Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #26
Solumina

Well yeah, I mean what other group with those kind of reasources would want it to stay illegal?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #27
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
Alright, so, let's be blunt here. The United States of America is falling the fuck apart. I think we all know what I'm talking about here. Economically, culturally, and educationally, we're kind of sucking right now.
And here is where people typically lose me. "Falling apart" compared to what? Does anyone even question statements like this any more? Where's the skepticism, folks?

This, my friends, is an opinion based on a short-sighted viewpoint rooted in consumerism (not capitalism; we're talking about the artificial construction of need here, not meeting basic, real-world consumer demands). According to the people who want to sell you something (a product, a lifestyle, a political philosophy), nothing is ever good enough. The general population is constantly being hypnotized into believing what we have, who we are, and where we are going cannot possibly be the "right" thing, that, in fact, it's the worst possible state of affairs. "Act now!," the message goes, "and for a low, low price, we'll tell you who you should aspire to be, what the world should look like, and why we know best!"

Please.

History shows that human civilizations fluctuate, going through periods of bounty and famine. Going back tens of thousands of years, this has been the case among even the greatest civilizations. None of them "fall apart" over the course of a single lifespan; they have typically had their ups and downs until systemic faults sapped their influence and eventually brought them down. Based on the breadth and complexity of our modern society, I am extremely skeptical that we as a nation have come anywhere near a hand-basket, much less within sniffing distance of the hell these chicken littles all seem to think we are mere steps away from reaching.

Quote:
Here's how we should do it: You got a problem with the way the good ole' US of A is doing things? Point it out, and make a suggestion about how you would fix it.
Now, this idea I like. Anyone can criticize; it takes some actual thought to come up with a valid idea for addressing the kinds of things people love to whine about.

Quote:
I'll start with something that is probably too complex and large for me too fully comprehend. The economy.

Now, I'm not exactly an expert, but it seems to me that returning actual industry to the United States would be a major help. So, instead of buying all of our clothes from China and having India do our tech support....why don't we just do it?
This assumes the continued validity of all manufacturing, and is based on the idea that the economic model developed 150 years ago during the industrial revolution is still valid in the Information Age.

In my opinion, the vast majority of the manufacturing industry that has moved off-shore represents declining technologies and unskilled, low-paying jobs. The strength of this country has always been innovation. Rather than clinging to dead-end industries and out-dated technologies, we should be instituting policies that will facilitate the pouring of private investment capitol into research and development within industries ranging from alternative energy to pharmaceuticals to renewable resources. The jobs that have been, and continue to be, created through innovation have always come from the pursuit of newer and better products, methods, and economic strategies. The afore-mentioned Industrial Revolution is just one example. I see no reason to abandon this philosophy simply because people tend to fear change and the unknown.

Edward R. Murrow once said: "We are not descended from fearful men." I believe our society needs to start acting as thought this truly is the case. It's about time we started looking forward again with courage, rather than looking back out of fear.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #28
LaBelleDameSansMerci

But I think there should be some kind of duty to whoever one is employing, whether there is a law in the country or not, to at least pay them a livable wage.
I wish people would be content with *enough,* and spread the extra around to people (like the minimum-wage/outsource employees) who work their asses off and can't even afford to feed themselves properly. Although that would probably mean that less art would be commissioned and sold to rich people.... hmmm...

Edit: I think what America needs is to change corporate law so that they are liable to the long-term benefit of employees and shareholders, rather than the short-term benefit of the shareholders. I think that's what's causing a lot of short-sightedness and bleeding of companies.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
Razeal18

I seriously doubt anyone would agree to giving to others without personal benefit. Also what exactly is enough? When people make money with any amount of skill or talent, they tend to do it compusivley. They are not bad they are just victims of tunnel vision.

I am in a workforce developement program that teaches IT andproffestional skills as well as payes a minimal stipend. I didnt actually trust them until i heard the catch. I would spend 6 months in training and another 6 month in a fortune 500 comany for penuts again. at the end of it i would have job "assistance" or a possible salaried job with my internship company. the company makes a "contribution" to the program and the trainee gets a mark on his/her resume.

This is a viable business plan. It provides the need for companies to try out an employee for a good fit much cheaper than an actual college grad. It also training to those of us that the ghetto tends to push out with more on our minds than what hollywood squirts in to them.

Social benefit, capitalist objectives. Social-capitalism
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #30
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss

Sounds like "Anarchy" you know the Punk anthem. That is why I joined the Army for death: box checked and to bring about a revolution from the in-side: empty box.
Look at when we(the USA) broke away from England, and the mother country limped a way failed and defeated. That is CHANGE. So be not afraid of uncertainty, get active and get involved. Or sit back and watch the show.
Some of the greatest times in my life was when I was torn down only to be rebuilt as a stronger person, with a more stable foundation. Being a freshmen in high school, being a slave and basic training. It is all the same.
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote