Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Opteron_Man

Nailpolish Questions

I typically use Black NYC Long-Wearing Enamel, then a couple of coats of NYC Clear Nail Hardener. However, I am not very skilled at putting it on. I have seen many other brands, but I don't know which to use. What is a good one? Also, I heard that you could paint your fingernails with black Sharpie markers. I tried that once, it applyed like a dream, but it rubbed off afterword leaving a dark purple 'smear'. I had heard that is not safe to use.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
electrosexual

Oh dont use a sharpie! Your nails will dry out and split and become stained. And you'll die. (Well not the last part, but still).

I know it's more expensive than many brands, but I think MAC is the best. It doesnt tend to dry out over time in the bottle and it applies onto your nails so easily, like water. And dries ultra fast. I find that I only need the one coat most of the time and I never have to bother with undercoat/top coat enamels.

As for the application, well I'm not the best myself at it, and tend to end up painting the tips of my fingers also. I'm getting better though! And I'd suggest that you do your writing hand first, that way you've dont the hardest hand first (because you have to use your non-writing hand to paint your writing hand fingers).
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
electrosexual

Oh and Rimmel 60 seconds nail polish is fab too. As with that, only one coat is needed and it dries really quick.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Opteron_Man

I heard that you should put the stuff in the fridge or freezer when you store it. Or else it will go 'bad'.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
††BlackRose††

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
Oh and Rimmel 60 seconds nail polish is fab too. As with that, only one coat is needed and it dries really quick.
I can vouch for that one. It is pretty good. Which reminds me ... I need new black nailpoish. lol.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Opteron_Man

I FUCKING HATE PUTTING ON NAILPOLISH!!!!! It dries too fast and looks like streaky shit. I wish I could hammer my fingers.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
I heard that you should put the stuff in the fridge or freezer when you store it. Or else it will go 'bad'.
Unless it's some freaky organic blend or something... I don't think that's necessary. I've been able to live off of one bottle on my shelf for months at a time, sans refrigerator.

As for applying, if it helps, you can use leverage when painting. Push your forearm against a table or something and use your wrist and fingers instead of shaking your hand around in midair. Also, don't be overzealous - wipe the brush around the neck of the bottle a little if you keep pulling out giant blobs. And try positioning the brush a little above the cuticle, that way when you push down, it won't cover your skin.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 AM   #8
DeathToLems

I HAVE A TRICK!!!...or erm a tip should I say.
O-man if your not in a hurry to go anywhere that you must were your nails with varnish here is a tip!

Paint your nails as messy or as neat as you like. If you happen to get it all over your fingers who cares!?
Let the paint dry and then go to bed or whatever.
Next morning grab some soap and a scrubbing nail brush and get scrubbing.
The paint will flake of your skin but not your nails (if you used a really good varnish that is)

I do this all the time. I done my toes a few days ago and man did I get the paint everywhere. You try painting the tiniest nail with a brush that's bigger then the nail.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToLems
O-man if your not in a hurry to go anywhere that you must were your nails with varnish here is a tip!

Paint your nails as messy or as neat as you like. If you happen to get it all over your fingers who cares!?
The paint will flake of your skin but not your nails (if you used a really good varnish that is)

I do this all the time. I done my toes a few days ago and man did I get the paint everywhere. You try painting the tiniest nail with a brush that's bigger then the nail.
Well, I put my nail polish on sloppy, then I take a Q-tip dipped in polish remover and rub away where I painted onto my skin. It looks okay afterwards.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
TopHaggardDoll

Yeah, That is my method.

Also, paint a line down the middle of your nail...then one either side of the previously painted line....el perfecto!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToLems

That's what I do!
Except instead of soap, I use lotion!

I like Revlon's (now discontinued) Dark Pleasures line. They have dark purple, dark red, and a purple black called Patent Leather that I looooove.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
Lux Interior Ate My Brain

I use the Sally Hansen "Hard As Nails Xtreme Wear" nail polish, it goes on like a dream and comes off the skin easily with a little nail polish remover and little scrubbing.
If you're really having issues with getting the polish all over your fingers, I suggest that you invest one of those handy little makers with the polish remover in the tip.
Lux Interior Ate My Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
Solumina

If you have a lot of ridges on your nails then get a nail buffer, they only take about a minute per hand and the results last until that part of your nail grows out (also they help your nails to grow faster and stronger)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #14
Opteron_Man

That's what mine look like after a few days of wear and tear.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/IMG_0157.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/IMG_0158.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/IMG_0159.jpg
Old 05-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
HeatherCD

Nail polish is pretty easy to apply really.. you just need to take a little time and be sure to give about 15 minutes between coats (nail polish takes about 3 hours to fully cure). It normally takes at least 2 coats to get good coverage. As for how to remove the overpainting on the skin, believe it or not, just rub it a little in the shower the next day. The oils in your skin will lift the dried polish and the hot water will help separate it some more. It will come right off with a little pressure. Be sure to apply a coat or 2 of topcoat, not nail strengthener or anything else. top coat is much harder and will make the color last longer.
HeatherCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
XxBloodyrosexX

Thanks for the tips!!! My nail polish always seems to get all sticky, like maple syrup, at the near end of a month. Good thing is that I paint my nails so often (I'm an artist so oil paint and terpeniod natural don't work so well with nail polish!) that the bottle gets used up quickly, no waste. Thought I do spend a lot of $ on polish. Do you guys know why it seems only black nail polish gets all thick and sticky? My mom says the amount of dye used to get it so black makes it so. Her flamingo pink never gets sticky. *flinches at colour*
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
KontanKarite

I don't paint my nails anymore...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:21 AM   #18
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
That's what I do!
Except instead of soap, I use lotion!

I like Revlon's (now discontinued) Dark Pleasures line. They have dark purple, dark red, and a purple black called Patent Leather that I looooove.
It hasn't been discontinued has it? theres heaps of it (still being restocked) at Big W where I live..
I reckon it looks cool but it's got glitter sparkles =S
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:24 AM   #19
Minyaliel

What's wrong with glitter sparkles? I love sparkly stuff... =D
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 AM   #20
NightmareInShiningArmour

I just don't really like glitter sparkles in my polish. Dark purple looks so cool though, if I could find some. =[
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
†Elia†

I use Manic Panic nail polish. I usually file and buff my nails and clean them with nail polish remover. Then I just put one coat of the nail polish wait for it to dry and then a put another coat. Manic Panic nail polish works pretty well on my nails. Painting nails is time consuming but the end result is great. You get pleasing looking nails.

And I also have to agree Rimmel 60 seconds works wonderfully.

xXx
†Elia† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #22
DeepDarkDee

if you want something long lasting (like 7 days plus) i would say to use two coats of polish get some heat on it (i use a hair dryer) and put another coat on and wait for that to dry naturally (well as naturally as you can get with something thats not that natural) And then some normal clear hardener :P But be warned it take forever to get off with nail vanish remover...
DeepDarkDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #23
Gawd

That's why I've replaced my organic nails with shiny metalic false ones. =]
Not really, but I wish that that was an option. Nail polish sucks, and can be messy if you screw up.
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #24
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawd
That's why I've replaced my organic nails with shiny metalic false ones. =]
Not really, but I wish that that was an option. Nail polish sucks, and can be messy if you screw up.
Because nail polish remover is oh so hard to come by? That and fake nails are really everywhere, any nail salon can put them on for you, they just really fuck up your nail beds so once people get them they tend not to ever let their real nails show.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #25
She_Is_My_Sin

I haven't checked through all of the posts on here, but one idea on removing excess nail varnish on your fingers is to dip a cotton bud in nail varnish remover and wipe it on to get the worst of the varnish off.

Also, use an undercoat when using dark shades. If you don't, the varnish will stain your nails like a bitch.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote