Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Still Jack

Anarchists should be reported

Anarchists should be reported, advises Westminster anti-terror police
Robert Booth
guardian.co.uk source , Sunday 31 July 2011 19.14 BST

What should you do if you discover an anarchist living next door? Dust off your old Sex Pistols albums and hang out a black and red flag to make them feel at home? Invite them round to debate the merits of Peter Kropotkin's anarchist communism versus the individualist anarchism of Emile Armand? No – the answer, according to an official counter-terrorism notice circulated in London last week, is that you must report them to police immediately.

This was the surprising injunction from the Metropolitan Police issued to businesses and members of the public in Westminster last week. There was no warning about other political groups, but next to an image of the anarchist emblem, the City of Westminster police's "counter terrorist focus desk" called for anti-anarchist whistleblowers stating: "Anarchism is a political philosophy which considers the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful, and instead promotes a stateless society, or anarchy. Any information relating to anarchists should be reported to your local police."

The move angered some anarchists who complained that being an anarchist should not imply criminal behaviour. They said they feel unfairly criminalised for holding a set of political beliefs.

The feeling of disproportion was compounded by the briefing note author making a similar request about Islamist terrorists a few lines further down. Under an image of flag with a gold dot beneath some Arabic script it added: "Often seen used by al-Qaida in Iraq. Any sightings of these images should be reported to your local police."

"It unfairly implies that anyone involved in anarchism should be known to the police and is involved in an dangerous activity," said Jason Sands, an anarchist from South London. "There is nothing inherently criminal about political philosophy whatever it is. The police work under the convention on human rights which disallows discrimination against people because of their political beliefs and even the request for information would seem to be in breach of that. It also seems to be a bit useless as a way of gathering intelligence. It isn't focused on anything specific and they are just asking for general information. Imagine calling up and saying 'there's an anarchist in my building. What should I do?' It doesn't make sense."

The note was issued from Belgravia Police Station as part of Project Griffin which aims to "advise and familiarise managers, security officers and employees of large public and private sector organisations across the capital on security, counter-terrorism and crime prevention issues".

Sean Smith, external relations officer for Solfed, the British section of the anarcho-syndicalist International Workers' Association, said of the call for whistleblowers: "It's pretty absurd, but not surprising, when the state seeks to criminalise ideas it deems to be dangerous to its own survival".

"We are a revolutionary union initiative," he explained. "Members of our organisation believe in bringing about radical social change through workplace and community organising, not acts of terrorism. We have made extensive information about our ideas and strategy freely available online."

Small groups of anarchists masked and dressed in black did cause some damage to shop windows in central London during anti-cuts demonstrations in the Spring, but there has been little activity of late. The next big anarchist event in London appears hardly likely to concern the police. It is a book fair in October with "all-day cabaret starring assorted ranters, poets, singers and comics; all-day film showings and two kids' spaces".
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Despanan

Great. Someone is probably reporting me as we speak.

THIS IS YOUR FAULT ALAN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
Saya

Kinda has a Cold War mentality feel about it, doesn't it?

Is your washroom aggravating anarchists?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
CptSternn

Isn't an edict like that screaming to be abused? What defines an anarchist? Are they going to report people wearing Sex Pistols shirts or shirts with a big A in a circle on them? What about teens who claim to be anarchists? They obviously didn't think this one out.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Still Jack

I hope they do report the dickheads with the circle A shirts. That would make my day.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Absent Soul

the only thing i dont really get there is why are there people promoting themselves as anarchists. if they label themselves as anarchists then all surely all they are going to get is alot of attention.
Absent Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Alan

.... and ?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Grausamkeit

Damn those anarchists! They could be sitting somewhere right this minute...on some wireless net device....giving people IDEAS! We all know how dangerous those are!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
ape descendant

Fuck this and everything about this.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Deadmanwalking_05

How long did it take for the riots to happen after this was started?

I'm not saying that it's the fault of Anarchists but this does provide the system a target to go after,and who is to say the riots weren't started by Agents Provocateur to begin with?

after all the Police in Canada were caught trying to stir violent shit up at the G-20 protests a few years back.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote