Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
vindicatedxjin

Does anyone watch lost?

I know there are only 3 more episodes...but seriously, if there is some soul out there who still watches it...please tell me what your opinions are, cuz after last nights episode I'm still confused as ever.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Ben Lahnger

I've watched every episode since the beginning. I have been thoroughly hooked and have been impressed by how consistently the writers/creators/producers have been able to keep surprising me season after season.

I loved how the episode last night wrapped so much up in a pretty little bow, from explaining who "Adam and Eve" were from the first season episode (right down to explaining the black and white game pieces that were found with their skeletons) to showing how the smoke monster (currently inhabiting the likeness of Locke) came to be and what Jacob's origin is. Yes, the origin story still relied on a McGuffin-like device (the light in the cave) but at least it makes some sense of the whole thing.

We now know why Jacob was protecting the island, why he drew the castaways to the island as he had been observing them in real life from far away then appearing in their lives to guide them into ending up on that plane ... because they were all hand selected candidates to replace him. We now know why the smoke monster/Locke must not be allowed to leave the island.

We now know the remaining possible candidates to replace Jacob look to be down to Hurley and Jack, with Jack looking most likely due to his declaration that he thinks he SHOULD stay with the island. Knowing the producers of the show, that probably means that one of their last surprises will be to make Hurley the candidate and the unwitting hero of the piece in the end. (While all the other roles went through a rigorous auditioning process, the creators had only one actor in mind for the role of Hurley from the beginning.)

Then there's the matter of the parallel time-line they've introduced this season after the hydrogen bomb was detonated at the end of last season. I don't quite know what to make of it yet, but the fact that some of the characters in that time-line are seeming to develop an awareness of events in the island time-line, it makes me wonder if there isn't a chance everyone will end up alive after all in the end. Who knows?

We have two more episodes left ... next weeks and then the 2.5 hour (the producers recently announced they've added an extra half hour to the airtime to accommodate some additional footage) finale to air on Sunday, May 23. The episode will run from 9 p.m.-11:30 p.m EST. The overrun will push back local news, with the previously announced "Jimmy Kimmel Live: Aloha to Lost" post-finale special now airing at 12:05 a.m.

If you were expecting a simpler explanation, this isn't the right show for that. If you were looking for more, there are way too may forums and websites dedicated to that.

Wikipedia has a decent overview.

Lots of Lost discussion at TV.com.

And The Tail Section has consistently been one of the best fan sites throughout the shows run.

I really don't spend any time at those sites ... as I said, I've seen every episodes and while pondering them is fun, one hour a week for chunks of six years is enough time to invest in it for me. Although lately, after watching the current weeks episode I will tune into the #lost twitter feed to briefly "check the pulse" of the fans.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
vindicatedxjin

I too have watched lost since the beginning... I can't believe it's been this long!

But anywhoo... last nights episode kind of messed me up with the whole... adam and eve thing. Remember when they cut into the scene from when Jack and Kate found the two skelletons and Locke was like " we have our own adam and eve"? Well he said it in a way (that seemed to me) like he knew who they were already. Which kinda made me wonder if Locke had maybe found the light somewhere else on his own? Or perhaps he was being controlled by smokie since the first plane crash....Have we ever seen the smoke monster while Locke was around???

So confusing.

Also...I considered the possibility of Mother being the smoke monster AND protector at the time and when she took the boys...she gave her responsibilites to them seperately. The good to Jacob, the bad to MIB

In the end I'm glad it showed that both Jacob and MIB were human from the beginning, both essentially goodnatured but with different qualities...

My main questions though are... What does the time travel have anything to do with anything? Desmond/Whitmore shit? Lighthouse/Statue/Temple/? The Dharma Initiative?

Bring Kontan Back
Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
blindNsect

The Smoke dragged Locke into a hole once right?
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Ben Lahnger

Vin, you're going to have to go read some forum discussions on some of the Lost boards as I am not dissecting the show that much. But in regards to Locke momentarily seeming to perhaps recognize Adam and Eve in the flashback to the first season scene, I thought I saw something too ... so I rewound it and decided it wasn't so much an awareness as it was looking for meaning. Remember, Locke at that time was seeing all sorts of import due to the fact that his paralysis had been healed and was literally watching for signs from the island. But we now know his paralysis was healed because he was a candidate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindNsect View Post
The Smoke dragged Locke into a hole once right?
Yes but then it didn't touch him. If you remember the cave with the candidates names on it, all of the castaway's names were up there originally, but by the time we saw the cave some of the names had lines through them as they had been eliminated from contention. So we can't know when Locke was eliminated, but a reasonable guess would be after the Oceanic Six made it home, when Locke got killed by Ben. Since the smoke monster/MIB dragged Locke down there before that, he was forbidden (based on Jacks recent supposition and the rules explained by MIB/Jason's "Mother") from harming a candidate.

Also, I find the wording of your post above the wording of your current signature to be very ironic!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Also, I find the wording of your post above the wording of your current signature to be very ironic!
Hahahahahah!

Bring Kontan Back
Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
blindNsect

I haven't seen past episode two of Season 6 so I think I'm gonna stop reading this thread.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Ben Lahnger

Less than an hour until the final episode of LOST. Settling in for a 2.5 hour treat!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I lost interest/track years ago, and the whole magical timetraveling island thing hasnt made it any more interesting in my eyes.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
CptSternn

WORST ENDING EVER. They didn't answer any questions.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
Ben Lahnger

BEST ENDING EVER. Except, that's hyperbole and not really true, as the last episodes of M*A*S*H and Newhart tie for best series ending ever.

But I enjoyed it thoroughly. After watching every episode assiduously, it confirmed a couple of theories ( including - SPOILER IN BLACK TEXT - my postulation that Jack would initially be selected as guardian of the island but Hurley would ultimately actually end up in that role - YES, I predicted that!) and the wrap up of the alternate time-line worked out nicely. It was very nice to watch the Jimmy Kimmel Live "Aloha To Lost" special after the show, see Kimmel actually ask about my interpretation and have Matthew Sheppard (Jack) say, "That sound's good to me."

It probably helped that before the finale I saw the two-part interview that Diane Sawyer conducted with the producers of Lost about the finale and concluding the series. In it they acknowledged that while they feel like they've answered all the major questions, they also started some narrative threads were dropped in that they felt they didn't serve the main story. That makes sense in explaining things like "What happened with Walt?" (Also, since time on the show didn't reflect real-time, they really couldn't bring Walt back to the show after a certain point because the actor had grown so tall in real life that it wouldn't have matched.)

But in watching the twitterverse discussion of #lost I saw about half were happy and about half were saying, "WTF?" And there's no in-between ... either people are very satisfied and feel like their questions were answered or they are asking, "How come I still don't know what was going on?"

(SPOILER SUMMARY IN BLACK TEXT) Kimmel summed it up nicely though. The show started with Jack opening his eyes. It ended with Jack closing his eyes. The whole thing was really his story. And the moment in the alternate time-line when the Oceanic 816 plane shook in this last season ... the point where it should have broken up and crashed on the island like it did in the first season ... and the plane got through the turbulence and stopped shaking ... Rose turned to Jack and said, "You can let go now." And that was the crux of the thing. Because in that millisecond Jack experienced everything that happened on the island and passed his "test" ... he just needed some time to accept that he had passed, and to let go.

And yes, even though I like that interpretation, I do recognize that it pisses some people off. But everyone had to know that the ending was going to be some meta-physical, quasi-religious conclusion ... it was inevitable.

I think the bar was set so high that it was certain that some people were going to be unhappy with it no matter how they ended it.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
CptSternn

There were so many unanswered questions, and 'mysteries' they had instroduced in earlier seasons that they never got back to and had no connection to the story in the end.

Like what was up with the black light drawing they showed us years ago on the back of the blast door? What were those blast doors for? What was up with 'quarantine' being written on the hatch? Why did Jacob ask 'the others' to kidnap Walt? Who built the lighthouse? Hoe did Jacob learn to use said lighthouse?

The list goes on. They had more things that they had written in over the seasons that they just said 'oh well, that is going no where' or else they wrote themselves into a corner and then just left it in hopes we would forget it. Poor writing is what it is. When you have so many sub-plots which eventually you just let go because you have no clue yourself how to tie them into the plot, then you are a bad writer.

Check this out here:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Unanswered_questions

Many more questions and plot lines they just wrote and then never came back to.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
Ben Lahnger

The producers of Lost indicated in an interview with Diane Sawyer that there were some story threads that were introduced throughout the 6 years that were dropped for various reasons, but mostly because they did not serve the overall story well. So that may explain some of your unanswered questions.

And some of those unanswered questions were actually answered. Here's an example:

Why did Jacob ask 'the others' to kidnap Walt?

Over the course of this last season Benjamin Linus and Richard have learned that the person they were serving and doing all those horrible things for was not actually Jacob, but the shape-shifting Man in Black pretending to be Jacob. It explains why the "others" were so hostile to the castaways, because the castaways were candidates to replace Jacob. And since the Man in Black/smoke monster could not kill or harm the candidates directly because of the rules imposed by his "mother", he posed as Jacob to convince the others to do so.

So that explains why "Jacob" had the "others" doing bad things; but why kidnap Walt?

In the Diane Sawyer interview, the producers were asked specifically about the Walt storyline. They did not address that thread specifically but did give the answer I mentioned above. Here's what I've figured out re: Walt. Originally it looked like Walt had some interesting psychic powers and the producers/writers had a storyline they intended to follow with him. So he had some import and the Man in Black knew that. But the rescue/trade Michael engineered and the subsequent escape from the island were allowed because it served the Man in Black's purposes to have them off the island - then Walt was no threat to him. Then time passes, and as the producers ponder the possibility of bringing Walt back to the island, they learn the actor that was playing his role had grown 2.5 feet taller ... and they couldn't use him because it would totally ruin the illusion that only days were passing by with each season that we watched.

So the Walt thread became one of those storylines they decided to drop.

How about Who built the lighthouse? Hoe did Jacob learn to use said lighthouse?

I would imagine Jacob built the lighthouse, as both he and the Man in Black seemed to share specialized knowledge after they were annointed by their "mother". So that's how he knew how to use it. But in actuality, we can call the lighthouse "deus ex machina" if you like. It wasn't the first (or last) time the writers created some unexplained device (remember the wheel in the cave that instantly relocated the island somewhere else in the world) to make something mysterious happen.

And finally, if you read the black text above where I laid out my theory, that sets the basis for an explanation of what happened on the island that doesn't require everything to be answered and all events to logically follow in progression to their natural conclusion ... because it wasn't reality. But that's just my (and a few thousand other people's) interpretation.

The reality is that this show was so ambitious in the scope of things it laid out to accomplish, that some false steps and missed beats along the way were unavoidable. I'm okay with that. Some people won't be.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
Ben Lahnger

Oh, and the last episode of LOST UNTANGLED is hilarious, especially the musical number at the end!

And The Final Season of LOST as Seen by Someone Who Has Never Seen Lost is worth a look too.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
CptSternn

That still doesn't answer the question - pointing out the large wheel device and adding it was never addressed either just adds more questions.

'Assuming' they got some inside info when they were anointed is a stretch, considering they never go into what he was anointed with, why, or any of the mythos behind the storyline.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
Ben Lahnger

Read my second to last paragraph again.

Also, I recognize you just might not be happy unless you have all the answers, which isn't going to happen. That's not the result of bad or lazy writing ... that's the result of ambition. No show of this kind of imaginative scope and length can get away without having some problems.

And unlike producing a movie or publishing a book parts of the whole are released at different times ... which means the types of editing that naturally occur throughout the creation process in other art forms cannot be done in making a 6 year television show.

One of my favorite television shows of all time is the original run of The Prisoner, which is a model for dropped story-lines, missing explanations and ambiguous endings. And it was only one season and 17 episodes long. Not many people would have the nerve to say that was due to bad writing, and they would be viewed as being wrong by the vast majority of knowledgeable television viewers.

But if you want your shows to have no dropped story-lines, no ambiguity and an answer to all questions, stick with dramas like The Sopranos ... er, oops! Well, maybe you should stick with simple police procedurals like Law & Order ... oh, crap!

Maybe you just shouldn't watch TV?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
morgy

I used to watch it fanaticaly, I loved it... but that love faded away at the mids of season 5 until the end. I guess the ones that liked that spiritual/religious if you may turn, lost ended up being a very good show.

For me no. I'm more a (wo)man of science and I have stopped being interested in any sorts of faith quests.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
My main questions though are... What does the time travel have anything to do with anything? Desmond/Whitmore shit? Lighthouse/Statue/Temple/? The Dharma Initiative?
the above are exactly the main reason why I lost interest I guess.
morgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
vindicatedxjin

I loved the ending... I also enjoyed the jimmy kimmel live. I had no idea Marilyn Manson was a fan lol.

Although there were alot of questions unanswered. What would lost be, if there wasn't any mystery?

Bring Kontan Back