Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #7376
MissCheyenne

Yeah, except that one sly bastard. I'm tempted to just pull it out but I'm scared of making my eyelid swell.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #7377
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
That happens to me a lot with the whole eye lash thing. Damn these beautiful long lashes of mine! DAMN THEM I SAY!
Please. Just try to compete with this.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/GrottyGilgamesh/1200349837_l.jpg
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #7378
Solumina

Fuck you weather, you were supposed to be nice tomorrow, now it is supposed to be all windy and shit. Now I'm going to have to change my plans because I don't want to get ice cream if it is all cloudy and windy.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #7379
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Fuck you weather, you were supposed to be nice tomorrow, now it is supposed to be all windy and shit. Now I'm going to have to change my plans because I don't want to get ice cream if it is all cloudy and windy.
So you're a fair weather ice cream fan then?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #7380
Solumina

Wind and ice cream don't mix, my hair would get all in it every time I try to take a lick
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #7381
carakitty

I am probably two weeks away from flunking out of my current Vet Tech program. Because of one stupid class. Trying to decide if I'm going to tackle applying at Vet Clinics straight off the bat, or if taking a break and working a coffee shop or retail would be better for my mental state.

Had a brief chat with our Student Services councilor about the situation and she encouraged me to stay with the Vet field if that is what I enjoy, but going for a position in a Doggy Day Care or as a receptionist. I don't really want to do stuff like that.

I want to nurse the creatures. Yes, I truly love wiping snotty URI kitty faces and holding someone on my lap and spoon feeding them. We legally don't have to be certified in my state yet to hold a Technician position but people are working to change that and it probably will go into effect in a couple years.

In the mean time, I'm waiting to hear back from one of my instructors about if my assessment of my grade was accurate. There may be a miniscule shred of hope I can still cling to. One more quiz, then the final. But I don't think even if I totally ACE those that my grade will go from a 58% (last time I checked) to a 71%.

Thankfully my other class is holding steady, but that really doesn't matter. I must pass that problem class or I'm permanently kicked out of the program.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #7382
Versus

BATTLESHIPS AREN'T EVEN PART OF A MODERN NAVY ANYMORE LET'S JUST CALL THE MOVIE GALLEON OR MAYBE IRONCLAD.

You sunk my carrier group! Silly pop culture.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #7383
Cannon

Fuuuuuuuuck
I have a date with the most attractive guy I've seen, and I'm too insecure to go.
Wow, typical female problems. Kinda disappointed :/
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #7384
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
BATTLESHIPS AREN'T EVEN PART OF A MODERN NAVY ANYMORE LET'S JUST CALL THE MOVIE GALLEON OR MAYBE IRONCLAD.

You sunk my carrier group! Silly pop culture.
Meh I'd much rather the movie simply was never made. But anyways in the meantime who knows perhaps battleships will make a comeback due to the development of railguns. It's quite interesting to consider the tactical implications railguns will have and how they will affect ship design due to their extreme ranges.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #7385
Solumina

I really need to buy a better sports bra but the good ones are sooooo expensive
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #7386
Jackson Cutler

Everyone in my life seems to want attention from me like immediately and am labelling me as a shitty friend because I don't want to deal with that shit right now. I kinda got my own shit to sort out right now. When I'm done with that I can comfort you for no longer being in a relationship. Until then, back the fuck up and sort your own life out.
Jackson Cutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #7387
Solumina

I feel like I'm falling apart, I just want someone to wrap me up in their arms and hold me together.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #7388
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I feel like I'm falling apart, I just want someone to wrap me up in their arms and hold me together.
Just two weeks left until you can see Jake again, you just have to hold on a little longer! Until then here is an appropriate song for you to listen to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmYWIwlSQiA
admittedly it is from a video game soundtrack, but it is a historically accurate strategy game soundtrack.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #7389
MissCheyenne

Spent four hours in A&E last night. They told me I 'probably' partially dislocated my wrist and it's badly sprained so now I have to wear a sling for a week to rest it.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #7390
Alan

A friend asked me several months ago if I could translate a book he's working on. I said yes because I didn't have much to do at the time but procrastinated like hell after I started my seminar.
Only recently I began to translate as he keeps pressuring me to give him the translation already.
So now I have to dedicate fulltime into this translation. And it's fucking bullshit! These stories are fucking cliché and extremely misogynist. I want to punch him every time I have to read another page.
Imagine the literature section in here compiled into an anthology, all about 'lost loves' which, being close friends to him, I know are offensively thinly veiled references to women I know, and the narrator is a complete Gary Sue character (obviously)

The worst part is I can't do shit about it, because I lied to him that I was almost done with the translation.
I didn't know his stories would be this bad! I didn't know!!
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #7391
Valhalla

Okay I have a new reason for not liking the women's studies text book. It implied that the rise of western science had something to do with the mostly men scientists and doctors wanting to put down the women healers and midwives.

No, these people didn't really care about learning to cure diseases with medicine. They just wanted to take the power away from those women and hippies, with their smelly herbs and their fancy ovaries.

I'm not arguing it didn't take status and power away from these women, because it surely did, but I honestly doubt that was why a bunch of men decided to research the body and become doctors.

I guess I just don't like the 'how dare they' tone. The book could have linked these two things without completely blaming the men like it was an evil plot.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #7392
Alan

Seeing how the first hints at modern anatomy and medicine weren't "let's study the structure of the cell wall" and "we must improve the hygienic conditions of surgery"; and more "the female is created by an imbalance of humours during the gestation period" and "hysteric patients must be cured by channeling the erratic sexuality they cannot control (i.e. give them a good dicking)"; I'd say that your book has more validity than you give it credit.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #7393
Grausamkeit

Jill is right. Read the history. Or hell, just study the idiocy that was the Victorian Era!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #7394
Saya

To be fair to Val that text book isn't the greatest, I like that it took a transnationalist stance (most other text books in the WS department, at least in the courses I've taken so far, are more American or Euro centric) but not a whole lot of context is given for the excerpts and articles it has.

In the Feminist Theory text book there's an awesome excerpt from The Myth Of The Vaginal Orgasm by Anne Koedt that focuses on medical views of female sexuality that is absolutely appalling (no clit stimulation needed! If you can't orgasm from penetration alone, you're frigid! You should get surgery to move your clit down lower to your vag so you can orgasm through penetration alone).

The Victorian stuff was even more scary, it used to be believed that a child could only be produced if the woman orgasm, so if a woman was rraped and consequently got pregnant, she enjoyed it and she's a liar. There was also the medical theory that the vagina is a "quivering sheath" that the woman needs to hold it still for penetration, therefore a single man wouldn't be able to force penetration, it was gang **** or it was consensual.

Also for midwifery, its true. A lot of people like to shit on them as a hippy dippy thing but honestly a lot of women don't need serious medical intervention for giving birth, legislating midwifery would cut down on overcrowding in hospitals as those who can have healthy babies at home or a midwifery centre don't have to bother the hospitals. Newfoundland has a horrific C-section rate primarily because doctors want to get through birthing as quickly as possible and move on to the next patient.

I looked into being a midwife, but its more schooling than being a nurse.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #7395
Grausamkeit

Sol, I'm sorry hun. Nothing is forever, love. Not the good and especially not the bad!

*HUGZ*

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #7396
Acharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Also for midwifery, its true. A lot of people like to shit on them as a hippy dippy thing but honestly a lot of women don't need serious medical intervention for giving birth, legislating midwifery would cut down on overcrowding in hospitals as those who can have healthy babies at home or a midwifery centre don't have to bother the hospitals. Newfoundland has a horrific C-section rate primarily because doctors want to get through birthing as quickly as possible and move on to the next patient.

True. My mother was a lay midwife in the 60s, and apparently the popularity of home-births and midwifery was a backlash against the control over womens bodies during birth by the overwhelmingly male doctors.

(I'm talking flat on the back, stirrups, compulsory enemas and genital shaving, being drugged out for jaws of life instead of being allowed to deliver... basically births were generally treated as medical emergencies even when they weren't, and the woman was allowed no dignity or control over her own body.)

Also it wasn't that a bunch of men decided to study medicine. It was that a bunch of people wanted to, and until very recently it was only the men that were allowed to gain that knowledge and power.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #7397
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
I am probably two weeks away from flunking out of my current Vet Tech program. Because of one stupid class. Trying to decide if I'm going to tackle applying at Vet Clinics straight off the bat, or if taking a break and working a coffee shop or retail would be better for my mental state.

Had a brief chat with our Student Services councilor about the situation and she encouraged me to stay with the Vet field if that is what I enjoy, but going for a position in a Doggy Day Care or as a receptionist. I don't really want to do stuff like that.

I want to nurse the creatures. Yes, I truly love wiping snotty URI kitty faces and holding someone on my lap and spoon feeding them. We legally don't have to be certified in my state yet to hold a Technician position but people are working to change that and it probably will go into effect in a couple years.

In the mean time, I'm waiting to hear back from one of my instructors about if my assessment of my grade was accurate. There may be a miniscule shred of hope I can still cling to. One more quiz, then the final. But I don't think even if I totally ACE those that my grade will go from a 58% (last time I checked) to a 71%.

Thankfully my other class is holding steady, but that really doesn't matter. I must pass that problem class or I'm permanently kicked out of the program.

Sorry to hear this CK - can you retake the class?

MissC - hope your wrist gets better.

I hate cold weather.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #7398
Valhalla

Quote:
Seeing how the first hints at modern anatomy and medicine weren't "let's study the structure of the cell wall" and "we must improve the hygienic conditions of surgery"; and more "the female is created by an imbalance of humours during the gestation period" and "hysteric patients must be cured by channeling the erratic sexuality they cannot control (i.e. give them a good dicking)"; I'd say that your book has more validity than you give it credit.
My question is why didn't it just say something like that. They actually said nothing about the advancement of medical knowledge. The point was that these scientists/doctors (read: these 'experts') took away status from the female healers. And yeah they were by no means experts, as enforced by the books emphasis marks, but it kind of skimmed over the whole thing and said nothing else about the doctors/healers/midwives.

And I can't stand all the little emphasis marks the book uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
To be fair to Val that text book isn't the greatest, I like that it took a transnationalist stance (most other text books in the WS department, at least in the courses I've taken so far, are more American or Euro centric) but not a whole lot of context is given for the excerpts and articles it has.
You're right there. It also doesn't like to back up, or give context to, a lot of the points it makes. It just makes these vague comments then I can either fill in the blank with reasoning, or I can't. I think I'm just supposed to agree with what it says based on the fact that it said it. I think one of the big problems is that it's supposed to introduce the later readings, but does it over pages and pages. Then after I read what the chapter itself says I get to the readings that are better written and supposed to back up it's points. It might have done better to break up the chapter and put the relevant bits in front of the different section readings.

Quote:
In the Feminist Theory text book there's an awesome excerpt from The Myth Of The Vaginal Orgasm by Anne Koedt that focuses on medical views of female sexuality that is absolutely appalling (no clit stimulation needed! If you can't orgasm from penetration alone, you're frigid! You should get surgery to move your clit down lower to your vag so you can orgasm through penetration alone).

The Victorian stuff was even more scary, it used to be believed that a child could only be produced if the woman orgasm, so if a woman was rraped and consequently got pregnant, she enjoyed it and she's a liar. There was also the medical theory that the vagina is a "quivering sheath" that the woman needs to hold it still for penetration, therefore a single man wouldn't be able to force penetration, it was gang **** or it was consensual.

That sounds terrible. Interesting, but terrible. I thought the view was that women didn't orgasm anyway, but that's probably worse since it implied most women were 'broken' or 'wrong'

But see that sounds so much more interesting than what I'm reading. The last thing I read from the book was that text books/people shouldn't say that menstruation is wasteful. Even though I've always thought it was. I mean the body prepares to have a baby, the woman doesn't get pregnant, so it disposes of it's preparations. I never thought of it as being a sexist male way to make my body seem inferior. So after I read that bit I started trying to come up with a way to explain it without using sheds, wastes, disposes, loses, or any other word that could sound negative. Don't think I can do it.

I have nothing against midwifery. I know a woman who chose to have her baby delivered by one, at her house. It was really interesting to hear her talk about it, since I've never met another person (who has brought up) having her baby birthed by a midwife. I didn't even know we had a midwife school.

/Was supposed to get ready 10 minutes ago. Hopes all this was coherent.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #7399
Solumina

I have this stiff pain in my neck that just will not go away, most likely from sleeping oddly and/or tossing about so much before falling asleep.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #7400
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
But see that sounds so much more interesting than what I'm reading. The last thing I read from the book was that text books/people shouldn't say that menstruation is wasteful. Even though I've always thought it was. I mean the body prepares to have a baby, the woman doesn't get pregnant, so it disposes of it's preparations. I never thought of it as being a sexist male way to make my body seem inferior. So after I read that bit I started trying to come up with a way to explain it without using sheds, wastes, disposes, loses, or any other word that could sound negative. Don't think I can do it.
Ha, that's a point that we keep coming back to in later classes. Part of it is how linguistics shape how we think of ourselves, and part is he curious trend of women's bodies being dynamic and life giving, but we equate "feminine" with wastefulness, death, destruction, while we equate "masculine" with dynamic, life, energy, and even in fields like medicine and science which are supposed to be objective, our sexism leaks out in our language.

Even for traits that we equate with "feminine", love, empathy, selflessness, its debatable whether we give "feminine" these traits in an effort to enforce patriarchy on women (you're supposed to be a selfless mother, that's your point in life!) or if we view those traits as unmanly and weak because women have claimed them well.

I should also point out that the text is an anthology of interesting articles about feminism and women's studies and not necessarily presented as absolute truth. Our prof made us write journal entries every week on our readings that required a bit of research that provided more context, so that was helpful.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote