Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Despanan

Post Snow White Zombie

Well, looks like I'm finally going to get some of my work produced, I entered a twenty-four hour play contest with the New York Theatre Experiment and I just heard back, this one is going to be among the eight that are fully produced. I wrote this last night and it will be performed @ 7pm tomorrow!

Quote:
Snow White Zombie

A Ten-Minute Play

By Despanan

Lights come up on a clearing in Snow White’s Forest. SNOW WHITE lies in a glass coffin on top of a pedestal a little to the left of center stage. PRINCE CHARMING enters from stage right. He is nervous, his sword is drawn, and his clothes are tattered. He is dirty and sporting a five o’clock shadow which gives him a ruggedly handsome look (Think Viggo Mortensen in Lord of the Rings). Anxiously, he surveys the clearing. A beat. When he is satisfied that it is safe, PRINCE sheathes his sword and leans against a nearby tree, exhausted. He lets out a sigh, runs his hands through his hair, and then begins to massage his sore muscles. It is in this moment that PRINCE notices SNOW WHITE. Carefully, he approaches the coffin, entranced by her beauty. RAPUNZEL enters from stage right. Her skin and clothes are dirty, her dress tattered. The bottom has been torn off to create a mini-skirt. She also wears high leather boots and a long coat, the overall effect of which makes her appear somewhere between “princess” and “pirate.” In her right hand she carries a gun—an old flintlock pistol—and in her left, a cleaver, stained with dried blood. Most jarring of all is her hair, which has been cropped short, and is sticking out all over the place. RAPUNZEL has about her an air of quiet, deadly competence, like a tiger who doesn’t necessarily intend to pounce anytime soon, but certainly could arrange to do some pouncing within a moment’s notice. She watches PRINCE as he reaches down and touches SNOW WHITE’S hair. He gives it a smell and a look of ecstasy comes across his face. PRINCE releases the lock, tenderly brushes it behind her ear, and plants a gentle kiss upon SNOW WHITE’S lips.

Rapunzel: What the fuck are you doing?!

Prince Charming: (Surprised.) GAAAH!...uh, nothing.

Rapunzel: Were you just kissing a dead chick?

Prince Charming: No.

Rapunzel: Yes you were. I saw you.

Prince Charming: No…I was, I was just—

Rapunzel: (Advancing.) She is in a coffin. Her skin is white as snow. What about that does not add up to necrophilia?

Prince Charming: No, no. It’s…it’s—

Rapunzel: (Turning away and walking upstage.) Look, I know this whole apocalypse thing has been hard on you; it’s been hard on me too, but just because the dead are rising does not mean that you have to take them to the ball.

Prince Charming: (Turning to follow her.) Rapunzel—

Slowly, moving like a zombie, SNOW WHITE rises from the coffin behind them.

Rapunzel: (Building towards tears.) I know you’ve been dealing with the fact that your father, the king, was eaten by a girl a red cape, but—just because fairyland’s governments have collapsed—

Prince Charming: Baby—

Rapunzel: This isn’t the first time! I caught you necking that Cinder-bitch back at the palace! I found her shoe in your closet!

Prince Charming: I was trying to get her to give us a ride in her coach.

Rapunzel: It was a pumpkin! People can’t escape hordes of the undead in pumpkins! (Pointing at the coffin, but looking at PRINCE CHARMING.) And what does she have that I don’t have? ‘Cause I can name one thing that I have that she doesn’t, and it’s a p—

By now SNOW WHITE has risen from the coffin unnoticed; she moves towards PRINCE CHARMING as if in a dream.

Snow White: (Dreamily.) My prince!

PRINCE CHARMING and RAPUNZEL leap away in terror.

Rapunzel & Prince Charming: (Overlapping.) Sweet mother of God!

SNOW WHITE curtsies.

Rapunzel: (Raising her cleaver, giving an insane battle-cry, and charging straight for SNOW WHITE.) NEEEYAAAA!

Prince Charming: (Restraining her.) Wait!

Rapunzel: Remove-the-head-destroy-the-brain!

RAPUNZEL points her pistol at SNOW WHITE’S head. PRINCE CHARMING pushes it away.

Prince Charming: No.

Snow White: (Oblivious.) Hello.

Rapunzel: (Struggling to level the gun.) It talks! They’re evolving! Let me kill it.

Prince Charming: She’s not one of them.

Snow White: (Waves.) Yoo-hoo.

Slight pause.

Rapunzel: It’s braindead! Let me kill it.

RAPUNZEL tries to attack SNOW WHITE again. PRINCE CHARMING restrains her.

Rapunzel: Let go!

Prince Charming: Calm down.

Rapunzel: That’s what you told me when I saw that someone had been eating in my bed!

Snow White: Excuse me.

Prince Charming: You’re not thinking clearly.

Rapunzel: They had been eating someone else in my bed!

Prince Charming: She’s not infected.

Rapunzel: You said Rumpelstiltskin wasn’t infected!

Prince Charming: That’s what we thought—

Rapunzel: Until he tore out Mother Goose’s jugular!

Prince Charming: No one could’ve predicted that.

Rapunzel: Why did you take me out of the tower? It was safe in the tower!

Prince Charming: I didn’t do that.

Rapunzel: (Sarcastically.) Oh, right, all you did was say “Let down your hair,” and I just leapt into your arms!

Prince Charming: This again?

Rapunzel: Of course “this again,” we didn’t solve anything the last time.

Snow White: EXCUSE ME!

SILENCE. PRINCE CHARMING and RAPUNZEL simultaneously turn their heads to face SNOW WHITE.

Snow White: (Curtsies.) Hello. My name’s Snow White.

Rapunzel: Whoop-de-friggin’-do.

Snow White: Why were you yelling at my prince?

A beat. RAPUNZEL and PRINCE CHARMING exchange glances.

Rapunzel: Your Prince?

Snow White: Well he did wake me up—

Rapunzel: Oh, in that case—

Snow White: With true love’s kiss.

A beat. RAPUNZEL glares at PRINCE CHARMING. He shrugs.

Rapunzel: (Coldly.) You are handing those things out like candy.

RAPUNZEL walks upstage and leans against a tree.

Rapunzel: You can have him, sister.

Snow White: (Runs to PRINCE CHARMING and embraces him.) Oh, wonderful! We will have such a wedding!

Prince Charming: Uhh, yeah…about that—

Rapunzel: A wedding.

Snow White: Where are my forest friends?

Prince Charming: Look, uhh…Snowy, there’s some things—

Snow White: Forest Friends! Forest Friends! I am awake!

Rapunzel: Snowy.

Prince Charming: That you need to understand.

Snow White: I have found my love! Come celebrate with me!

Prince Charming: Snow White.

Snow White: Sparrows?

Snow White: Deer?

Snow White: I am awake! I have—

Rapunzel: Your friends are dead.

A long pause.

Snow White: What?

Prince: (Tenderly.) They’re dead, Snow White.

Pause.

Snow White: How?

Prince: They were eaten.

PAUSE.

Snow White: By the Evil Qu—?

Prince: By zombies.

Pause.

Snow White: What?

Prince: How long have you been unconscious?

Snow White: Since November sixteenth.

Prince Charming: It’s twenty-eight days later. The dead have risen. They are attacking and devouring the living.

Snow White: Oh my.

Prince Charming: Rapunzel and I are among the few remaining survivors. We move from place to place, running from the dead, surviving off our wits, always searching for a safe haven.

RAPUNZEL takes an apple out of her coat.

Snow White: But, but how did this happen?

RAPUNZEL brushes off the apple.

Prince Charming: How else? A birthday party. There was a mix-up in the invitations, one fairy was left out…and she got all kinds of butt-hurt, and then, BAM: Zombie Apocalypse.

Snow White: Oh my…The dwarves! We’ve got to warn them! Where are the seven dwarves?

RAPUNZEL takes a bite out of the apple. The sound reverberates through the theatre.

Prince Charming: Dwarves? Seven? About yea-high? (Holds up his hand.)

Snow White: (Happily.) Yes! That’s them! Where are they? What happened to them?

PRINCE CHARMING looks at RAPUNZEL. SNOW WHITE follows him. RAPUNZEL chews the apple and casually swings her cleaver at dwarf head-height.

Snow White: But…Happy? Sleepy? Sneezy, Dopey, Grumpy, Bashful…Doc.

RAPUNZEL gleefully swings the cleaver with each name.

Snow White: (Horrified.) How could you? You Mur—

Prince Charming: (Grabbing her by the shoulders.) Listen to me, Snow White, every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills get up and kill.

Snow White: Goodness.

Prince Charming: They were already dead. We had no choice. I’m sorry.

Snow White: (Quietly.) I understand.

Prince Charming: You’re going to be alright, I’m going to take care of you.

Snow White: Thank you.

PRINCE CHARMING kisses SNOW WHITE passionately. RAPUNZEL rolls her eyes.

Prince Charming: I have to go now. I have to see if the way ahead is clear. Rapunzel is going to keep an eye on you while I am gone. Be strong, my love.

Snow White: I will be strong, my love.

Prince Charming: Zel, look after her.

Rapunzel: (Sarcastically.) Yes sir.

PRINCE CHARMING exits stage left. Rapunzel makes a face at him after he goes, then turns to SNOW WHITE.

Rapunzel: (Offering her the apple.) Bite?

Snow White: (Firmly.) No. No thank you.

Rapunzel: Kay.

RAPUNZEL picks at the apple. A beat.

Rapunzel: He said that to me, you know. That stuff about “taking care” of you? You’re not the first. I just thought you should know that.

Snow White: He loves me.

Rapunzel: (Bitterly, she knows it’s true.) I’m sure he does. Just like I’m sure he loves me. That’s just the way he is.

Snow White: What happened to your hair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White Zombie
A beat.

Rapunzel: (Reaching back to feel her hair non-existent hair, like a phantom limb.) It used to be gorgeous and long, strong enough for him to climb. I let it hang out the window, and up he’d come. He’d bring his warmth and his scent into my cold, empty tower…and we’d make love until the sun came up. Then, down he’d climb, off to his next challenge; his next conquest.

A pause.

Rapunzel: Off he’d go, and I would be left alone…until my belly began to show, and that old witch threw me out. The way I see it, you had it good, under that glass.

Snow White: I was poisoned.

Rapunzel: By your stepmother.

Snow White: By the Qu—

Rapunzel: Witch, queen, stepmother…mother, whatever. You were safe, like I was. Now you’re awake, you’re a woman, and you’ve got to face reality.

Snow White: I have waited my whole life for him. If this is what it takes for us to be together, then so be it. I can handle myself.

Rapunzel: I hope so, sister.

Prince Charming: (Returning.) It’s safe. Nothing ahead but some blown-over houses, and what’s left of three little pigs.

Moaning comes from offstage right.

Rapunzel: They’re coming, we’ve got to move.

Prince Charming: (To Snow White.) Are you ready?

SNOW WHITE looks at RAPUNZEL, then back at PRINCE CHARMING and nods. PRINCE CHARMING offers his hand, but SNOW WHITE gets up on her own. She hugs him tightly.

Big Bad Wolf: (Offstage, like a moan.) HUUUUUUFFFFFFFF.

Snow White: What was that?

Big Bad Wolf: (Offstage.) PUUUUUUFFFFFFFFF!

Rapunzel: Zombie wolves.

RAPUNZEL hands SNOW WHITE her cleaver.

Rapunzel: Do you know how to use this?

SNOW WHITE nods reluctantly.

Rapunzel: Hit them in the head. One blow.

SNOW WHITE grips the cleaver, a determined look comes over her face.

Prince Charming: (Drawing his sword.) You two go on ahead. I’ll guard the rear.

Rapunzel: (To SNOW WHITE.) Go on, honey.

SNOW WHITE looks back at Prince Charming, who nods. She exits stage left; RAPUNZEL follows her. PRINCE CHARMING looks around for a minute, then begins to exit. From stage right, SLEEPING BEAUTY appears.

Sleeping Beauty: (Musically.) Uuuuuhhhhhh…

PRINCE CHARMING turns and sees her. He is instantly entranced. They both walk towards each other, and it becomes obvious that SLEEPING BEAUTY is a zombie. PRINCE CHARMING does not seem to notice. RAPUNZEL re-enters from stage left. She sees PRINCE CHARMING and takes aim. PRINCE CHARMING reaches out to kiss SLEEPING BEAUTY, and she reaches out to bite him. RAPUNZEL fires her gun. SLEEPING BEAUTY drops to the ground, dead from a headshot. Prince Charming turns and looks at RAPUNZEL. She keeps her gun trained on him.

Rapunzel: (Walking forward, menacingly.) You’ve got some bad habits, and I think they’re going to be the death of you.

RAPUNZEL places the barrel of her gun underneath PRINCE CHARMING’S chin and keeps her finger on the trigger. There is a tense moment, then RAPUNZEL reaches out and embraces him; they kiss passionately.

Rapunzel: (Grabs PRINCE CHARMING’S butt.) Good thing you’re so goddamn charming.

Lights down. End of play.
...Aaaand there we have it. Honestly this was alot of fun to write. I'm pretty excited to be seeing it on stage.
Quote:
Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Apathy's_Child

This is exactly the kind of shit I was talking about when we had that argument about modern adaptations of fairy tales - taking the original elements, and exploring the themes from a contemporary perspective.

This'll be fun to see performed. Good going, dude.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
carakitty

Congrats, I wish I could come see it.
Break a leg!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Despanan

Well, I just saw it performed.

They added stuff, and changed stuff, so it was a little wierd, but overall I was very pleased. I may even add some of the things the actors threw in in future drafts. It's really weird to see someone else perform your work, when you haven't directed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
This is exactly the kind of shit I was talking about when we had that argument about modern adaptations of fairy tales - taking the original elements, and exploring the themes from a contemporary perspective.

This'll be fun to see performed. Good going, dude.
Thanks Apathy, that really means alot, considering how long that argument went on.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Lethe

This would make a good book. If you ever thought about adapting and publishing it, I would definately buy it.
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Despanan

Kontan mentioned that actually. I wouldn't necessarily be adverse to the idea, but I hadn't really thought about it. I may go that rout, or I may see if I can expand it into a two act play.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Saya

I laughed a lot at this, well done!

A lot of versions of fairy tales are actually pretty horrible, even when it comes to the prince, for example in Perrault's Sleeping Beauty, the prince rapes her and she gives birth in her sleep, and I think in one version Rapunzel's prince takes advantage of her, its nice to see her kicking ass instead and being mad about it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I laughed a lot at this, well done!

A lot of versions of fairy tales are actually pretty horrible, even when it comes to the prince, for example in Perrault's Sleeping Beauty, the prince rapes her and she gives birth in her sleep, and I think in one version Rapunzel's prince takes advantage of her, its nice to see her kicking ass instead and being mad about it.
My girlfriend is a major fairy-tale buff, so in order to prepare for writing this I read a bunch of "original" fairy tales, and some scholarly commentary on them.

You know, I'd read them before, and knew to expect some shattered storylines and horrifying violence / overt eroticism, but I was really shocked by how insane some of the storylines really got. Like in one telling of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty's mother wins a "Jumping over a Rose" contest in order to win some vaguely hinted-at prize by cheating and eating a rose-petal. This of course results in A VIRGIN BIRTH, as explained to her by her fairy friends (who have only just now come into the story). When snow white is born, the fairy show up to give her magical gifts, but one fairy trips on the way there and accidentally curses Snow White, which results in her mother accidentally killing her by leaving a PERFECTLY NORMAL comb in her hair...and it just gets crazier from there.

I was also really interested in the prevailing themes (For instance the Oedipal/Electral undertones with the Wicked Stepmother/Queen/Witch being a stand-in for the child's mother so that they can vent their aggression and jealousy towards their parents in a healthy way).

So yeah, I figured Zombies would fit in pretty well in that sort of world.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Malice In Wonderland

Yeah, I liked it.
No chance you got the performance filmed?

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Yeah, I liked it.
No chance you got the performance filmed?
Unfortunately not, but I doubt this will be the last time it's produced. Next time I get a full production up I'll see about getting it filmed.
Quote:
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Despanan

Hey Guys,

I'm pleased to announce that Snow White Zombie will be produced in NYC this coming october, as part of the Estrogenius Festival.

This is gonna be so cool.
Quote:
Old 06-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
Breathless Horror

Vid post when it happens pleeeeaaaaaassssseeee *bats eyelashes*

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Despanan

I'll see what I can do. It's a bitch to do video, as I have no camera, no editing software, and no way to transfer the stuff from video to an uploadable format, thus I must get favors from three separate friends just to arrange it.

But yeah, I do want to put this on my website, so hopefully I'll be able to work it out.
Quote:
Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
KontanKarite

Guys, just so you know, yours truly will be playing Big Bad Wolf. If you're in the area, seriously, come out and see this show. The fights alone are amazing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
vindicatedxjin

OOH why can't there be awesome plays like this in Dallas? JEALOUSY. Please find a way to record it if possible or I might have to go to New York. I miss theatre immensely D:

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
PortraitOfSanity

Because Dallas is a shithole.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
vindicatedxjin

I've already vowed that once I find a way I'm going to get out of here...current circumstances prevent this however.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
Sinjob

..you mean mom and dad?
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #20
Despanan

Oh man,

this show is going to kick so much ass guys.

The cast is phenomenal, and honestly churning out a better performance than I saw in my head when I wrote it. We've also got some pretty badassed original music to go along with it.

The director and I are currently looking for a way to get it videotaped. If not there's also talk of doing a film version after this, and/or adapting it into a longer work a year or two down the line.

Hopefully we'll be able to get it videotaped.

We open on wed. of this week, and run the rest of the week. If people like the show we may also get extended for another week long run at the end of october.
Quote:
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #21
vindicatedxjin

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
..you mean mom and dad?
I haven't lived with my parents in two years. So no.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #22
Apathy's_Child

Link isn't working for me - where & when is this being performed?

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #23
Despanan

Yeah, Estro's website went down earlier this month and they've been unable to get it back for some reason.

The show runs wed. 9/29 to sat. Oct. 1st performances are @ 8pm every night, and there's a 3pm matinee on sat. at:

Manhattan Theatre Source
177 MacDougal Street
New York, NY 10011
Betw. Waverly Place and W. 8th St., 1 block north of Washington Square Park

Tickets can be purchased here

There are 4 other 20 minute plays being performed, but ours is the best in the lineup if I do say so myself.
Quote:
Old 09-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #24
Despanan

Facebook group is here.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...030338&index=1

Performance calendar is here:

http://www.theatresource.org/estroge.../calendar.html
Quote:
Old 09-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #25
OnyxBat

Congrats! I might go to it.