Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Scientists creating an invisibility cloak!

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...ity-cloak.html

Quote:
A team of British and U.S. scientists has demonstrated the first working "invisibility cloak," although don’t expect it to appear in the Halloween costumes aisle just yet. The team, led by Professor Sir John Pendry of Imperial College in London, built the prototype at Duke University in North Carolina and reported its findings Thursday in Science Express, the advance online publication of the journal Science.

Little more than 12 centimetres across, the small device can redirect microwave beams so they flow around a "hidden" object inside with little distortion, making it appear almost as if nothing were there at all.

Like light, microwaves bounce off objects, making them visible and creating a "shadow," although it has to be detected with instruments.

The new work could be a baby step to an improved version that would make the Klingons and Harry Potter jealous by hiding people and objects from visible light.

Like 'water flowing around a smooth rock'

In the experiment, the scientists used microwaves to try to detect a copper cylinder "hidden" by the cloak, which is made from metamaterials — or engineered mixtures of metal and circuit board materials, which could include ceramic, Teflon or fibre composite materials.

"The waves' movement is similar to river water flowing around a smooth rock,” said cloak designer David Schurig, a research associate in Duke's electrical and computer engineering department.

The test came five months after the team published a theory that such a device was possible to design.

"By incorporating complex material properties, our cloak allows a concealed volume, plus the cloak, to appear to have properties similar to free space when viewed externally," said David Smith, a professor of electrical and computer engineering at Duke, in a release Thursday.

"The cloak reduces both an object's reflection and its shadow, either of which would enable its detection."

Wireless, radar applications

Cloaking differs from stealth technology, which doesn't make an aircraft invisible but reduces the cross-section available to radar, making it hard to track. Cloaking simply passes the radar or other waves around the object as if it weren't there.

Cloaks that render objects essentially invisible to microwaves could have a variety of wireless communications or radar applications, the researchers said.

The scientists said their cloak represents the most comprehensive approach to invisibility yet realized, with the potential to hide objects of any size or material property.

Earlier scientific approaches to achieving "invisibility" often relied on limiting the reflection of electromagnetic waves, they added.
That's something... It was on msn news 4 days ago...
Wingweaver_The_Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 AM   #2
CptSternn

I saw that. Looks cool.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I went to the SPIE convention last year in San Diego and this was discussed; it is using mathematics that predicted this possibility ten years ago, but is just now approaching practical application. Now if I can just get a microwave invisibility cloak for my car I can avoid more speeding tickets.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Geoluhread

http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/...icle_776.shtml

And this was when? 1990?
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
HumanePain

Interesting article but it fails to mention negative refractive index, which would be required to achieve the wrap around attribute of the microwave version in the OP.

An interesting mix of technologies to accomplish invisibility is nanotechnology and optics. In the December 2005 abstract published in the Optical Society of America (OSA) Optics Letters, scientists describe using nanorods that are smaller than light wavelengths, enabling them to affect the reflection of light with a negative refractive index:

http://ol.osa.org/abstract.cfm?uri=ol-30-24-3356

(Drs. V. M. Shalaev, W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar, H. Yuan, A. K. Sarychev, V. P. Drachev, and A. V. Kildishev)

Old 08-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Raptor

I think you were telling me about this around a month ago. Awesome that it has been done.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
ThreeEyesOni

Not realy an invisibility cloak, just a next step in stealth (aka: stealth bombers) technology.

There's a japanese guy who's working on an optical version. It basically looks like a poncho, and creates a blurring effect similar to the Predator movies. There have been a few military tests done on it, but no field tests to my knowledge.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
Not realy an invisibility cloak, just a next step in stealth (aka: stealth bombers) technology.

There's a japanese guy who's working on an optical version. It basically looks like a poncho, and creates a blurring effect similar to the Predator movies. There have been a few military tests done on it, but no field tests to my knowledge.
I once knew someone who could explain to me the theories of the Predator "stealth" device. I didn't see the movie, but his ideas were interesting and seemed to make sense.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time though before this is applied to military tactics and techniques. I wonder though if they'd actually tell us that they were using "stealth" technology like this?
Sir_Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Vex
I once knew someone who could explain to me the theories of the Predator "stealth" device. I didn't see the movie, but his ideas were interesting and seemed to make sense.
So you choose not to research it for yourself and believe what someone else says? This shows lethargy and laziness, which are unacceptable traits of character.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
So you choose not to research it for yourself and believe what someone else says? This shows lethargy and laziness, which are unacceptable traits of character.
Maybe, although he found his friend's ideas interesting, he just didn't care quite enough about THEORETICAL PHYSICS BASED ON SCI-FI ACTION MOVIES STARRING ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER to research the subject independently, which attitude is perfectly acceptable in my view.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
ThreeEyesOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Vex

I'm sure it's only a matter of time though before this is applied to military tactics and techniques. I wonder though if they'd actually tell us that they were using "stealth" technology like this?
There are more than a few possibilities for the movie-tech, but the real-world version is basically a poncho made of a dual sensory/display material (basically a bunch of horribly complicated technology that is about as fragile as Wil Wheaton's ego) that basically just uses sensors on one side to display on the exact opposite side what you should see from that angle. It's not precise, but if you are looking directly at the individual you're going to have a hard time seeing them dependent on the background; the military test had a photo of soldiers in the cloak in the middle of tall grass and damned if you would see them without knowing where and what to look for.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
Unimatrix 00

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPVQal851U

And it's actually not photoshop or anything, I saw it on TV once.
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

What I don't understand is why does his face not project in the sphere.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
Kristin

It's soo Artemis Fowl!
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #15
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I wonder what it would be like if everyone was wearing invisibility cloaks. Would people die more due to accidents because you won't be able to avoid it: Yesterday at 2 pm neighbor A was revving up a chainsaw and ran it right into invisible neighbor B. Or would it save more lives: Today in Iraq nothing happened, no one on either side managed to locate each other, Americans are now beginning to question if there is still even an American military, and if so where are they? Reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nknAzQPHE

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #16
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Maybe, although he found his friend's ideas interesting, he just didn't care quite enough about THEORETICAL PHYSICS BASED ON SCI-FI ACTION MOVIES STARRING ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER to research the subject independently, which attitude is perfectly acceptable in my view.
Thank you. This is exactly why I didn't look into it, which is for the same reason I never decided to look into how anti-matter fuels the warp drive in Star Trek.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #17
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
There are more than a few possibilities for the movie-tech, but the real-world version is basically a poncho made of a dual sensory/display material (basically a bunch of horribly complicated technology that is about as fragile as Wil Wheaton's ego) that basically just uses sensors on one side to display on the exact opposite side what you should see from that angle. It's not precise, but if you are looking directly at the individual you're going to have a hard time seeing them dependent on the background; the military test had a photo of soldiers in the cloak in the middle of tall grass and damned if you would see them without knowing where and what to look for.
Do we know if it's actually being used in the field yet in the slightest? It seems to me it could be used to hide guards or sentry units as long as they remained in the same spot or still.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
metum_capere

awesome! where do i sign up?
not sure about microwaving myself however..
metum_capere is offline   Reply With Quote