got over my fear of skirts, started sewing some of my own clothes, and learned the basics of make-up application.

In terms of music, I didn't do anything too cringe-worthy. I was (and still am) a rabid fan of Rasputina and Voltaire (as well as Simon & Garfunkel and Blind Guardian).

Although I did have a brief Manson phase. Thankfully, a friend nipped that in the bud by giving me a copy of Floodland. I'm forever in her debt.
Geisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #57
Neurosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geisel
Although I did have a brief Manson phase. Thankfully, a friend nipped that in the bud by giving me a copy of Floodland. I'm forever in her debt.
Thank goodness for your friend! I love Floodland.

--Natalia
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #58
insertwittyname

Ok, never heard of that. What is Floodland? And what websites can I go to to sample the music?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #59
Rizash

Floodland is an album by Sisters of Mercy! old school true goth music. *WARNING* Most of it was recorded on master VINYL so audio quality is not up to master CD quality standards, oh well, I like it... it adds character
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #60
Geisel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizash
Most of it was recorded on master VINYL so audio quality is not up to master CD quality standards...
All things considered, though, the quality of the re-issued CD really isn't bad. There's no hisses or crackles or anything.

Anyway, you might want to check it out, insertwittyname. It's excellent.
Geisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #61
Tumor

Only one thing needs me mentioned... Not only was I niave. I was glam.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #62
BlackButterfly

Ookies... Tumor--Glam?!? I want a picture of that!

I was SO torn in the beginning... I was deeply in love with the subculture... all from a slowly decreasing distance.

I wore a lot of black and other low-key colors anyway, but mostly because I was the new kid a lot and used it as a kind of camouflage to blend into the woodwork and scope out my surroundings (people really DON'T notice you if you do it right...).

I made friends, mostly older, who were really into the subculture (art, music, literature), and their music and individuality captured me. The whole thing was, I thought somehow that I "wasn't allowed to be" goth becaue I didn't have the pale white skin.

So I listened to the music, read the books, and picked up the style of dress and designed my own clothes with more and more of the "goth" style to it, but I never called myself "goth". The first time I actually realized that was when someone else told me "I've never seen a black goth before..."

I still don't think myself fully "goth" (I don't know... something's missing), but from what I've seen... most goths don't!
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #63
insertwittyname

I thought people of naturally pale skin without freckles *sadly i have freckles up the nose, literally* and black people got the easiest of it. You look good in dark make-up and can easily use foundation to get the "perfect goth" even skin tone. I somehow oriented goth with perfect skin, black eyeliner, and dark clothing. Oh, and died hair.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #64
Alaizabel Cray

I don't think I ever really had a "naive goth" phase. In fact, when I was younger, I was afraid of the teens I'd see walking down the street with freakishly long black mohawks, in their tight bondage pants and their boots, etc. Honestly, something about me as a child was just wrong, I was completely different than I am now, and there are about 9 years of my life that don't seem to fit with the rest but that's another story for another time. I started wearing black because honestly, I think it's a classic look, not because I was trying to copy anyone. I didn't get into anything considered "gothic" (other than black) for a while, and even then I was just going with what I liked. Even now it's really just whatever I like, which happens to coincide with some of the gothic styles. I wear what I wear and do what I do becuase I want to, not because of some lame reason. For instance, the EGL fashions I've gotten into lately aren't because the "G" stands for "Gothic", but because it was almost a statement in a way, although a statement I knew not many were going to get. As DHD said, it's like a way to be sexy but innocent at the same time. It seems like everyone I know around me thinks that "sexy" means "slutty", but it's not the same word, and that's sort of what the style says to me. I like to look attractive, but no way am I going to parade around in short shorts and a tube top to do that. With the bits of l0lita clothing I've adopted, I feel like I look attractive, but I'm still definately covered up, pretty much from head to toe. And now I can't remember where I was going to go after this, so I'll be back once I figure that out.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #65
Tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackButterfly
Ookies... Tumor--Glam?!? I want a picture of that!
Fortunately, I don't have any pics. But picture it, if you will... (There's a pic of me somewhere in the pictures topic.) My lips were metallic green, I wore green eyeshadows with black eyeliner, and foundation to mace the rest of my face pale. Never any particular hair style. I usually wore a silver shirt (I still have a couple, somewhere), tight black jeans, and 16-hole green Docs. (Not the flat green, which are rather common, but the kind that look like oxsblood, except greenish.)
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #66
Presto

yikes, that phase was a scary year or two. I think I have a Korn CD still buried deep in my closet...

I don't think I did too badly, actually, considering most of the "goths" at my school were more like Mansonites with drug problems. (aside: I don't hate MM. I think he's very intelligent, though I'm not too fond of his music.) I have some music in my collection that I now realize just isn't me: Slipknot, Coal Chamber, Kittie.

I got into Wicca for a little while, I think now mostly because I liked to scare my mostly Roman Catholic family with pentagrams. After some reflection I've come to realize that many Wiccan principles are in line with what I believe, but others aren't. I now consider myself agnostic, though heavily influenced by Wicca.

Oh, and those black t-shirts with the witty phrases...I LIVED in those.

I learned a lot though. I look awful in black lipstick. And yellowjackets might mistake a fishnet shirt for a honeycomb and crawl inside and sting you. (I took that as a sign that the fishnets just weren't for me.)
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #67
Rizash

Hehe, good to see girls that dont like to show too much skin!!! I like girls that dress more conservative. Not like girls dont know this, but guys have vivid imaginations... and its fun to get a chance to use it, as in not have everything blown away before even getting to know a girl. (somehow I'm making myself look bad by saying this, but whatever, I think guys would appreciate girls more if the norm was more conservative). That being said, I still appreciate girls who can dress jaw dropping

HOWEVER... I STILL think that any girl under 16 shouldnt be dressing "sexy" though, and I see it, and its like... ick! *shakes fist at social freakishness* I prefer girls my age/a year or two older, seing young girls dressed like they're desperate and mid/late 20s is creepy!
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 AM   #68
Mick Ignis

I had no idea what goth was until about 3-4 years ago. Before that, I wore black and listened to goth music but assumed that "Goths" were just a bunch of satanic folk.

There were never any goth kids when I was in school, I grew up in a dull area.
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #69
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto
Oh, and those black t-shirts with the witty phrases...I LIVED in those.
Oh my goth... I had almost completely supressed that memory.

"One by one the penguins steal my sanity"

"Your village is missing its idiot"

"Can't sleep, clowns will eat me"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same"

Gods... There were more, right?
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #70
Tumor

The only one I remember was, "Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?"

That one was great.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #71
DarkHeartedDemoness

What was the flying monkeys one?
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #72
She_Is_My_Sin

Oh I had one t-shirt like that, it was black & a little too small for me. But it read:

'Barbie is a slut...love Cindy'

I wore it just the one time, but during that day I took a trip to my nan's house...she wasn't a big fan of it.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #73
insertwittyname

Too bad, she could live with it. Kill the Barbies. *hiss* If a girl had a body like that, she'd fall on her face from the size of those boobs.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #74
Presto

haha, my favorite shirts were "Don't Annoy the Crazy Person", and "I'm Not Part of the Problem, I AM the Problem." sorry to un-supress the memory, DarkHeartedDemoness!
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #75
BlackButterfly

Ahhh... yes... the t-shirts!

"Sarcasm - It beats killing people..."

"Warning - Prolonged Exposure May Cause Temporary or Permanent Loss of Sanity"
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote