Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Johnny Gnar Gnar

RIP, Wolf #253

I had the chance to watch this guy in action. He was one of the coolest wolves I have ever watched. RIP, buddy.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/aw...d%20peak_3.jpg

On Friday, March 28th, the US Fish and Wildlife Service removed federal endangered species protection from gray wolves in the rocky mountain region. Within a few short hours reports started coming in of wolves being shot in Wyoming where they can now be killed anytime and for any reason in most of the state. Among those first to be killed was a wolf known to many as #253.

Wolf #253 was a member of the Druid pack and first became famous for surviving a brutal fight with a competing pack that left him with the use of only three of his legs. His dark, black coat, signature limp and eager perseverance won him fans among the public who traveled to Yellowstone for a glimpse of the survivor.

His status as famous turned to infamous in 2002 when wolf #253 ventured out of the park, looking to start his own pack and was found hundreds of miles away just north of Salt Lake City in a coyote trap. His journey became the first confirmed wolf sighting in Utah in over 70 years. He was returned to Yellowstone with a new limp from the ordeal, but quickly ran again with his old pack.

Wolf #253 was a symbol of wolf recovery and its short comings in the rocky mountain region. Full of spirit and promise, but not quite fully recovered, the population will continue to limp along. We believe that removing the rocky mountain wolves from the Endangered Species Act is premature and have filed a notice of our intent to challenge the government’s decision in federal court at the end of this month. In the meantime, we hope that the demise of wolf #253 is not a harbinger for the demise of all the hard work that has gotten the wolves to where they are today. Let’s not allow one of our greatest success stories to turn into one of our most regrettable failures.
Story from http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/aw...f_253_rip.html
Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
korinna5555

Rest in peace, 253.

On another (slightly different) note, I HATE bobcat hunting. It's pointless, and it's DISGUSTING. Bobcat is my spirit guide, so it's even more offensive to me. >_<
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Jaye Jang

I'm sorry, JGG. They did the same thing in my state, too, with the same sad results. If this keeps up we may lose these beautiful animals someday. Reminds me of the song by Joni Mitchell, "Big Yellow Taxi", with the phrase, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til its gone?"
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
Rest in peace, 253.

On another (slightly different) note, I HATE bobcat hunting. It's pointless, and it's DISGUSTING. Bobcat is my spirit guide, so it's even more offensive to me. >_<

I'm staying at a lodge in Pinedale, and a bobcat ran around the porch today. I was in Jackson, so I didn't get to see it, but I hear it was very cool. He just hangs around here.

Edit to add. Korinna, wolf is one of my spirit animals, so you know what I feel. I just hope they let leak who shot 253. I won't be held responsible for my own actions at that point in time.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
korinna5555

Wolf is one of Justin's, and he has often visited me.. both wolf and bobcat are REALLY special to me.
I'd like to gut shoot whoever shot that wolf.. honestly. I'd love to.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Johnny Gnar Gnar

No comment. We already have a posse arranged.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
XXChristabelXX

On an ironic note, when people shoot enough of the wolves they'll get back on the endangered list. I am not saying that is good, but that people are predictable and lack an ability to think for the future.

Picking "only" one flower won't cause harm because it is only one- but all of the flowers are gone because *everyone* picks "only one*.

Sad that the onyl way to preserve a species may be to keep it at such a low number as to constantly remain endangered.

And at the same time, the prey of the species are rampant- overgrazing and starving. Many states now have programs for open deer shoots- and all of the deer meat is donated to food banks. While that is a decent program, the overpopulation of grazing animals would not be an issue if we would think.
XXChristabelXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
korinna5555

People are more likely to die in a deer related car accident than be killed by a predator.
I just wanna know why people (over)graze their animals on PUBLIC property, and then bitch about predators. It's not the wolves fault that cows are stupid.
I still think everyone would benefit if ranchers raised something like elk; elk are evolved to "combat" grizzlies and wolves.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Beneath the Shadows

What stupid fucking people. "Oh, they're not endangered anymore? Great, let's go shoot some!" Why?! What's the point?! Oak trees aren't endangered, but I don't see going off to chop one down!

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Jaye Jang

At least you folks don't have our 'genius' Governor. He not only allowed our wolves to be pulled off the endangered list (and yes our bobcats and mountain lions are next). He is trying to get some of our pristine wilderness off the national protection list so it can be turned over to developers. The good news is that this has united farmers, ranchers, hunters, lumberjacks AND environmentalists for the first time in our state history. (We have some places here that have never experienced so much as a human footprint, because these places are surrounded by mountains and are inaccessible. The mountain barriers are high enough that you can't even get over them in a plane or 'chopper, so you can only see these places from a jet airliner -- and they are fantastic: Wild animals, wildflowers, amazing trees, lakes, waterfalls, etc. Total paradise and totally protected by the mountains). What totally blew us away was the Governor's 'spin' on the whole thing. He can understand why the environmentalists want to protect this pristine wilderness, but he CANNOT understand why the rest would. According to him, if there are not even any dirt roads into these places why should hunters, lumberjacks, etc. care if the developers blow holes in the mountains and put in paved roads? After all, according to the Gov, lumbarjacks can't cut down the trees and hunters can't get in there to hunt the animals, so why should they care. Interestingly enough, our farmers, hunters, etc. are all saying, "Well. Duh." My personal concern is that if the Governor gets his way, someday "The Frank Church Wilderness of No Return", may have to be renamed "The Frank Church Memorial Subdivision."
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote