Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Nightwalker39

The Paranormal

Does paranormal activity really exist? Or do people create this just to entertain themselves and others? I would love to hear your thoughts or any paranormal activity that you have encountered. I will give you one of what i have experienced.

I believe my house is haunted. Not just because of all the people that have died here. But because of all the things that i have seen. One recent event is this: i was on my computer with a cigarette in the ashtray. Suddenly i hear something move next to me. I look over and at that exact moment i watch as my cigarette flips out of the ashtray and lands completely opposite of the ashtray.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Alan

It's bullshit. You're clearly trolling us.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Nightwalker39

How? I'm asking people to tell me their true stories.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Alan

They're not true if they have paranormal bullshit.
real classy
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Nightwalker39

Thats all a matter of opinion. I don't think you will be saying that when you experience your first haunting.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Judas

I do believe that there are "psychic echoes," that is, for whatever reason, someone or something leaves an imprint of itself behind, which might be seen later. In other words, those times when multiple people claim to see a "ghost" in a building, yet they all describe this ghost doing the same thing, are psychic echoes. They're basically just recordings of a past event. These are paranormal nothings. They have no effect on the surroundings, and are entirely harmless.

Actual ghosts, that is, once-living entities that have at least an instinctual response to the surroundings and other external stimuli, I'm on the fence about. I've never seen one, but I have seen a good amount of evidence that supports their existence. The problem with most of that evidence is that it's not independently verifiable. In other words, it's virtually unheard of that more than one person will go to a place and catch independent pictures/videos/EVPs of the same entity.

Evil non-human hell-spawned entities that can be conjured and bent to the conjurer's will to do their bidding? Let me think about that... no.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
Alan

Truth is BY DEFINITION not a matter of opinion, dipshit.
real classy
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Nightwalker39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
I do believe that there are "psychic echoes," that is, for whatever reason, someone or something leaves an imprint of itself behind, which might be seen later. In other words, those times when multiple people claim to see a "ghost" in a building, yet they all describe this ghost doing the same thing, are psychic echoes. They're basically just recordings of a past event. These are paranormal nothings. They have no effect on the surroundings, and are entirely harmless.

Actual ghosts, that is, once-living entities that have at least an instinctual response to the surroundings and other external stimuli, I'm on the fence about. I've never seen one, but I have seen a good amount of evidence that supports their existence. The problem with most of that evidence is that it's not independently verifiable. In other words, it's virtually unheard of that more than one person will go to a place and catch independent pictures/videos/EVPs of the same entity.

Evil non-human hell-spawned entities that can be conjured and bent to the conjurer's will to do their bidding? Let me think about that... no.
Thats a very valid response. I will have to take that into consideration.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
Judas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Truth is BY DEFINITION not a matter of opinion, dipshit.
The non-existence of paranormal happenings, however, is not truth. (Of course, the existence is not truth, either.) As I said in my above post, there is quite a bit of evidence. Does this evidence mean that paranormal happenings are real? No. But that doesn't mean that they don't happen, either. Whether they happen or not, THAT is the matter of opinion.

When it comes down to it, we don't know for certain. And if you're going to claim otherwise, I'd like to see some evidence to support that claim.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Alan

That's a nice piece of doublethink right there.
real classy
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
Judas

Quote:
That's a nice piece of doublethink right there.
Doublethink is the simultaneous belief in two contradictory ideas. I have not claimed that paranormal occurrences are not true. So, no, that's not doublethink at all.

I have, however, pointed out that the belief that there's no such thing as the paranormal is not necessarily a true belief.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Judas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
This might be a bit painful to understand, but many opinions are very very wrong. So this postulation is immaterial, brah.
I'm not claiming to be right. Only pointing out that, in the end, we don't know for certain one way or the other.

Quote:
Well, we CAN claim they aren't real and then test it empirically. However, if you're going claim they ARE real or assume the supernatural exists, then that claim is the one with the burden of proof.
If you'll notice in my first post in this topic, I'm not claiming that the paranormal is real. My first three words are, "I do believe." I am open to the idea that what I believe is wrong, and if someone can point out evidence showing that I'm wrong, I'll gladly examine it. All I'm asking is that people keep an open mind about something that we know next to nothing about. Alan is more than free to continue believing that the paranormal does not exist, but that doesn't mean that his belief is correct. Nor does it mean that mine is.

Quote:
I've got a pretty good question for you. If you believe that the supernatural is real; what's in it for you? What do you gain from this knowledge?
In a nutshell, not much. Which is why I don't give it all too much thought. I do find it a fun and sometimes interesting debate, though, so I guess I gain that much, at least.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
Nightwalker39

i suppose you could say its just something to talk about.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
Alan

Quote:
I'm not claiming to be right. Only pointing out that, in the end, we don't know for certain one way or the other.
We don't know for certain one way or another that gravity is a law.
Your argument is bullshit.
real classy
Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
Judas

Quote:
We don't know for certain one way or another that gravity is a law.
"Any two bodies attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them."

Quote:
Your argument is bullshit.
So prove it.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
Versus

Tell him about the burden of proof, Alan.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #17
Judas

Burden of proof? You mean that thing that says that the person making a claim must back it up? You know, like Alan's initial claim of his that the paranormal is "bullshit?" Yes, let's hear about the burden of proof.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #18
Nightwalker39

I'd like to see that as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 AM   #19
Alan

Quote:
"Any two bodies attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them."
Quoting what the law of gravity is doesn't prove that it is always true, dipshit.

Quote:
Burden of proof? You mean that thing that says that the person making a claim must back it up? You know, like Alan's initial claim of his that the paranormal is "bullshit?" Yes, let's hear about the burden of proof.
That's a point-zero claim. If I had said "Believing Santa Claus exists is bullshit" would you have bitched back at me by saying "Prove he doesn't!" ?
Are you that much of an idiot?
real classy
Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Are you that much of an idiot?
Stop asking rhetorical questions, you sly fox!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
ape descendant

Weird shit happens, but none of it is supernatural... things can't exist outside of nature, nature is what there is.

Every thing has a reasonable explanation, even people's experiences of ghosts and other spirit-like phenomena, brains are weird, our perception glitches some times. That is why testing things in a scientific manner is such a good thing to do.

I've experienced ghostie type things but I'm not 100% sure what they are, however I seriously doubt that they are some supernatural copy of some one who is deceased.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
Nightwalker39

Thats not exactly true. Not everything in this world can be proven.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker39 View Post
Thats not exactly true. Not everything in this world can be proven.
Lack of evidence to the contrary does not prove a positive claim. If you make a claim that cannot be proven or disproven then your claim is irrelevant.

Also: Quit trolling me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #24
Nightwalker39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Lack of evidence to the contrary does not prove a positive claim. If you make a claim that cannot be proven or disproven then your claim is irrelevant.

Also: Quit trolling me.
How does that Have anything to do with what i said?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #25
Alan

It has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT, you idiot.
real classy