Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: whats the best kind of materal for clothing?
lace 19 27.94%
velvet 26 38.24%
leather 12 17.65%
vinyl 2 2.94%
corduroy 2 2.94%
jean 7 10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2004, 09:20 AM   #26
OnixxFilth

Again, I think it depends on what sort of lace it is. Some are more scratchy than others.
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:28 PM   #27
HerGhostInTheFog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Okay, so if leather=murder do we just throw it away after we eat the cow?What a waste!

Jerry Seinfeldo cows run up to the barn when it rains and pound on the door? "Let us in we're wearing leather!"
ya, i know it's the scraps, so it's not a waste
i was just in a bad mood that day.
but some people get animals killed just to wear them
i have heard of it.
im not saying only leather
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:59 AM   #28
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGhostInTheFog
Quote:
Okay, so if leather=murder do we just throw it away after we eat the cow?What a waste!

Jerry Seinfeldo cows run up to the barn when it rains and pound on the door? "Let us in we're wearing leather!"
ya, i know it's the scraps, so it's not a waste
i was just in a bad mood that day.
but some people get animals killed just to wear them
i have heard of it.
im not saying only leather
I think leather's okay cuz we eat the cows.We don't eat silver foxes or minks or anything else.So unless people are going to start eating them we shouldn't be skinnin' em.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:55 PM   #29
Gypsy2222

~Chuckle~

I eat cow, sheep, shark, alligator and whatever other type of animal I can get my hands on (I have eaten some rather strange foreign delicacies)...
(It tastes good)

I wear cow and sheep among other things...
(It feels good)

I have some bone jewlery as well...
(It looks good)

I am unreasonably proud of it...
(I don't know why)

What do I hunt?

People occaisionally... lol... Though I think people would begin to wonder about what's left of my sanity if I were to go around wearing an Iraqi insurgent as a hat.

Laughingly,
~The Gypsy~
Old 10-28-2004, 08:45 PM   #30
akhira

Heheh..WOuldn't that be rather uncomfortable Gypsy?

Lacking a real costume for Halloween, I've a bought a new black T-shirt with Spider-man on it, and a pir of snugly fitting stone-qwashed blac jeans, which I'm going to wear with my trusty pair of thick-soled black sneakers.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:53 PM   #31
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy2222
~Chuckle~

I eat cow, sheep, shark, alligator and whatever other type of animal I can get my hands on (I have eaten some rather strange foreign delicacies)...
(It tastes good)

I wear cow and sheep among other things...
(It feels good)

I have some bone jewlery as well...
(It looks good)

I am unreasonably proud of it...
(I don't know why)

What do I hunt?

People occaisionally... lol... Though I think people would begin to wonder about what's left of my sanity if I were to go around wearing an Iraqi insurgent as a hat.

Laughingly,
~The Gypsy~
It might make a good Hallowe'en costume,though you'd risk being shot at soooo.........probably not a good idea.

I haven't yet had sheep or alligator and I have refused frog quite a few times.I think one of my uncles ate monkey brains when he was in the service.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:01 PM   #32
HerGhostInTheFog

i found somthing outthat i should've know but didnt bother to look up cause i didnt wear hardly eny animal products...

SOME ANIMALS ARE RAISED SEPARETLY FOR THE FUR/SKIN. im sure most people know this ,but it shows i am right
leather can equal murder
and it makes sense, because while people are brutally killing the animals, they probably dont want to try to save the outside
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:09 PM   #33
AdorablyDead1

Lace and velvet=yummy.

Herghost-- That doesn't make sense at all. Why don't people just use the same animal for meat and fur? It's a waste of a life, not to mention the animal's resources.
AdorablyDead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:16 PM   #34
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin
I actually LIKE corduroy! Its cozy and makes for nice pants. For anything else though, I rather think not.
I agree. I bought a pair of black corduroy pants for the winter, and I love them.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:36 PM   #35
SweetDarkThea

Oh, I adore velvet and lace! Lace for the summer and velvet for the winter mostly... Satin-back crepe hangs nice and looks and feels heavenly.
SweetDarkThea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #36
drgnlvr

I have a question about cattle, sheep, and pigs.

We use pretty much the entire animal out of those listed. So it's not really a waste.

But say we -do- stop using their skins, and stop eating meat.

What do you think is going to happen to those animals? They've been bred for the products they can give us for thousands of years. Any natural instincts for survival are gone. They cannot take care of themselves. So if we stop killing them, and they keep breeding, we're going to end up with a whole 'nother problem on our hands. Cattle are actually responsible for a sizable percentage of the greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere.

IOW, there are alot of farting cows out there.

And if we stop killing them for their skins and their meats, we're going to have even more farting cows! And greenhouse gasses are responsible for global warming, which will eventually force us into a new ice-age, and then where will we be? Because it'll be too cold to grow cotton, and too cold to drill for those petroleum products used in synthetics. And it'll be too cold to grow any plants for food. As for those cows we saved? They were too dumb to get out of the cold, and there are no grains to feed them, so they're all dead, too.

So I say throw a steak on the grill, and save the earth!

:P

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #37
SweetDarkThea

*hugs* I love you. ^_^ (Is it Draggy people call you fot short?)
SweetDarkThea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #38
drgnlvr

Draggy, drgn, Hey You! I'll answer to -almost- anything. :wink:

Xng tagged me with Draggy, here. Another friend tagged me with drgn-bob (Think "Bob" from "Fight Club")

When I was in middle school (Junior high back in the days of the dinosuars), half my friends called me Julie (I have yet to figure out how that happened, since my name is Lorrie), in High School, I was tagged "Jonnie", because three of us hung out together, with the same first name, and that was corruption of my middle name saved on confusion. But most know me as Lorrie.

I think I'm suffering an identity crisis! :shock:
Old 03-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #39
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy2222
~Chuckle~

(It tastes good)
My dad lived in Turkey for two years. He'll eat pretty much anything, but he said said he perticularly liked sheep brains. He says they have the consistancy of scrambled eggs. D, I too have an identity crisis brewing. Being given the name "Jane" I have been at times been called Janie, Jane Jane, JJ, Insane Jane, Campaigne Jane, and Cocaine Jane (I have no clue how that happened). Now most people call me "Opie" (my friend gave me that name). Now I also get called Dopie, Mopie, and my theatre teacher wistled the Andy Griffith Show theme when he passed me in the hall. Oh, and I've also been called "Silent Bob". The friend that named me "Opie" went by "Jay" for a while.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #40
Pathogen.

Re: Clothing Material.

Silk.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #41
Corpus_Draconis

I like velvet because it's soft and the highlights are where the light DOESN"T shine. I like satin for part of the same reason, except it has multiple lines of hightlight and reminds me of water. I like silk because... well... damn it's just to nice. I like fleece because it's soft, warm and fuzzy. I like semi-transparent materials because they layer well. I like lace because it's frilly and unsimple. I like denim because it's casual.
I don't really care what material it is, as long as it works with the clothes. And as long as it's not.....

CORDUROY!!!! I hate corduroy because when I was four my mom used to think I looked so cute in this pale pink, one-piece, balloon-like corduroy suit that was gathered around the ankles and wrists. I swear I looked like some weird hot air balloon or balloon at a fair or something. It was HHHHORRIBLE!!!! ABSOLUTELY HHHHORRIBLE!!!! I will never wear corduroy again! I hate it!!

I don't wear leather, but that's partly because I can't aford it (a leather trenchcoat would be kinda cool). My grandma gave me a little leather purse-backpack and that's really cute so I use it. And I don't like fur. I don't even like fake fur that much, because unless it's done just right, it looks terrible.

My name is Victoria (and I hate it because everything in the whole damn British Commonwealth has the same name as I do), and my only nickname is Vicky. I started calling myself that when I was five and on the verge of TEARS because people kept calling me "Queen Victoria" or, whenever the teacher said something about the city Victoria in B.C., they'd point to me and say "In Victoria?" Why couldn't they have named me after some other queen, like Elizabeth? SHE was cool. And not as much is named after her. Queen Victoria was some grumpy old lady....

Heh. That turned into something of a rant, didn't it?
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #42
Rhapsody

I made a fabulous discovery for those of you into the DIY thing that are looking for the perfect material for anything fabric-intensive and drapey, like floor length circle skirts.

It's the clearance section of Bed Bath and Beyond. I picked up three flat king-size sheets (360 thread count) and sent them off to my seamstress.

I know own three very full 42" long skirts that are heaven against the skin and can be thrown right into the wash.

My total cost, including labor was $100.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #43
WolfMoon

Thanks for the advice Rhapsody!

I never would have thought about that. I'm currently trying to work up the nerve to make a broomstick skirt. The instructions say it's easy enough to make in an afternoon.

I don't know why I always fear doing something new, no matter how small a project it is.

:?
Old 08-24-2005, 01:25 PM   #44
NyQuil of Doom

For practicality I tend to go with denim, cotton, etc., although I love velvet with lace or a sheer drapey fabric. I also adore silk. Corduroy is OK but only for pants, and only a really narrow wale, otherwise I won't wear it.

I'll combine things quite often-- black jeans with a velvet top, a velvet dress with fishnets (or my new striped tights, joyyyy!), something sheer and drapey over something sleeveless.

I do like my leather pants and jacket but the pants aren't too practical for everyday wear. Leather's good for boots, though. I love my leather boots.

And of course, my jewelry (especially all my rings and earrings) is essential to my wardrobe.

I like to make my own clothes sometimes... got a particularly gorgeous pattern recently (if anyone's morbidly curious it's Vogue pattern #1290) that I'm going to make up in a black velvet as soon as I can get the right material and access the sewing machine. I've made myself a gorgeous black velvet hooded cape, as well as some more practical stuff.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:58 PM   #45
Sarkphagos

I am shocked so many people have aversion to corduroy. All of my black 'jeans' are of it and the ones I've tried of actually 'jean' material have not kept thier colour. Corduroy fades very little with time (I mean it loses its nape and fades after years) and is washable and sturdy, unlike velvet and decent velveet imatations. If you dislike the ribs, buy uncut corduroy (which is what I actually prefer). The only drawback is it can be difficult to sew on, but so can be velvet and lace.
I of course love velvet and lace. Jeans too casual unless I am going for the 'gamer' look (Guns don't kill people. Kids who play video games kill people). Leather nice for others but not for me (except in shoes) and I hate vinyl. Too.... cheasy synthetic. But that's a personal opinion....
Sarkphagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #46
Star of Blight

I'm really upset that silk wasn't on the poll list. Well in any case it's by and far my favorite fabric for everything and anything. Shirts I like a thin brushed silk, the kind that just slips through your fingers like warm butter, the way it flows is just so delicate. For other things like pants I go with a heavy silk, it has a strong cotton durrability but again is soft and flows nicely, to the point that you sometimes dont' notice that your wearing it.

Now I do like tight and restrictive clothing when the situation calls for it, so leathers always the "fabric" of choice there. Good strength plus it also has a good deal of stretch and give, but maintains an elastic quality so that it just goes back to it's origional shape. Velvet I'm not all that fond of to be honest, and I think it as the bottom of my list. It's usually too thick for my tastes, and thinner velvets that don't double as armor plating are so flimsy a stiff breeze destroys them. Now don't get me wrong I take good care of my clothing, something I buy today will still be in fantastic condition four or more years from now. But part of that is because I buy things that look good but are also durable.
Star of Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #47
Spazik

Fishnet! (*obligitory*)
Spazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #48
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Quote:
I haven't yet had sheep or alligator and I have refused frog quite a few times.
Frog is. . .interresting. Kinda watery. Of course, I had boiled forgs legs, so that could contribute to the wateryness. But I wouldn't want a frog skin coat.

Unless it was one of those nifty poison arrow frogs (or several hundred. Those things are little). Pretty colors.

But then I wouldn't eat it.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #49
winged_dreams

I just wear cotton and some sort of khaki jean material. XD I have no need for fancy smancy clothes although I do hope to get a sewing machine and make some nice stuff. Clotheswise for me, comfort is key.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:22 PM   #50
Lelith_Hesperax

pvc (although I don`t wear it so much it looks so cool on some people)
Lelith_Hesperax is offline   Reply With Quote