Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #26
Cousin_Itt

My favorite Pink Floyd song is Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_0iZQ-TuA
Cousin_Itt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #27
Steppenwolf

Atom Heart Mother
(batteries sold separately)
Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #28
Wormboy

Wish You Were Here for the WIN!

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #29
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
Wish You Were Here for the WIN!
What about "Waiting for the Worms"?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #30
Scarlet

Interstellar Overdrive (from Piper at the Gates of Dawn), Echoes (from Meddle), Sheep (from Animals), Money (from Dark Side of the Moon), High Hopes (from The Division Bell).

Now, the real question is who does the best live version of Dark Side of the Moon? Roger Waters and his band of defectors or; David Gilmore & Nick Mason's laconically nick-named Pink Fraud? :P
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:36 AM   #31
HellforgedX

Listen to any of them, but extremely stoned or spun out on acid, and you'll have the original Pink Floyd Experience.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #32
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Now, the real question is who does the best live version of Dark Side of the Moon? Roger Waters and his band of defectors or; David Gilmore & Nick Mason's laconically nick-named Pink Fraud? :P
Didn't know Waters or Floyd still performed that. Well, since Gilmour-era Floyd also had Wright I'd say Gilmour's Floyd to Waters's solo.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:04 AM   #33
Scarlet

I have to say I'm skewed towards Waters, if only for the fact that I've seen him perform in the flesh.

The Mason/Gilmore/Wright sans Waters version I'm most familiar with is the one from the Pulse concert (the remastered DVD is fantastic).

Waters did his solo tour and came to my humble town at the end of January. My girlfriend and I had bought last minute tickets a day before the performance, so we were halfway up staring down upon the right hand side of the stage so we basically got to see the musicians perform from behind. His first set was a mix of Floyd classics and old and new solo material, and the second set was a complete performance of Dark Side of the Moon, and that just blew us all away.

What always amuses me though is that Pink Floyd wrote that as a four-piece, even performed it as such, not to mention their earlier work was recorded and performed by a small group of stoners from Cambridge, yet when they perform now they have a massive ensemble to attempt to recapture that grandiosity they managed to attain in the early years... pre-wanting to kill each other.

Last edited by Scarlet; 12-08-2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Ah yes, Richard Wright, we all forget about him.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #34
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
What always amuses me though is that Pink Floyd wrote that as a four-piece, even performed it as such, not to mention their earlier work was recorded and performed by a small group of stoners from Cambridge, yet when they perform now they have a massive ensemble to attempt to recapture that grandiosity they managed to attain in the early years... pre-wanting to kill each other.
DSoTM was written to be performed with more than four members.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #35
Scarlet

Point taken. The crew for that album included Claire Torry for Great Gig in the Sky, four backing vocalists, and saxophonist Dick Parry. Parry appears twice on the record and Torry once.

But that's not really what I'm getting at, it's more that watching Waters live, he had at least three guitarists on at any one time. Heh, that's what you get for multitracking your guitars on the recording. Doesn't mean it didn't sound fantastic though.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #36
anon1566

pink floyd are shit cuntwaffles
anon1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #37
Scarlet

Sounds like an Anal Cunt track that. :P
Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #38
Eclipsing the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
Atom Heart Mother
(batteries sold separately)
Hmm. The band themselves consider that album to be garbage. I kind of agree. Everything before Meddle was kind of unfocused and messy sounding. Meddle was where they really found their sound and got things going.

Meddle, Darkside, Wish You Were Here and Animals are my favorite Pink Floyd albums.

Obscured by Clouds is also and excellent soundtrack.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #39
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
It IS their only consistently good album. There are a few good songs which aren't on it (some better than several of the songs that are, granted), but it's their only good album as a whole.
Apathy, you seriously need to know when to shut the hell up. Music is a very subjective art, meaning that what one person prefers is not anothers....
There is no bad nor good as an outline, just preference.
Trying to put a final word to what you think everyone else should follow (that they had only one good album) shows your ignorance and lack in musical understanding in general, otherwise you would've known what I have just said.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #40
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetheanBlacklight
Apathy, you seriously need to know when to shut the hell up.
I already do. When I'm tied to a chair and some guy who hates DSotM has a gun to my firstborn's head and looks wiling to use it, I'll shut the hell up and tell him whatever he wants to hear.

Until then, I'll say whatever the fuck I please.

Quote:
Music is a very subjective art, meaning that what one person prefers is not anothers....
NO SHIT SHERLOCK!! What're you doing on a goth forum? With insights like this, the academic world is your oyster, my friend!

Quote:
There is no bad nor good as an outline, just preference.
Unless you genuinely believe that there is no gap in artistic merit between between Stephanie Meyers and Dostoevsky, this argument is bullshit.

In fact, if you do, there's even greater level bullshit at its basis.

Quote:
Trying to put a final word to what you think everyone else should follow (that they had only one good album) shows your ignorance and lack in musical understanding in general, otherwise you would've known what I have just said.
I know what you just said. "Blah blah subjective blah blah I'll like what I want." So will I, and when someone asks my opinion as the OP did, I'll give it.

Resenting the implication that the only reason I consider DSotM the only consistently accomplished Pink Floyd album is because it's popular is not akin to displaying a lack of musical understanding. Implying that all art is equal in merit and taste is the only deciding factor, on the other hand, is the mentality that gave rise to reality TV as an alternative to reading. Feelin' liberated about that?

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #41
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Unless you genuinely believe that there is no gap in artistic merit between between Stephanie Meyers and Dostoevsky, this argument is bullshit.
There's a difference between writing and music. Writing is a far less subjective art. If you just smashed your head on a keyboard repeatedly, you probably wouldn't have a very appealing book. In Music, however, we have entire genres for silliness, and simplicity. Ever heard of No Wave? Avant-Garde?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #42
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
There's a difference between writing and music. Writing is a far less subjective art.
No it isn't. It's good that you're acknowledging the boundaries of subjectivity in art, but by denying these in music, you're validating all kinds of shite.
Quote:
If you just smashed your head on a keyboard repeatedly, you probably wouldn't have a very appealing book. In Music, however, we have entire genres for silliness, and simplicity. Ever heard of No Wave? Avant-Garde?
There are genres of writing for these, as well as music. Silly humor and simple, pared-down-to-the-bones prose exist in writing as well. Ever read Joseph Heller? Or Hemingway? You haven't pointed out any real differences between music and writing with this argument.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #43
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
There are genres of writing for these, as well as music. Silly humor and simple, pared-down-to-the-bones prose exist in writing as well. Ever read Joseph Heller? Or Hemingway? You haven't pointed out any real differences between music and writing with this argument.
Are you willing to compare either of said authors to primitive drumming accompanied by primal incoherent screaming?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #44
LetheanBlacklight

Sound effects us differently than does writing, leading music to be more abstract. Because a song can mean something to one person, due to progression or whatother variables ect. which will have no effect on another. It's why people argue about music so much.
A good artist to one is complete shite to another...
Another thing I must have mentioned is that I'm talking about those artists who have reached the pinnacle of their ability.
Writing on the other hand, has a skill level. If the writing is dry, then it is dry. If it is exciting, than it is such.

The only ones I see praising Stephanie Meyer are the ones who lack education in the art, and those who use it as a marketing tool and money maker.
Come to think of it, Music has that too, marketing tools to the uneducated.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #45
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1566
shit cuntwaffles
Ha! That's a keeper!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #46
Thymian

I love 'The Wall'. Absolutely amazing album.
Thymian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 AM   #47
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
In Music, however, we have entire genres for silliness, and simplicity. Ever heard of No Wave? Avant-Garde?
Ha, you're an idiot.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #48
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Ha, you're an idiot.
Excuse amoi?
Old 12-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #49
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymian
I love 'The Wall'. Absolutely amazing album.
Hell yeah , a MUST for Unimatrix right now
Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #50
Geoluhread

Gave them another shot. I like High Hopes. But still nothing else.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote