Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
This_Isnt_Me

More goth than thou! Just kidding :P. Does anyone in London use this site?

Hello all, thanks for stopping by.

I'm an Australian girl heading to Slimelight in London in a couple of weeks, hoping to make a couple of friends here first

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I'm attempting to learn German, as I find it pretty sexy and awesome.
I work in I.T.

2. Where are you from?
Oz.

3. Who is your favorite author?
It changes a bit, but currently.. Ayn Rand.

4. What are your favorite films?
Cruel Intentions,The Matrix,Chasing Amy,High Fidelity

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Who said anything about marriage? We've only just met! :O

6. At your funeral?
Into My Arms - Nick Cave.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Overindulgence or in some sort of pleasure :P

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Something dark with interesting patterns engraved.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
PVC.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Quite a lot of things. Lack of responsibility, being less cyinical..

11. What's your favorite band?
Rammstein or The Sisters of Mercy

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
Bachelor of Communications in Information Technology/Internet/Web Design

13. Why did you join?
To see who is lurking about!

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
La Femme Nikita.
This_Isnt_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by this_isnt_me View Post
3. Who is your favorite author?
It changes a bit, but currently.. Ayn rand.
SHAME!! asd
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
This_Isnt_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
SHAME!! asd
Why is that?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by This_Isnt_Me View Post
Why is that?
Whoo boy! You have just opened a can of worms with that question!

You might want to search "other posts by Alan" (right click on his name) or better still use the advanced search and search for posts by username Alan, containing the word "Ayn".

And put on your armor. Be ready to justify why you like her writing.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Murder.Of.Crows

Oh shit, just got back from "Nietzsche: a flawed partner..." even there i could feel the radiating heat from Alan's dislike for Ayn.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Blackspike

I am from london but i havent met anyone else on here... yet lol x
Blackspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
Whoo boy! You have just opened a can of worms with that question!

You might want to search "other posts by Alan" (right click on his name) or better still use the advanced search and search for posts by username Alan, containing the word "Ayn".

And put on your armor. Be ready to justify why you like her writing.
I honestly haven't read anything by her specifically because of the seething hatred you can feel from the computer screen when Alan talks about her.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
This_Isnt_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspike View Post
I am from london but i havent met anyone else on here... yet lol x
Heh, well I'm glad I'm not the only one! :P
Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Blackspike

lool :P is there actually anyone on this site, apart from me, that comes from london ????
Blackspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
This_Isnt_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspike View Post
lool :P is there actually anyone on this site, apart from me, that comes from london ????
Alas, I don't think so.

Have you been to Slimelight before?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
Alan

Ayn Rand is a horrible writer. I don't even call her a philosopher.
She was so stupid she made her cult followers all smoke, because it was a "victory of man over fire" and said (not though, SAID) that the idea that smoking causes cancer is just communist propaganda. Guess what she died of.
That's how out-of-touch with reality she was. Also, by her standards she should have died as a happy woman: she was rich, and had no one (you know, to hold her back and shit). So why was she always depressed in the end of her life if she just followed her own philosophy?
She died being a real Randian hero after all: I don't need anyone/ why won't anyone praise me?
real classy
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
Alan

Oh yeah, she also had inspiration for half of her philosophy from a serial killer:
http://www.alternet.org/books/145819...serial_killer_
http://www.michaelprescott.net/hickman.htm
real classy
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
This_Isnt_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Ayn Rand is a horrible writer. I don't even call her a philosopher.
She was so stupid she made her cult followers all smoke, because it was a "victory of man over fire" and said (not though, SAID) that the idea that smoking causes cancer is just communist propaganda. Guess what she died of.
That's how out-of-touch with reality she was. Also, by her standards she should have died as a happy woman: she was rich, and had no one (you know, to hold her back and shit). So why was she always depressed in the end of her life if she just followed her own philosophy?
She died being a real Randian hero after all: I don't need anyone/ why won't anyone praise me?
Alan,

I'm entitled to my opinion as are yours. I don't have an Ayn Rand tattoo, and only agree with a few of her principles. I can't see why it bothers you in such a way. Live and let live.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
This_Isnt_Me

One thing I will say is, she isn't the only person who has found inspiration in serial killers..

However, I don't really feel like a keyboard battle tonight, sorry. I don't really care what you throw,copy and paste at me. I like her books and a few words from you isn't going to change that. Why don't you put your energy to better use?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by This_Isnt_Me View Post
Alan,

I'm entitled to my opinion as are yours.
Hahaha, its like you know exactly what his pet peeves are.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
This_Isnt_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Hahaha, its like you know exactly what his pet peeves are.
Because of my typo?

Sorry.

*I am entitled to my opinion, as you are yours.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
Alan

I wouldn't have minded you - liking Ayn Rand is just a part of you - up to the point where you said you don't care and yet act passive-aggressive against me because you're clearly offended by what I have to say.

Fuck you, man. If you think I should put my energy on something better, isn't it a little hypocritical that you're on an internet forum? And how much time do you think I'm wasting? Destroying that bitch's philosophy takes a matter of minutes - if you need more time to think that's you, not the rest of us. You had a chance, and why the hell are you defending serial killers?

Addendum: No dude, if you really like Ayn Rand you should know "I'm not entitled to my opinion nor are you." There's only Rand's opinion or the wrong opinion.
real classy
Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #18
This_Isnt_Me

Am I just going to get vilified no matter what I post? No wonder there are so many digital tumbleweeds on this site..
Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #19
Alan

You weren't going to be vilified up to the point where you said you "don't care" anyway.
Why should you be entitled to your own opinion when you dismiss any which aren't yours? And that's from a tolerant point of view. From Rand's point of view you have no entitlement to an opinion, period.

Hell, the fact that I'm schooling you about facts of Ayn Rand tells me you only like her because you really don't understand her. Turn away man! There's still hope. Trust me. There's nothing she has said that Nietzsche or Karl Marx (yes, Karl Marx) didn't say and better.
real classy
Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
This_Isnt_Me

Alan, do you just sit on here clicking refresh, waiting for newbies to come pick on? Guess what, I don't judge you for what you like,don't judge me for what I like.

I honestly don't care, but to be honest, from your re-action, and the warnings people had to give about you, I thought you could be taken down a notch or two.

I have a funny,sneaking feeling you wouldn't have ever warmed up to me, regardless of how I responded. Reading Ayn Rand books must sum me up completely. I don't rage at people who read Dan Brown books, though sometimes I feel like I should :P

I just came here to reach out and hopefully find some likeminded people. First post is a negative one..would it make you feel like opening up?

I can read Rand and entertain ideas without taking them all on board. That's a skill most people *should* possess.

Pray tell, when did I get a chance exactly?

I'm NOT defending serial killers, gee you are really grasping at straws now. I just said she's not the only person to get inspiration for ideas/stories/songs from serial killers.

I don't recall anything in my previous post or this post condoning killing anybody, so calm down!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
Alan

I'm pretty sure I haven't grasped straws; I have responded to every single thing you have mentioned and hell, I have even responded to things I knew you would eventually say, such as the insistence on the "I don't care attitude"
That's a champion attitude to have in a forum: a place with other people.
If you had wanted a friendly debate why do you go straight at me? Did I ever attack you on my first post? Fuck no, just Rand. If that offends you that's your problem, not mine.

And man, I'm just drying my hair, what's wrong with being able to respond this quickly when I'm in front of the monitor? If you think that means I have no life what does it say about you? You're doing the same?
If you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
real classy
Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
This_Isnt_Me

Have a nice life, Alan. Have your forum back, too. I'm off to re-read the Fountainhead.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #23
Alan

Yeah, you go read that book about a terrorist who blew up a building because they didn't give him recognition when one of the conditions he asked for was to have no recognition.
real classy
Old 01-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #24
Alan

You guys know I'm a little paranoid, so just for the record:

It's not just me, right? It's clear I never initially offended him, it's up to him if he took offense at my hating Ayn Rand.
real classy
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
Murder.Of.Crows

No, she merely asked why she was such a terrible author. Then you slammed her with a shit load of information. Not that you are a monster, just you trying to make sure someone doesn't fall prey to idiocy. You know, what you usually do. You may have come off a bit strong though.