Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Ahsatan

Question Diy=help!!!

Soooo there's a concert my boyfriend wants to go to, I don't care much for the bands but it's cheap and we do need to get out more...
Well anywho, I want to make a vynyl jummper, but I ran into 2 problems
1;I live in florida and wouldnt vynyl get hot?
and
2;I can't find a pattern ANYWHERE
So can anyone help me?

P.s. Thankfully it's going to be in December so maybe I wont get too hot?
THe more help the better ^___^
Ahsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Solumina

Wearing vinyl to a concert can get rather hot, though plenty of people do it. I'm not quite sure why you are having a problem finding a pattern, jumpers really aren't that uncommon, you should be able to find one at any fabric store.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
KontanKarite

You know, what might help, for future reference is studying geometry and space relations in art.

The best thing that ever helped me was a good understanding of form. That's how I managed to make the pattern work and look good for my GF on her skirt. She wanted a particular shape.

You are in luck though. Vinyl isn't that hard to work with so long as you stick to using basting needles and paying attention to your stitching.

As for patterns, I can't help you. Best bet is to draw out the shape you're looking for and take your measurements.

McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity. Look these up on-line for some patterns you can order. They're good.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Ahsatan

Well that's my problem with the patterns, I couldn't find any at our Wal-Mart, and it's a 2 hour drive any where else, but yes thank you I guess making my own pattern wouldnt be that hard.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
honeythorn

Get a jumper from a thrift store or somewhere cheap so you don't mind taking it apart. Make sure it fits you tightly/ very well without actually being too small for you ( I assume you want the vinyl tight and not baggy? Baggy vinyl is AWFUL ).

Pick the seams apart VERY carefully, and lay out the pieces. Then cut your vinyl to the exact same size and shape of the jumper ( lay the jumper on top of the vinyl and trace around it carefully perhaps ) , mark out where all the seams, hems and any other structural details are on the jumper and then mark them in the same places on the vinyl .

Sew up the vinyl shirt ( inside out, then when done turn it the right way so the stitches are less obvious ) and if you have done it well enough you should hopefully have a vinyl jumper that fits you reasonably well.

That's what I would do anyway if I had to make such a thing .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Ahsatan

Oh Honeythorn, that's amazing! Thank you soooo much!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
Ahsatan

http://www.artificeclothing.com/em/s...ages/revo4.jpg

This is kinda what I want to do ^__^
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Toy Killer

I've always found making a personal fit model to be insanely useful.

For a cheap one, get an old baggy t-shirt and some sweat pants, four or five rolls of duct-tape and a bunch of newspapers and a friend. Start with a clothing stance (Arms out slighty off the side, legs shoulder langth apart, much like if you took a pair of cover-alls and hung them up) and have your friend wrap you up from top to bottom, covering you entirely, the first one should be generally even, just enough to cover everything up. The next two should be used to strengthen the cover, make sure to get joints and the stomach especially. If done properly, you should have trouble moving and about three quarters of a roll left. your friend should cut up the side of the cast about where a side seam would be, on both sides, so you can get out. Don't cut the inbetween the legs, or you'll have two half pieces! on one side you cut to get out, tape with a single piece and then wrap up with a good collection of duct tape. Keep it sturdy! tape off the hand, neck and foot stumps and stuff the half that is taped solid through the other hole you used to get out. once done, tape about a foot up from the sock up the remaining pant leg. stuff it, and tape up another foot and repeat until you're with the last foot of the seem. at that last foot, pack it in as tight as you can and seal it all off with the duct tape. at this point, I typically go another round of duct-tape just for good measure.

once you're done with that, you can invert some actual coveralls, put it on your dummy, and find out just how much extra space is, pin it off, take it off the dummy and sew it down. Then stitch in about an inch off of the pins and you should be ready to take it all apart again and use it as a frame for a personal fitting jumper.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote