Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
AshleyO

People who aren't American.

Is this something you have to contend with in your politics?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Stop focusing on extremists Ashley, or you'll become an anti-extremist extremist.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
AshleyO

I already am.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Grausamkeit

Wow....sadly I'm pretty sure some of the people in my family are just like those idiots.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Miss Absynthe

Unfortunately there are people like that all over the world - I do think that the expression of this sort of thing publicly has become more pronounced because of the feeling of anonymity that computers give people.

I had my neighbour paint the words 'DYKE WHORE' on my front door once and I was living in the middle of suburbia - when the police came she came over and confessed to doing it and said that she should be allowed to warn people about 'what had moved in to the house'. Being referred to as a 'what' and not a who was the most hurtful part of that encounter.

A couple of years after that my flatmate and his friend beat my boyfriend and I pretty badly and then poured petrol over me and told me that they were going to set me on fire because the Bible says that they should burn witches... once again, while living in the middle of suburbia.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Unfortunately there are people like that all over the world - I do think that the expression of this sort of thing publicly has become more pronounced because of the feeling of anonymity that computers give people.

I had my neighbour paint the words 'DYKE WHORE' on my front door once and I was living in the middle of suburbia - when the police came she came over and confessed to doing it and said that she should be allowed to warn people about 'what had moved in to the house'. Being referred to as a 'what' and not a who was the most hurtful part of that encounter.

A couple of years after that my flatmate and his friend beat my boyfriend and I pretty badly and then poured petrol over me and told me that they were going to set me on fire because the Bible says that they should burn witches... once again, while living in the middle of suburbia.
Dude....I hope those assholes aren't walking the streets. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Dude....I hope those assholes aren't walking the streets. What the fuck is wrong with people?

I don't know Wolfie, the world is a very intolerant place, and society is regressing a few centuries back too, by such examples of stupidity and cruelty. *sighs*
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
I know. Seeing shit like this just makes me sad. And then seeing people like this talk about how 'evil' Muslim people makes me feel ill.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Miss Absynthe

*are - there should be an 'are' in that sentence.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
I know. Seeing shit like this just makes me sad. And then seeing people like this talk about how 'evil' Muslim people makes me feel ill.
Yeah, it's pretty damn stupid. The sad thing is it's not unheard of behavior and beliefs when it should be. EVERYONE should be shocked that people would want to murder or harm someone just because they believe differently or live differently from them.

Reminds me of all of the idiot homophobia I grew up with in the 80s. Don't touch gay people teh AIDS might rub off on you!

Stupid shit...

Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
CuckooTuli

In my experience, reactions like those posted tend to come from more marginal extremist groups, like the English Defence League. However, must note that these groups have a overwhelming tendency to discuss Christianity more as a part of 'white' identity than in & of itself.

In my personal experience, I don't think I've ever seen that level of vitriol purely about religion. When it comes to extremists over here, religion is usually little more than a flunky for racism - if you gave them a choice between kicking the darkies off the island and bringing everyone in the country into the light of the Lord, they'd take the boot up the arse and ask for spurs. It's not really about religion for most of them; embracing Christianity is just another expression of cultral superiority.

Of course vile shit is in no short supply among these guys, but casual racism is more likely than religion itself to be the issue. Christians who made the above comments about atheists would pretty much be classed as nut-jobs in my neck of the woods (south-east).

While the UK is certainly no fucking paragon, the relative secularity of my country is something I'm very grateful for, especially when I read shit like this. We do have our religious nutters, but they're a pretty marginal presence, and certainly don't pose the political threat that they do in the States.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Versus

I want to say that it's not specific to the U.S. I mean people are people, regardless of where you go. But I haven't really been anywhere else, so I'll defer to a symbol of American solidarity.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
JCC

You're probably more likely to be criticised for your Christianity than your atheism in 21st century Britain. That's why self-righteous atheists from Britain sort of get on my nerves a bit, it's like they're taking an essentially American problem i.e. the struggle of trying to assert secularism, and applying it to themselves. I don't think many people are in danger of being judged negatively for being an atheist in this country.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Saya

This is generally my experience in Canada, although its fine-ish to be religious (recently a classmate in Feminist Theory came out as Anglican and thought we would judge her), there is definitely a line that if you cross, you're too religious and weird. I think they're a little more stereotypically evangelical in the prairie provinces, but it is definitely considered bad taste to bring religion into politics.

Which is odd, considering we don't have clearly defined separation of Church And State. And some of the more secular countries in the world have state churches. I really need to take more courses concerning American religions, I can't really offer an explanation as to why it doesn't really work there.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Despanan

Welcome to America people.

This is why I'm so serious about atheism and anti-theism, these attitudes are not "fringe" attitudes, huge portions of the population believe that because I don't believe in god I am somehow defective and worthy of having my rights stripped from me, and in some cases murdered.

Some of these people are serious presidential candidates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #16
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
You're probably more likely to be criticised for your Christianity than your atheism in 21st century Britain. That's why self-righteous atheists from Britain sort of get on my nerves a bit, it's like they're taking an essentially American problem i.e. the struggle of trying to assert secularism, and applying it to themselves.
Yeah, have to garee with this. It's annoying when people over here get all belligerant, then use the "religion is not harmless" defence to justify being a dick about it when they're not really being affected.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #17
Despanan

Well, to be fair, even though your society is more secular that the states important medical advances that could save lives over there, are still blocked and stymied by the religious right over here.

Plus our former president kinda DID pull you guys into a war with no exit strategy, partly because he figured that the war was something God wanted and thus everything would work out.

Then there's the whole "terrorism" thing. I still can't take water on planes because of what some faith-based dickwads tried to pull over in England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
CuckooTuli

All true. I guess I'm thinking of the armchair aggressors who don't demonstrate, fundraise, or do anything productive to try and combat what they see as pressing sociopolitical problems, but will give the Christian Union shit on campus when they're collecting for the Red Cross or giving out free sammiches. Or will start aggressively laying into anybody who goes to church or believes in a god like it makes them Sarah Palin.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
Especially ching chong chinks
Who are you and why are you here?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #20
Kasdeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Who are you and why are you here?
Troll, Renatus... troll. He's been popping up in a lot of threads lately, mainly the music section.

Props to Spooky Spencer for the 'shopped avatar!
If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
AshleyO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L062I...ature=youtu.be

Is totally relevant.

Guys, I understand that most of the other countries are sane and you have small pockets of insane... but yeah. This stuff.

How many personal events need to go down before we acknowledge that there is a problem and that anger is actually warranted?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #22
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L062I...ature=youtu.be

Is totally relevant.

Guys, I understand that most of the other countries are sane and you have small pockets of insane... but yeah. This stuff.

How many personal events need to go down before we acknowledge that there is a problem and that anger is actually warranted?
Oh there's anger.

There's anger from a lot of Christians who, despite the fact that they still hold the reins of power and still are able to do this shit and get away with it, are angry and bitchy because they think they're a repressed minority.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #23
CuckooTuli

I can't view the video... someone summarise?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #24
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
I can't view the video... someone summarise?
A bunch of atheists got kicked out of a pizza parler for being atheists. They were not allowed to finish their pizza or take it with them but they were still forced to pay. When they confronted the manager he herped and derped and told them to get the fuck out before he called the cops.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #25
CuckooTuli

Huh?! Where the fuck did this happen?