Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: What do you think of Tartan?
Love it, love it, love it.... completely inspirational *claps* 12 37.50%
BLEURGH, TARTAN! Who the hell decided tartan belonged in Goth fashion? 7 21.88%
Can't say I hate it...can't say I love it....but I'm a person that loves their taffy...mmmm 7 21.88%
Tartan? wasn't he that jungleman in that movie? 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
Demonista_Ravenesque

Tartan Ramblings

Yeah, Um, I was wondering what everyone thinks of tartan prints....Personally, I like them and they look rather fetching, but some people think that it should only stay in the world of Punk Rock...um, post ur opinions, sil vous plait?

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
MrMaelstrom

I'l go even further and say that tartan only belongs in clothes worn by people of Scottish descent WHO CAN IDENTIFY THEIR CLAN AND ONLY WEAR THEIR CLANS' TARTAN PATTERN.

Fucking wankers. Just wear a skirt, damn it. Every single celtic nation (Ireland, Scotchland, Galicia [Northwest Spain], Bretagne (Northwest France) and Miranda do Douro (Northern Portugal) had its men in something akin to a kilt. Oh, yeah, and all have the bagpipes as one of their folklore instruments.

So why limit yourself to something scottish? Do some research and find your roots and their specific attires, or just buy a fucking skirt already!

There, I hope that was prejudiced enough for you.
MrMaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
The Crazy Irishman

I agree with Mael, I know what at least one of my family's tartan looks like (though apparantly there are tartans for different occasions, which just plain confuses me) though that's through my mum's side (I'm also a quarter scottish), so I'd like to find out what the Irish cla colours were.

That and I'd bet if someone saw you wearing their clan colours, just because you thought it looked cool, I'd imagine them being a bit pissed off.
The Crazy Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
Demonista_Ravenesque

Ok...look, the whole aim of this was to get MEAN COMMENTS, I just wanted some mean comments so I can show my friends *who happen to have terrible taste in clothes* that tartan is somewhat annoying, Yes I did say it looks fetching, because In Australia...you rarely see someone wearing it, but I shall continue...in an attempt to prove to them that tartan is more than a fashion statement, so here I sat in this random computer room of mine thinking " If I was a 13 year old wannabe browned haired fashionista who thinks that goth is just a trend, what would I ask the gothic community?" so boom! there you go, I started this stupid thread and created a stupid poll just to prove to the little frankfurt that GOTH is NOT A FUCKING TREND....Alas, I have wasted 5 minutes of my life

Pine cone Frank : You can say that again

Shut up you damn gymnosperm...ok, I'd be thankful if you kept the anti tartan comments coming

Old 09-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #5
Spazik

Perhaps if you could post pictures, or explain what they are, I could offer my opinion. Until then, all I have to offer is a mild *shrug*

*Edit:

*Re reads thread* Oh, right. Goth guys in kilts. No. No, no, no.
Spazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:11 AM   #6
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonista_Ravenesque
Ok...look, the whole aim of this was to get MEAN COMMENTS, I just wanted some mean comments so I can show my friends *who happen to have terrible taste in clothes* that tartan is somewhat annoying, Yes I did say it looks fetching, because In Australia...you rarely see someone wearing it, but I shall continue...in an attempt to prove to them that tartan is more than a fashion statement, so here I sat in this random computer room of mine thinking " If I was a 13 year old wannabe browned haired fashionista who thinks that goth is just a trend, what would I ask the gothic community?" so boom! there you go, I started this stupid thread and created a stupid poll just to prove to the little frankfurt that GOTH is NOT A FUCKING TREND....Alas, I have wasted 5 minutes of my life

Pine cone Frank : You can say that again

Shut up you damn gymnosperm...ok, I'd be thankful if you kept the anti tartan comments coming
You keep creating threads like this (ones where you say something stupid, get flamed, and then get REALLY ANGRY insisting that you did it all on purpose to get flamed), but, if you haven't noticed, nobody's saying "OHH! Good joke!" or ANYTHING of the like. Maybe you should take the hint and realize that you're ONLY giving us reasons to hate you, and you're wasting threads, too. If you think this is how you're going to get "popular" here.. you're sadly mistaken. Say something intelligent.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:38 AM   #7
MrMaelstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonista_Ravenesque
Alas, I have wasted 5 minutes of my life

That's not the point, really.

It's the 5 minutes of our lives that you wasted that you should be sorry for.
MrMaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Shemjazza

I Agree with the scottish thing (being 3/4 Scottish myself) but Tartan Goth? i thought that was a Punk thing? of maybe we have strange punks here in New zealand... i don't know.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
Jemstone123

i agree with shem being a wee bit scottish myself i like tartan but it's more of a punk thing than goth ... it shouldn't be even in the gothic fashion??
Jemstone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
winged_dreams

Speaking of Tartan, a person I used to work with got a kilt and he's (hopefully) coming to visit me at work and wear it. XD Awesomeness.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
Jane13

There's a guy in out twon that wears a kilt, but he's definitley not goth... I think he's one of the rainbow people that live in the woods around here. Seriously, there are so many groups of hippies in the woods out here you can actually tell a kid a creepy story and send them into the woods, and have them come back screaming because someone was there ^.^ Anywho, sorry for getting off topic...
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
Shemjazza

Utilikilts!
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #13
Kireo-Umoshiae

For me, it's not so much about the kilts or whatever. I just like plaid skirts. Also, I don't think you should think of it as disrespecting someone's culture, but showing respect or maybe even compassion. If that makes any sense at all. Plus, more than likely, you're gonna have friends of that heritage. It could be a way of saying, "Hey, I respect and love you and your culture." Maybe it's not as easy as that but . . . .

Also, forget about where it belongs (punk or goth); just where what you like. Like I know I look like a total hippie sometimes, but it doesn't make me any less me nonetheless goth.
Kireo-Umoshiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #14
rockandrose

I went through a ridiculous phrase of mini skirts between the ages of 16 and 18. I even wore tartan skirts. I was pretty outrageous with my fashion sense back then. I wear what I want to wear. Although I got too much attention (sometimes the 'wrong' attention) from the clothes I wore a few years ago, I didn't give fuck what others think. Those who judge me based on what I wear are morons.

Eventually, I got sick of mini skirts including tartan skirts and stop wearing them completely.

I don't think when I wore tartan skirts its disrepectful to anyone as my tartan skirts aren't even of traditional style.

Since its summer now and I haven't worn a skirt in a very long time, maybe I should start wearing one again.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #15
Demonista_Ravenesque

Wow....when the hell did I make this thread? O_O

Old 11-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #16
rockandrose

You must of been drunk with your special demon semon when you created this thread?!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:43 PM   #17
rockandrose

or 9th sept (australian date!)
Old 11-17-2005, 02:35 AM   #18
thetiesonyourcorset

i have a black/white/grey tartan skirt! i used to own 2 tartan skirts when i was little,i hated one at the time i probably loved it though but one of them i love!

i'd love more tartan stuff,i love it! there is a tartan dress i want,it's gothic and punk at the same time,CLASSIC!! i'd also love a denim skirt with a wee bit of tartan on it if there was such a thing,but i dunno if there is!
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
angleangel_doom

My family has it's own tartan from the NW part of Ireland, where my grandparents and some of my cousins still live. Long story.
and the sash, and the step dancing, oh the step dancing!!
MAKE THE CLICKING STOP, PAPA!!!
ARRRGH!
*passes out*
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #20
thetiesonyourcorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by angleangel_doom
My family has it's own tartan from the NW part of Ireland, where my grandparents and some of my cousins still live. Long story.
and the sash, and the step dancing, oh the step dancing!!
MAKE THE CLICKING STOP, PAPA!!!
ARRRGH!
*passes out*
do you not mean tap dancing? i never learned how to do that properly but i can do it!!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #21
thetiesonyourcorset

yeah... i love doing that...not that i can do that properly either,lol
Old 11-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #22
Rosie

Quote:
I'l go even further and say that tartan only belongs in clothes worn by people of Scottish descent WHO CAN IDENTIFY THEIR CLAN AND ONLY WEAR THEIR CLANS' TARTAN PATTERN.
If you've ever eaten a Pizza, I can safely say you're a hypocrite.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #23
The Crazy Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Um, riverdancing?

That's more irish-y.
My sister learnt that for a while, I still claim it's a load of bollocks, like the welsh language (I mean come on, go to Wales and tell me it doesn't look like they're just making the lot up )

And forgive my ignorance but how is eating pizza being a hypocrite?
The Crazy Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #24
thetiesonyourcorset

"I'l go even further and say that tartan only belongs in clothes worn by people of Scottish descent WHO CAN IDENTIFY THEIR CLAN AND ONLY WEAR THEIR CLANS' TARTAN PATTERN." now imagine you were talking about pizzas!! it's being hypocritical because Pizza is Italian yet you eat it (people that aren't from italy)!!
Old 11-24-2005, 03:49 PM   #25
rockandrose

Did you know that pasta was originated in China?