Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
BLEED REBELION!!!

Male Dominated Society?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3F8W0nKcbs

So I saw this video.....
Comments?
Oppinions?
Examples?

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
BLEED REBELION!!!

Women & fights..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtBvjSv3XPw&feature=user

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
JCC

Yeah we're in a male dominated society. Take into account the thread that Jillian posted, commercials depicting housewives cleaning and men out on business meetings and what have you, there's plenty of social stereotypes imposed on people. The leading supplier of baby and infant products in the UK is called Mothercare. Not Parentcare. Mothercare. That's because there's a definite social stereotype there of the role of a woman in a household. What about tits? At some point in history, the male breast was liberated and still the female one isn't. Fuck, look at marriage. Ever wondered why the bride takes the husband's name? OWNERSHIP. There's plenty of different things to reference to show an oppression of females, still.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
medbh4805

The thing about marriage is more extensive. What does an engagement ring signify?

Believe it or not, there are people who believe we don't live in a male dominated society.

read this, it'll really make your blood boil (and it ain't a joke )
medbh4805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
JCC

Engagement rings are completely irrelevant one way or another. Just a Roman symbol of which finger they prefer. Marriage is about male domination.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
KontanKarite

Shenanigans.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

I can't see this as a conversation that will develop. I already take it as granted that people know we live in a patriarchal society.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Yeah we're in a male dominated society. Take into account the thread that Jillian posted, commercials depicting housewives cleaning and men out on business meetings and what have you, there's plenty of social stereotypes imposed on people.

But who determines which is more valuable? The housewife/husband or the working woman/man?

Hell, I'm super introverted and kind of a home body. I mean, I wouldn't really have a huge problem with being a househusband if it were an affordable thing.

But for the most part, I kinda like being able for both sides to work at both things.

I think the stigma IS the stereotypes and not the kind of work. I kinda doubt in the grand scheme of things that being a CEO is more important than being a home maker.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I kinda doubt in the grand scheme of things that being a CEO is more important than being a home maker.
In the grand scheme of things a professor isn't nearly as important as a farmer. Do you agree with this?
Virtually everyone does not.
I'm not sure where you're coming from right here, but if it's your subjective values of roles, then neither your nor my opinions are really relevant to the reality of right now, in which men are more important than women, and CEOs will be hundreds of times more respected than a housewife.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
In the grand scheme of things a professor isn't nearly as important as a farmer. Do you agree with this?
Virtually everyone does not.
I'm not sure where you're coming from right here, but if it's your subjective values of roles, then neither your nor my opinions are really relevant to the reality of right now, in which men are more important than women, and CEOs will be hundreds of times more respected than a housewife.

But that's a result of an imposed value. It's like thinking gold is as precious as everyone thinks it is. Yet evidence shows that silver has medicinal qualities that promote faster healing and gold is still considered fairly more valuable.

But for the record, you're right about what is real and what is essentially what I THINK SHOULD be real.

Obviously I agree that in the grand scheme of things, a professor isn't more valuable than the farmer. They both have their uses that are essential to the quality of life.

People just THINK certain things are more important than others. Many times, it's not as true as most would think.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
But who determines which is more valuable? The housewife/husband or the working woman/man?

Hell, I'm super introverted and kind of a home body. I mean, I wouldn't really have a huge problem with being a househusband if it were an affordable thing.

But for the most part, I kinda like being able for both sides to work at both things.

I think the stigma IS the stereotypes and not the kind of work. I kinda doubt in the grand scheme of things that being a CEO is more important than being a home maker.
No, I'm not saying it's a BAD thing to be a housewife or househusband, I'm saying it's expected for a woman to carry out those sort of tasks despite the fact that we seem to be under the illusion of being a liberal and tolerant world. We still impose this expectation on people.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

But you could just as easily argue the reverse: men are expected to hold the "bread-winner" job, and it's frowned upon when a man becomes a househusband when his wife's making more money than he is.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #13
JCC

Yeah, I know. There's imposed social stereotypes in abundance, women get the shittier ones, hahaha.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
TurquoiseXx

This topic is pretty subjective. I would like to say that it's a male dominated society, but women are more dominant, or should I say, have a higher advantage than men under certain circumstances (not always).

Two examples: Women (in general) are the ones who get primary custody of their children after a divorce is settled (oh, and they get a heck of a lotta money that's not even theirs most of the time). If a woman gets physically aggressive with a man, and the man retaliates, he is the one who gets punished first.

Men are definitely more respected as a whole, but a woman can do far more damage if she decided to use the laws in this country to her own advantage.

That's just ONE viewpoint that I have on this topic. Like I said before, this is a pretty subjective topic so I don't feel like writing a whole essay on it :P
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
PortraitOfSanity

Great point.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
peacebear5028

It varys. But really i think it is male dominated. In the spectrum of piggish acts it definitely reigns supreme. I cant stand and wait for a bus with my friend to go to the bookstore without some creep waving money out his window and honking at me. I feel like im ruled by the fear of whats going to happen to me when i step out.
And what happens when a son loses there virginity? Well there father celebrates with them of course. For what exactly? well for dominating the female through sex. And when a girl loses her virginity shes nothing but a slut.
Now this isnt always the case but it does seem to be the most prevailing.
Women can have jobs now but they still have more expectations put on them to take care of the children and cook and clean even if they have just as hard as a job as the male counterpart.
And for marriage its one thing to want to join together to show the love for one another as equal counterparts but I never understood as a child and now as an adolescent why the woman must take the mans name.
Thats why I agree with a certain native american tribe that the lines of the family should be traced from the woman. The woman is the giver of the children.
Women are respected but not nearly as much as males.
I could go on and on but then it would become even more of a crazed rant so ill leave it be.
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #17
CptSternn

"Women are always saying men are pigs. Well, its true, men ARE pigs. It's just too damn bad we own everything. "

- Tim Allen
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
Beneath the Shadows

I just came across the articles...

Article 1...

Article 2...

Basically, they want to close women's prisons in England because of the suicide rate (70 in 10 years), and only the worst offenders remain behind bars... where they "would be allowed to live as a 'family unit' with between 20 and 30 other women prisoners, organising their own shopping, budgets and cooking." In other words, a medium-security day spa.

Anything similar for the men? Just guess.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
I just came across the articles...

Article 1...

Article 2...

Basically, they want to close women's prisons in England because of the suicide rate (70 in 10 years), and only the worst offenders remain behind bars... where they "would be allowed to live as a 'family unit' with between 20 and 30 other women prisoners, organising their own shopping, budgets and cooking." In other words, a medium-security day spa.

Anything similar for the men? Just guess.
*Facepalm*

I've got the perfect phrase of equality.

"Regardless of gender, sex, color, or creed, you're all fuckers so piss off."

Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
Fatbaby

In this culture, in most of the social orders of the world men are dominant. This has little or nothing to do with better hunting skills; mostly women collecting brought in the greater portion of foodstuffs. In more tribal cultures there is a lesser extent of male domination. Still even in our culture how a man and a woman share and come to depend on each other can be equal. It has not happened to me but I still dream.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #21
Onyx Nightshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseXx
This topic is pretty subjective. I would like to say that it's a male dominated society, but women are more dominant, or should I say, have a higher advantage than men under certain circumstances (not always).

Two examples: Women (in general) are the ones who get primary custody of their children after a divorce is settled (oh, and they get a heck of a lotta money that's not even theirs most of the time). If a woman gets physically aggressive with a man, and the man retaliates, he is the one who gets punished first.

Men are definitely more respected as a whole, but a woman can do far more damage if she decided to use the laws in this country to her own advantage.
The interesting thing about most of the advantages that women have in our society is that those advantages are indirect results of stereotypes imposed on women by men. Women usually are awarded custody of the children because it is believed that a woman's place is in the home, taking care of the children . You rarely hear about domestic abuse cases where women are the abusers because it is the stereotype that women are weaker than men and cannot possibly inflict any significant injury to a man.
Onyx Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #22
Fatbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Nightshade
You rarely hear about domestic abuse cases where women are the abusers because it is the stereotype that women are weaker than men and cannot possibly inflict any significant injury to a man.

Abuse occurs much more frequently than it is reported with both men and women as the abuser. A man less frequently reports abusive occurences as it affects his status. Thoough, you frequently hear of henpecked men.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #23
a morbid curiosity

This guy keeps contradicting himself.
This is a male dominated society, because the only advantages women have over men are because of the mentality that they are weaker.
And the media's portrayal of women is utterly abysmal, but it stems from what was intended by women at first as "liberation"--even feminism has been twisted around to suit the needs and wants of men.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote