Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Sephiroth Kali

A question about Siouxsie

I'm looking at there history, and trying to figure out when their sound really entered into the gothic genre. Truthfully, I'm not familiar with any of the older gothic bands, and unfortunately gothic bands have a tendency to move from genre to genre. So if no one can pinpoint a timeframe, then a list of songs that are distinctly "Siouxsie gothic" would be helpful.
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
vx cheerleader 69

There are no "older gothic bands". Siouxsie started music before there was anything like "goth rock". And all of her records until the late 90's can be thought as goth, as she really was one of the first... The first two albums are a bit punkier, but a song like Hong Kong Garden is a classic at goth/batcave parties.
If you want the "gothiest" part of her discography, tho, well, try Kaleidoscope, Juju or A Kiss In The Dreamhouse.
vx cheerleader 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
Sephiroth Kali

Thanks for the reply. Just listening to a few songs, songs from Kaleidoscope have more of the sound I can associate with "goth", compared to the song HKG. I think I am quite fond of "Desert Kisses". I'm liking Juju as well so far.
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gothic_rock_bands

Most of those are for real gothic rock.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Raptor

What vx said. Except I don't think I've ever heard Hong Kong Garden at a goth night, they usually play songs from Juju.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
What vx said. Except I don't think I've ever heard Hong Kong Garden at a goth night, they usually play songs from Juju.
In France it's a classic, and last week I heard it spinned in Japan by the singer of japanese batcave band 13th Moon who was the DJ for the night. But classicly, yes, most DJs would rather spin Spellbound, Christine or Happy House...
vx cheerleader 69 is offline   Reply With Quote