Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
vindicatedxjin

Final Fantasy XIII

So I haven't bought it yet, due the fact that I am beyond poor right now. But I'm saving for it...and will get it asap. Has anyone started playing it yet?

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Saya

You haven't played it yet but you want to cosplay as her?

I haven't played it yet as I don't have a PS3....YET, I was actually waiting for this game to come out before I bought one, so hopefully sometime this summer I'll get it. I hear complaints about it but it seems to me a lot of the complaints come from the fact that its completely linear, which I won't mind. I like that they're changing the formula each game, you know? I can't play the older ones anymore because I'm so sick of turn based gameplay.

Also glad that they have a female main character again, although for XII it might as well have been Ashe who was the main character.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
vindicatedxjin

Yes I do, I've been in love ever since I saw the first picture released of her...I knew I had to cosplay as her.

I mostly heard a bunch of complaints about not being able to have a set character to choose. But I don't care about that at all...

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
the-nihilist

Ah, so they just decided to go ahead and make the protagonist a female instead of making it an excessively effeminate male.

That is a female, right?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
vindicatedxjin

Nihilist, I believe there are four characters that you play as...

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Tam Li Hua

Saya: People cosplay as video game characters all the time without finishing or even starting the games. It's allowed. ;-] Besides, Lightening is ten ways of awesome! [Though I am more of a Fang fan myself.]

Vin: It's an absolutely beautiful game! My hubby's about 30-40 hours into it, I think; he likes it for the most parts, but it's still not his fav FF; the linear thing is starting to get to him, I think.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
Ah, so they just decided to go ahead and make the protagonist a female instead of making it an excessively effeminate male.

That is a female, right?
Hah hah! Yes, Lightening is a female. XD In this FF, the men actually look like MEN, except for the 10-year-old boy.

There's not just one single protagonist; there are at least five main characters in the game, all of which you end up playing in one way or another.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
Saya: People cosplay as video game characters all the time without finishing or even starting the games. It's allowed. ;-] Besides, Lightening is ten ways of awesome! [Though I am more of a Fang fan myself.]
Its allowed and I don't particularly mind it, but it just kinda surprises me, there's always the chance that you'll play the game and fucking hate it, and then realized that you spent all this money on a costume of a character you'd crucify if you got a chance. Happened to a friend who went as Tidus.

You know, I still haven't even finished XII, should finish that first.

Oh, and effeminate men FTW!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
You know, I still haven't even finished XII, should finish that first.
Loved XII

Quote:
Oh, and effeminate men FTW!
Dittoooooooooooooo!

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Tam Li Hua

I take it back: I have a hard time deciding between Fang and Sazh. They're both cool characters. [My hubby plays the games, and I generally watch him play them. lol]:

Sazh:

Fang:
Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
Tam Li Hua

Saya: Hmm, that's true. That poor guy! I hope he got some compliments on his outfit at least!

Heh heh. Effeminante men are rather hot sometimes. XD Still, sometimes I like my guys to look like guys. XD XD XD
Old 04-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Loved XII

Dittoooooooooooooo!
I really like XII, I should wait til I'm done to say it but its possibly my favourite, or at least tied with IX, I love that its really plot driven and the battle system is the best, but its so long, I keep thinking "well I'll just finish this DS game then go back to it," or "this game is shorter, I'll play this and then go back to it", its the longest I ever procrastinated in a game.

And Tam, I like guys who look like guys too (currently my favourite video game male on apperances is Agent Lang from Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigations) but gender bending is just fun.

Except for Kuja, I'm working on the theory that he was never finished when he was being made so he doesn't have any genitalia and thats why his codpiece is so, uh, flat.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I really like XII, I should wait til I'm done to say it but its possibly my favourite, or at least tied with IX, I love that its really plot driven and the battle system is the best, but its so long, I keep thinking "well I'll just finish this DS game then go back to it," or "this game is shorter, I'll play this and then go back to it", its the longest I ever procrastinated in a game.

And Tam, I like guys who look like guys too (currently my favourite video game male on apperances is Agent Lang from Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigations) but gender bending is just fun.

Except for Kuja, I'm working on the theory that he was never finished when he was being made so he doesn't have any genitalia and thats why his codpiece is so, uh, flat.
Yah it took me a year to finish it...then I got the Final Fantasy XII revenant wings for DS....and I just can't manage to stick with it to finish...

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
Cruven

I have to say, not my favorite FF, but great anyway. Lightning, Sazh, and Fang are made of awesome.
Cruven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
kosK1D

FF is always a good subject, loved the series since 7.
kosK1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #16
vindicatedxjin

Got it and i'm five chapters into it... I LOVE IT. It took me a while to get into the whole fighting style...( I got really used to hands on combat), and yes it is linear, But it's so beautiful and I love the characters. (although vanille can get a little to bouncy at times).

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-12-2010, 05:12 AM   #17
Raptor

My housemate has this game and it's awful.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #18
vindicatedxjin

It's awful to people who want to actually go up to the bad guy and chop him up manually. But the fighting style on this game is all strategy based. It's all about the storyline...either you hate it or you love it. I can understand why so many people don't like it, but if you love cg art like me, you can appreciate the beauty.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #19
CptSternn

I loved ever FF game, until now. It is no longer sandbox style where you can move around and visit areas - its a stright line you walk during the whole game - little or no deviation, no random monster encounters, and you only use ONE button on the control pad (A).

I have one of those mad cat controllers you can program to auto fire - if you turn it on using just the A button you can literally watch the game play itself for hours.

The only time when you don't use A is when your fighting those eidolins, which are damn near impossible to beat. It goes from dead easy to impossible every few hours.

They should have not messed with the great game play they had already established. Great cut scenes don't make up for shite game play.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
vindicatedxjin

Meh... I still like it, and the Eidolins aren't that hard to beat, if you constantly switch your paradigm when needed.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
It's awful to people who want to actually go up to the bad guy and chop him up manually. But the fighting style on this game is all strategy based. It's all about the storyline...either you hate it or you love it. I can understand why so many people don't like it, but if you love cg art like me, you can appreciate the beauty.
Yeah I hate the combat and it's true I'd probably hate any game that used it, but I don't like anything in this game. The graphics don't make up for it. I pretty much agree with everything Yahtzee says about it.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #22
PixelAvenger

Anyone have the code for the exclusive item in FFXIV from the first run of the game?

I bought a copy today but it turned out not to be a first print (I knew it was a long-shot) and only had a regular product registration card.

If it's the right card it should look something like the one on this page: http://member.square-enix.com/na/fea...13/serialcode/ and mention an exclusive item or something.

Been trying to find someone who has it but doesn't care about XIV.
PixelAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #23
vindicatedxjin

I had it, but I already used it... SOWWY! ^_^

Bring Kontan Back

Last edited by vindicatedxjin; 04-15-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: By the way how can you think that anyone willing to spend the money on the game isn't gonna care about the freebie?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #24
Mr E Nigma

My only real complaint is the lack of being able to move around in a city. Sort of like Sternn's comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosK1D View Post
FF is always a good subject, loved the series since 7.
Play 6, best FF in existence hands down. And as a personal opinion I find 7 to be quite shit. All around. Sure it might've been good as the first one to be in 3D, but I bet anyone to go back and replay it and compare it to every other FF game and still try to say it's their favorite or even in the top 5 of the best FF games.

Though, that might be because I hadn't played 7 until after 10 came out and from what everyone tells me, it's hard to like it after having played the ones that came out after it. Quoting, "You can't really go back to 7, It was great for it's time but doesn't hold up throughout the series like 6, 9, and 10 can."

Then again though, I never played it up until the past year so.. maybe it just doesn't seem so great compared to the others. Tactics is also really damn good.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #25
Saya

Yeah I never liked 7 much either, it hasn't aged well. I played it after I played 8, which I suppose isn't the greatest either, but I just never understood the hype.