Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2004, 03:58 AM   #26
berco

CARTOONS!

I like this web page; http://goodmedicinecartoons.tripod.c...cine/id31.html

Check it out...it's KEWL!
berco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:43 AM   #27
ShyVenus

Black? Fashion? Self-absorption? I, I, I!!! Ego die!

Aghhh. Fashion. Looks...
In a way superficial. On another hand essential signpost for certain types. Today, everything mixes, it's not easy to recognise an alternative from goth from mainstream anymore. It used to be, that you saw someone and knew what sort of music they were listening to and what sensitivities they were drawn to.
Black brings out your personality. People are forced to look you in the face and pause to comprehend what you're all about.
Black also fits any occasion from work to play. It's very easy to blend in anywhere, specially if you're active as I am, where I'd need a 36 hour day.
Body is not important. Important is your head, your secret thoughts, your knowledge, your sensitivity and vulnerability kept so private, stating you are aware of some other unsuperficial things in life...
Bolder accessories state more. Depends what you can afford.
Aghhh.
ShyVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #28
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metis
I swear, it's a sick cosmic joke. Just to irk me.
And why is it so hard to believe? He said originally from Malaysia, not that he lives there now. I've known people originally from Malaysia before whom you could never have guessed it by looking at them or hearing them talk.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #29
YamiTad

Well, I wear because it just feels right (I know, lots of others have said this, so piss off :P ). I remember the first time that I looked in a mirror (I had my usual black eyeliner, lipstick, and eyeshadow on). When I saw how I looked, I loved it. I delighted in it. I thought to myself,"You are one hot and sexy chick." Which is something I have never considered myself before, no matter how many times I hear others say it. I just look better, and feel better when I have it on.

And dare I say it... evil. Wonderously evil. :twisted:
YamiTad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #30
WolfMoon

Jeez,I don't know why this thread was even posted.

Goths wear black because we're GOTH!!

DUH!

It differentiates us from the rest of the losers in society.I can't believe anyone that calls themselves goth would even ask such a ridiculous question when the answer is more obvious than the nose on your face.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:32 AM   #31
Daz

umm i wear black because its the colour of the clothing in my closet. the cloths in my closet are black because thats generally the colour they were when i bought them. they were black when i bought them because it was usually either black or pink or baby blue to choose from.
this is an increadibly stupid question really because i cant say why the next goth over wears what he/she wears. i wear black because i do. of course i happen to be posting this while sitting in my blue wolf fuzzy pjs :twisted:
Old 01-11-2004, 04:44 PM   #32
GOTHangel

Re: CARTOONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berco

up 2 u.....i'm tellin' the truth.....what's the big deal anyway.....
GOTHangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 05:05 PM   #33
pitseleh

I wear it in honour of the BLACK PUDDING! :twisted:

All must bow before the great omniscient BLACK PUDDING!
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:30 PM   #34
Klixin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Jeez,I don't know why this thread was even posted.

Goths wear black because we're GOTH!!

DUH!

It differentiates us from the rest of the losers in society.I can't believe anyone that calls themselves goth would even ask such a ridiculous question when the answer is more obvious than the nose on your face.
To some its more than just conforming to what society thinks of goths.
It seems your blinded by the whole ego thing of being differernt rather than understanding why. Thats why it was posted.
Klixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:27 AM   #35
RetroGoth_queen

what I find most amusing is the statement that goths wear black to be different... different just like every other goth :lol: . oh well :oops:
Old 01-12-2004, 01:51 AM   #36
Klixin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGoth_queen
what I find most amusing is the statement that goths wear black to be different... different just like every other goth :lol: . oh well :oops:
Differernt within society...
Klixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #37
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGoth_queen
Actually, other than in color, what I wear comes nowhere near to matching any other goth that I've seen. Those around here are the type which thinks that Slipknot and LimpBizkit are gothic, so... well, you can go from there.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:55 AM   #38
RetroGoth_queen

Is goth not a society in its own right? Perhaps rather than differing from "society' its more of a society exchange.
I think I was misunderstood, or if not: taken seriously.
I think that using the colour black alone to distinguish oneself as being different from 'society' is a bit of nonsence... I think it perhaps goes further than that. As Asurai seems to have stated.
Man I waffle on ! :P
Old 01-15-2004, 05:54 AM   #39
Necrophagous_unleashed

not just goth's wear black :roll:
Necrophagous_unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #40
WolfMoon

Re: CARTOONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHangel
Quote:
Originally Posted by berco

up 2 u.....i'm tellin' the truth.....what's the big deal anyway.....
The next person who sends a link to another "save your soul" webpage I will personally beat the hell out of!!Fuck You!!Go suck Jesus's balls and pray your life away like the goddamn pope!!Just don't drag any of the rest of us down with you!!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:43 PM   #41
BloodFlowerJoy

Word like "dats" irritate me.

On subject: I wear black for a number of reasons. I'm to tired to list them at the moment, but...eh...whatever. I wear black because I like to. Black is me. I am black...wait, that didn't come off well >_>

Black expresses my emotions, my whole frame of mind. There.
BloodFlowerJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:16 PM   #42
satan

well

i wear Black because i like it.And it signifys how i feel and that im goth.but it also means that i rather be in dark places, alone and away from crouds. i hate colors because it dosen't suit me and i dont like other colors other then black and red. black alsomeans that some of use rather live with demons and satan himself.
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #43
poetictragedy

why i wear black...

black to me is sort of like a sign of finality...like the ending of something painful...

no longer being just another face in the crowd
no longer held in by the walls of consistency
no longer scratching, crawling, desperately trying to be heard

sometimes i just want to let out an earth-shattering cry, but i'm afraid...
of what, i'm not sure, but it's like when you open your mouth to say something and nothing comes out, or you do something idiotic and you look around to see anyone was watching...

it makes all that insecurity go away.

apologies if this makes no sense...sometimes my mouth fails to convey what my heart is saying
poetictragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #44
Perfectly_Flawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klixin
does anyone else find that the more black they wear, the more 'protected' they feel?
I gave this question a bit more thought. Particularly today ... and yes, I do feel a bit more 'protected'. It doesn't neccessarily relate to the number of black items I'm wearing though. Seeing as how Perth is in its hot summer period, donning too much clothing is a bad idea, if you're not in an air-conditioned area. But back to the original question ... I don't feel 'protected' as such. Maybe defensive. I get looks from people because I don't dress like a fashion-sheep, and I instinctively lift my chin, standing my ground instead of withering under their judging gaze.

So, in that way, black brings me comfort. Comfort and confidence.

Today was interesting. I'm wearing this short black skirt which is made of a thickish material, and it has grey roses on it. The lady at the bookstore commented that it was "Very nice ... quite feminine." 0_o

... It is quite purdy.
Perfectly_Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:50 PM   #45
the_binary_soul

goths dont wear black. ( in the sense that, that is just a stereotype and true goths are just as likely to be seen wearing green, blue, or white as they are black.....)
the_binary_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:49 PM   #46
ArteryAngel

I wear black a lot cause i look damn good in it. Simple as that. I look funny in color. It also makes shopping very easy.
ArteryAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:11 PM   #47
iana

i chose other for one reason: black is just the best color
and this is why

-generally, all blacks go together (ive seen a few extreme cases of mixing red blacks with blue/green blacks and it was not pretty :? )
and blacks also go with ALL other colors

-black and white (in fabric) the only colors i can think of that can create a a certain level of depth using texture alone. sure, if you make a dress out of the same color of blue, it may have depth, but its just not the same as black/white.

-you rarely have to deal with stains unless its velvet or bleach was involved (not to mention that its easier to get away with dirty clothes if they're black.... er... unless you have a white cat )

-if your haircut is growin out and getting a little on the skanky side, its harder to tell with black (hair) than with other colors.

-if you are dressed, head to toe, in black, it focuses more attention on your exposed skin. lets say you wore a big white wedding dress, the dress would be the brightest thing and therefore more focused on.. its a basic rule of color - the darker the color (and the cooler, blues and all that) the more it fades into the backgound. so if you wear an all black dress with black hair- theres more attention on your face or hands etc... and if you wear one with brightly colored hair, then that becomes the focus....

iana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #48
Daz

you know, i never thought of it that way but i have to agree with you iana
i like the way you put that :twisted:
Old 01-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #49
iana

thanks, doll
iana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:55 AM   #50
blueblood1900

goth in technicolor?

First of all, goths aren't the only one that wear black and not all goths wear black.

Although I do admit that the grand majority of my wardrobe is in fact black, I find that I don't feel "protected" by wearing black so much as I do by wearing something out of the ordinary (as per what you might expect to see nearly everybody else on the street wearing). Maybe I'm a glutton for disapproval? :wink:
blueblood1900 is offline   Reply With Quote