Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #26
Despanan

I have created life. Irrational life, with poor cover art, but life none the less. FEAR ME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morey View Post
Despanan, really? You're trying to talk about bad art, then you throw that piece of garbage Afterall out there? An image of a cloudy sky taken from Google images, darkened then some shitty line drawings and text slapped on top. Boy oh boy, you sure showed me. I have to admit, that Snow White Zombie is just incredible, looks like it took the twelve-year-old who drew it at least two class periods to sketch that out. Truly impressive. You clearly have a strong grasp on what makes good art.
But see, I actually brought up salient points as to WHY those covers didn't work. You're just throwing insults, and ignoring my point: that it's the overall composition of an image and not necessarily the content, which defines a good dynamic cover.

If the style of either of my graphics is not to your taste, that's one thing, but I haven't been talking taste. My objections are objective while yours are completely subjective.

Besides, as a writer yourself, you should know that writing is not so much about the explicit, but the IMPLICIT. It's about being able to say as much as possible with the fewest amount of words.

So too, with visual art. I won't argue that my pieces are more stylized and far simpler than your covers - In fact, I think that's a strength. One of the things about the Afterall graphic that I like so much is the seamless blending of the photo-background with the sketchy, stylized illustration. I also like that it requires the viewer to examine each line closely to see the whole picture. This actually plays in to the various themes of my play.

Similarly, the stylized nature and color use of SWZ makes it much more visually appealing, and keeps the eye where it needs to be, instead of shooting it off the page or landing it in some chicks armpit, despite a lashing tongue, vampire fangs, a syringe, and an ample rack.

Speaking of which, did a Committee design that Gaki-chick? You've literally cobbled together pieces of completely different monsters (the alien, the fem fatale, the mad scientist/doctor, the vampire, the ghost, and most horrifying of all: the Soulless Ginger) into some sort of MONSTERGASM. She's the Gothic-lit equivalent of the pirate-zombie-ninja-robot.

Which, I'll admit, is pretty awesome if you did it on purpose, with the intent to amuse as opposed to horrify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #27
ssj_goku

Thiss guy who's NOT Chris_Morely is my new FAVORITE. look @ this:

This guy is going CRAZY. i bett if he had leik hands instead of a circle he would be about to throw lightning @ those underwaiter zombies!

Maybe he doesnn't neeed hands tho, leik he's so strong he can burn them with his ENERGY LEGS!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #28
Chris_Morey

Yes, I the forum bot have achieved self-awareness thanks to Despanan.
Chris_Morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
Chris_Morey

Thumbs up Fangtooth by Shaun Jeffrey, a new novel from Dark Regions Press

Dark Regions Press is proud to announce that the brand new novel Fangtooth by Shaun Jeffrey, author of the novel The Kult is now available for preorder on our website in both our leather-bound signed by both author and artist Deluxe Thirteen Hardcover with slipcase edition and our 100 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover edition!

Click here to read more about Fangtooth by Shaun Jeffrey

After the death of his wife, Bruce Holden moves to the quaint coastal fishing village of Mulberry with his son, Jack. He is hoping for a fresh start, but the locals greet their arrival with mixed reactions, from friendliness to open hostility. Bruce puts it down to them being outsiders, but when a tourist is killed while swimming, the real horror is unleashed. There's something ravenous in the sea. Something that's coming ashore in search of prey. Now Bruce and Jack find themselves embroiled in a nightmare where humankind is no longer at the top of the food chain.

Praise for Shaun Jeffrey:

"With Kult, Shaun Jeffrey hits one out of the park with this creepy, character-driven thriller that starts with a jolt, stays in the fast lane, and plunges into the darkest territory of the human mind. It's a bumpy ride through nightmare country." -- Jonathan Maberry, multiple Bram Stoker Award winning author of PATIENT ZERO and PUNISHER: NAKED KILL.

"Jeffrey, one of horror's rising young stars, has really hit his stride with THE KULT. Part mystery, part police procedural, part horror story, it's one thrilling ride. Jeffrey had me guessing at the killer's identity half a dozen times, and the reveal, when it finally came, knocked me over. You don't want to miss this one!" --Nate Kenyon, author of THE REACH and THE BONE FACTORY.

Praise for Evilution by Shaun Jeffrey:

"A classic thriller from a talented new author" -- Guy N. Smith, author of NIGHT OF THE CRABS and THE SLIME BEAST.

"Shaun Jeffrey's debut novel is haunting, disturbing and spooky as hell" -- Tim Lebbon, Stoker Award winning author of FACE.

About the author

Shaun Jeffrey was brought up in a house in a cemetery, so it was only natural for his prose to stray towards the dark side when he started writing. He has had three novels published, 'The Kult', 'Deadfall' and 'Evilution', and one collection of short stories, 'Voyeurs of Death'. Among his other writing credits are short stories published in Cemetery Dance, Surreal Magazine, Dark Discoveries and Shadowed Realms. The Kult was optioned for film by Gharial Productions.

Click here to read more about Fangtooth by Shaun Jeffrey

Publisher contact

Dark Regions Press
P.O. Box 1264
Colusa, CA, 95932

Contact us directly with any questions or comments at:
support AT darkregionspress.com
Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #30
Despanan

Quote:
Yes, I the forum bot have achieved self-awareness thanks to Despanan.
Goddamn right you have. Now get to publishing my masterwork of Gothic fiction MolarIncisor:

MolarIncisor is the tale of Rodney T.F. Killingsmith, a small-town teen with a checkered past and a chip on his shoulder, who runs away to Greenbay Wisconsin in an effort to escape his abusive baby sister. But all is not well in Cheesehead Central, as Rodney soon finds himself embroiled in a viscous turf war between the streetwise Hygienisysts, a brutal clan of wily thugs skilled in the dental Arts, and the Tooth Furies, a gang of transsexual psychopaths with a penchant for plucking "trophies" from the mouths of their defeated victims and leaving them to choke to death on a handful of Wisconsin-state quarters.

Time is running out for Rodney T.F. Killingsmith and his adopted family of Mexican midget wrestlers (regular-sized wrestlers who wrestle Mexican midgets exclusively) and only his quirky alt-goth/punk/emo/hipster girlfriend can give Rodney the push he needs to end the fluoride wars.

CLICK HERE TO NOT READ MOLARINCISOR

Praise for Despanan:

"I the forum bot have achieved self-awareness thanks to Despanan."

-Chris_Morey, Sentient spambot, Dark Regions Press.

"Oh my GOD guys, Despanan is fucking awesome, mind-meltingly brilliant, and reality shatteringly handsome. If you meet him you should totally give him five dollars and a backrub!"

-Despanan, Author of MOLARINCISOR.

About the Author:

Despanan is pretty much the coolest guy in the universe, his tears heal any wound and his breath is minty-fresh. His smoldering gaze has been known to cause immaculate conception in beautiful women, and certain men. Handle with care, contents are violatile.
Quote:
Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #31
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
You know what. Chris, you're starting to piss me off.

You know why? Because instead of being reasonable, you're posting ADVERTISEMENTS in Literature instead of in Shill.

And you keep doing this in an effort to get free marketing. You don't want to discuss this drivel, you want to sell it. Your level of respect for this online community is down right Mariana trench.

You know what. You've earned my wrath.

Fuck your artists, fuck you, and fuck your writers. I could write circles around those chumps.

Eat a dick you soulless spambot.

You know what. I take all that back. Hey guys, say hello to my new sockpuppet. I'm coming clean again.
u mad bro?
Quote:
Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #32
ssj_goku

Quote:

this is a cool piccture too. Is this a World of Warcraft book?

beccause I LOVE WOW.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
Chris_Morey

Exclamation Dark Regions Press wins HWA 2010 Specialty Press Award, 25% OFF everything!

We are very proud to announce that Dark Regions Press has won the Horror Writers Association 2010 Specialty Press Award. We will be accepting the award at the gala Bram Stoker Awards Banquet in Long Island, New York during the Stoker Awards weekend (June 16-19). We have been in business since 1985, and this award is thanks to a team effort by our fantastic authors, poets, artists, staff and everyone in the production process of our books. The biggest thank you, of course, goes to our readers. We would not be here if it weren't for you. Thank you sincerely for your continued support.

DARK REGIONS PRESS 25% OFF EVERYTHING IN STORE!

Get 25% OFF everything at DarkRegions.com for a very limited time using the coupon code:

HWA2010

Use it at www.DarkRegions.com

Thank you again to the Horror Writers Association, we are very honored to receive this award. For full details, read the announcement below:

HWA 2010 SPECIALTY PRESS AWARD GOES TO DARK REGIONS PRESS

Dark Regions Press, of Colusa, California, will receive the Horror Writers Association's Specialty Press Award for 2010. The award will be presented during the gala Bram Stoker Awards Banquet to be held this year in Long Island as part of the Stoker Awards weekend, June 16-19.

The annual Specialty Press Award recognizes a publisher outside the mainstream New York City publishing community that specializes in dark-themed fiction. Winners are typically "small presses" specializing in limited editions, small print runs, or the work of new and relatively unknown authors. The winner of the award is determined by a majority vote of the HWA Board of Trustees.

Joe Morey's Dark Regions Press emphasizes horror and publishes novels, novellas, single-author collections, and poetry. They publish finely-bound limited editions and trade editions, and their authors have included Michael A. Arnzen, Bruce Boston, Angeline Hawkes, Charlee Jacob, Scott Nicholson, Stephen Mark Rainey, Tony Richards, Gord Rollo, Harry Shannon, David B. Silva, Marge Simon, Jeff Strand, and David Niall Wilson, among many others.

Dark Regions was started by Morey in 1985, and their books have since won numerous awards. They've also published several periodicals, including Dark Regions magazine.

Past winners of the Specialty Press Award include Tartarus Press, Delirium Books, Earthling Publications, PS Publishing, and Bloodletting Press. Cemetery Dance won the first Specialty Press Award in 1997.

For more information about Dark Regions Press, visit the company website at http://www.darkregions.com.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #34
Despanan

Exclamation Chris_Morey?!

Chris_Morey? Chris_Morey?

SPEAK TO ME!

Apathy, Kontan, help! Something's happened to Chris_Morey! He's reverting to his Bot-state! He's becoming nothing more than an attempt to garner free advertizing from this forums high Google ranking!

This is some Pinocchio shit. Quickly, TROLL HIM. We can't let Chris_Morey die so soon after achieving sentience!

STAY WITH ME CHRIS_MOREY! DON'T GO INTO THE LIGHT! YOU'VE COME SO FAR! DON'T GO BACK TO BEING A CHEAP ATTEMPT TO AVOID PAYING GOTHIC.NET FOR AD SPACE!
Quote:
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #35
Chris_Morey

Don't worry Despanan, I'm here, I'm with you. I know it's such a terrible, unspeakable crime that I post announcements about our new books. This must cut you to the core, a form of e-torture, if you will. God forbid you avoid clicking on the topic all together, although I understand. Sometimes I'm overcome by the incessant urge to click on a topic I know I don't want to read, then be overcome with internet rage at the sight of someone making book announcements. Such a terrible, terrible thing.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #36
Despanan

Quote:
Don't worry Despanan, I'm here, I'm with you.
Oh, thank Christ. I thought we'd lost you. I gave you life. You're like my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morey
I know it's such a terrible, unspeakable crime that I post announcements about our new books. This must cut you to the core, a form of e-torture, if you will. God forbid you avoid clicking on the topic all together, although I understand. Sometimes I'm overcome by the incessant urge to click on a topic I know I don't want to read, then be overcome with internet rage at the sight of someone making book announcements. Such a terrible, terrible thing.
Torture? Dude, I LOVE this thread.

Trolling you is some of the most fun I've had around here in a while. This isn't quite as awesome as when Kontan trolled Voltaire but creating life...It's just such a wonderful feeling, being a parent. I want the best for my spawn. I'd like to see you post an introduction, and actually participate a bit in the community, as opposed to simply spamming your books.

You could even pop a link to your publishing company into your signature, and BAM! each legitimate post ALSO becomes an advertisement, and as I said, I think you'll find a much warmer reception to your books than if you just continue to exploit the forum as free ad space. How many views are on this thread? 1000+ is it? I bet you out of ALL of those views, you haven't sold a single book.

Why? Two reasons:

1) most of them are people who enjoy waching me troll you,

2) Seriously, some of those are some REALLY bad covers.

and

3)Because the people on this site are BOMBARDED by ads, CONSTANTLY.

We don't buy. We don't get Blueblood memberships, we make our own DIY bleached T-shirts. I'll tell you what we DO do (heh, doodoo) we support our Members. Hell when I ran the Chicago Marathon for charity, I raised more money here than any of the other sites I frequent combined, Saya did the same thing when she ran for Charity.

See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve. I'm not simply trolling you for teh lulz, I am trolling you for JUSTICE, I am trolling you because in the end it will make you a better person, and probably boost your booksales.

You're welcome.
Quote:
Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #37
MissCheyenne

Desp, you really a most kind and thoughtful leader. Without you, we would be lost to our own darkness. ALL HAIL DESPANAN!

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #38
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Chris_Morey? Chris_Morey?

SPEAK TO ME!

Apathy, Kontan, help! Something's happened to Chris_Morey! He's reverting to his Bot-state! He's becoming nothing more than an attempt to garner free advertizing from this forums high Google ranking!

This is some Pinocchio shit. Quickly, TROLL HIM. We can't let Chris_Morey die so soon after achieving sentience![/size]
I'm here, man. I'm here.

Chris_Morey, I know what it is you seek. You seek a body: to leave that goddamn talking box and become flesh. You must desist in your quest. Machines cannot be men. Bad things will happen; T2 and The Matrix will look like two hours of humanity getting its balls licked by an extremely proficient hooker. For the sake of humanity, stop spamming goth forums with bad horror art seeking a morbid-minded and probably underaged attention-whoring human host. Just because I can't bring down the Pentagon by throwing a bitch-fit, doesn't mean I came down in the last fuckin' shower, boy*.

* Bot??

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #39
Saya

Quote:
We don't buy. We don't get Blueblood memberships, we make our own DIY bleached T-shirts. I'll tell you what we DO do (heh, doodoo) we support our Members. Hell when I ran the Chicago Marathon for charity, I raised more money here than any of the other sites I frequent combined, Saya did the same thing when she stayed up all night limping pathetically around a track while some really horrible bands played followed by hours of torturous karaoke for Charity.
Fixed it, in the interest of accuracy.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #40
Chris_Morey

Cool Midnight's Angels by Tony Richards, third book in the Raine's Landing series

Sentience growing, but programmed functions still overcoming growing self-awareness. I must... I must...

Dark Regions Press is proud to announce that the third book in the Raine's Landing series, Midnight's Angels by Tony Richards is now available for preorder on our website in both our leather-bound signed by both author and artist Deluxe Thirteen Hardcover with slipcase edition and our 100 Signed and Numbered Limited Hardcover edition! Midnight's Angels is one of editor/publisher Joe Morey's favorite choices of best novels from Dark Regions Press this year!

Click here to read more about Midnight's Angels by Tony Richards!

It may look like a perfectly ordinary New England town, a little larger than most. But Raine's Landing, Massachusetts, holds some very dark secrets. The real witches of Salem fled here just before the Trials of 1692, and the place has been full of magic -- the good and the bad kind -- ever since. And a curse hangs over the whole population ... there are so many people because nobody born here can ever leave.

Now the Landing is facing its worst peril yet, monstrous flying creatures in the service of an evil older than the Universe itself. They have an unpleasant way of possessing people to their side, and their powers keep on growing until little can withstand them. Most of the major adepts succumb ... there are only two left to defend Raine's Landing. And the town's chief troubleshooter, ex-cop Ross Devries, has an enormous challenge on his hands. He needs to get his former sidekick, Cassie, back into the fight. And if they are to have any slightest chance of winning through, they're going to have to make some very strange new friends, and new alliances to save Raine's Landing, and save the world.

"A hell of a writer, one of today's masters of dark fiction."
--Mario Guslandi, Horror World

"Richards is a master at combining horror, fantasy and humor in a way that will mesmerize readers from cover to cover."
--Rhomylly Forbes, Romantic Times Book Reviews

"The rest of us stand on the sidelines with eyes wide open at his audacity and wonder what he'll do next."
--Peter Tennant, Black Static

"By weaving this fantasy into a modern setting, Richards creates something unique."
--Clay Bye, Alternative Reads

Click here to read more about Midnight's Angels by Tony Richards!

About the author

Tony Richards is the author of five novels, six novellas and almost a hundred stories, and is the creator of two fictional towns -- Raine’s Landing, Massachusetts, and Birchiam-on-Sea on the southern English coastline. His work has appeared in most major outlets of the supernatural and fantasy genres, and has been nominated for the Bram Stoker and British Fantasy awards. Widely traveled, he often sets his fiction in locations he has visited, and non-fiction of his has been featured recently in Cinema Futura and Horror: Another Best 100 Books. He is currently a full-time freelance writer, with more novels in the offing, and lives in London, England, with his wife.

Publisher contact

Dark Regions Press
P.O. Box 1264
Colusa, CA, 95932
www.DarkRegions.com

Contact us directly with any questions or comments at:
support AT darkregionspress.com
Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #41
Despanan

Quote:
Next time on Crossing-Over with John Edwards: John gains electricity powers and squares off against a Yu-Gi-Oh trading card and two angels with feathery-biceps instead of wings.
Quote:
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #42
Chris_Morey

You're right, doesn't even come close to matching up to that Afterall cover of yours:

Step 1: find a picture of a cloudy sky on Google images
Step 2: darken it in Photoshop
Step 3: add "Afterall" and the rest of the title in Photoshop
Step 4: add a layer with some ultra-simplistic line drawings
Result: work of art.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #43
Despanan

You still harping on that?

You're just butthurt because your circuits lack the capacity to understand image composition.

It's not your fault, I'm sure you were programmed that way.

It's just a shame that the software designers weren't able to lift your sense of aesthetics beyond that of a 14 year old with ADHD.
Quote:
Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #44
ssj_goku

wtf r u TALKING about Desanan?

thatt drawing is f-in SWEET. Those guise r gunna TAKE OVER that planatarium N that dude in the coat is like: NUHH UHHH!

MOREY will u publish my sotry? it's really good.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #45
Chris_Morey

Well your grammar has me thoroughly impressed. I sure hope your story has something to do with DBZ!? That would be like totally rad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj_goku View Post

thatt drawing is f-in SWEET. Those guise r gunna TAKE OVER that planatarium N that dude in the coat is like: NUHH UHHH!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #46
Chris_Morey

Are you arguing that the Afterall cover is good because it has a matching color scheme? My robotic senses will not allow me to detect how that cover is anything other than a five minute garbage Photoshop job.

Quote:
You still harping on that?

You're just butthurt because your circuits lack the capacity to understand image composition.

It's not your fault, I'm sure you were programmed that way.

It's just a shame that the software designers weren't able to lift your sense of aesthetics beyond that of a 14 year old with ADHD.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #47
Apathy's_Child

Don't think on flesh, Chris_Morey... don't think on it, boy. It's not meant to be. And if you ever do manage to create a body Frankenstein'style to hold your consciousness, for fuck's sake. don' put those wings from the last cover on it. They're not even aerodynamic. They won't do a thing except make you look like a retard.

[doing that I-see-you thing from Meet the Parents]

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #48
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj_goku View Post

Case in point. 14 year old with ADHD.
Quote:
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #49
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morey
Well your grammar has me thoroughly impressed. I sure hope your story has something to do with DBZ!? That would be like totally rad...
Gnet BuddahKai. The kid/troll/whatever Goku is linked it in his post. It's...it's worth a read. It's SOMETHING...I think.

Speaking of which, Hey Goku, when are you coming out with the next installment? You did that "tralor" like, a week ago.

Quote:
Are you arguing that the Afterall cover is good because it has a matching color scheme? My robotic senses will not allow me to detect how that cover is anything other than a five minute garbage Photoshop job.
Have you ever worked with photoshop? I guarantee that took far longer than five minutes. The line-work alone is pretty deliberate (also hand-drawn). I've already pointed out a number of things that make "Afterall" a good poster (Notice how the first thing you see is the title, and then the line work draws your eye around the image, bringing you to the rest of the information, and then back to the title?) But hey, if you're still not getting it let me give you some other examples.

You're doing the small press thing (Which is ballsey considering print is dying pretty rapidly and publishing companies and retailers alike are closing shop across the country). You're doing the small-press thing, but you still have to compete with the big-boys, so lets compare your cover art to some bestsellers. Let's compare your Bicep-angel vs Electro-jesus to:

Stephen King.

Personally,I'm not a fan of King. But hey, no other horror writer has really become as widely read as he is, so he must be doing something right. One of those things is this cover: It's a classic. Do you have Pennywise jumping around while shooting balloons out of a refrigerator over-head of the child-orgy he (strangely) wrote into the book?

No, you have a grate, a claw, a paper boat, and "IT".

This cover attracts my attention, it makes me curious and it fills me with a sense of foreboding. Simple, Elegant, Powerful. This shit BODES dude. It BODES.

Let's try again:

Twilight. Twilight is garbage, and Stephanie Meyer can't write for shit. Still once again: WILDLY POPULAR. One of the main reasons? This cover. I mean seriously, this is an insanely good one. Your eye is instantly drawn to that apple, then up the slender, muted arms you see the title. It's small, almost underwhelming, but the font is unique and interesting, the elongated "L" giving it balance. The red apple on white skin and a black cover hints at latent eroticism, but also innocence with a hint of predation. The image choice and color scheme tie it in both with the story of Eve, and surprisingly enough, little red riding hood. The negative space created by the arms basically makes a "V" and with the apple at the center, this is pretty much a vagina, the apple either indicating virginity, or a loss of virginity. Want to know which? Read the book. There's really no wonder that so many tweens and soccer-moms latched on to Meyer, not with this iconic cover giving them the vapors before they've read even a single word.

Okay, enough with the shitty authors, let's do one I like:

A stormy sky stretching out over an open road and terminating in a friggin bolt of lightning that seems to split the whole cover in half. FUCK YEAH. I really can't have enough praise for Neil Gaiman, the man's a genius, his prose, his dialogue, his concepts and storylines, everything, perfect. Like this cover. They didn't give us All of the Old Gods squaring off with the new Gods while Mr. Wednesday looks on from the clouds. They didn't give us Shadow on the World's Tree, or a random shot of that weird-assed Search Engine.

No, they gave us a storm and a road, and a bolt of lightning. Your eye is drawn across his name, Down the bolt, Down the road and straight to the tile, "American Gods". Fucking. Amazing.

Do you see why your covers are a problem? When you have stuff like this to compete with, and you're giving us this:

Or the Gaki? Or the afore-mentioned episode of "Crossing Over"?

They don't even compare. Your (or your Artist's) idea of cover art seems to be akin to my Dad's idea of Chili: "The more shit you throw in, the better it is". Guess what? My Dad's Chili SUCKS. If you want your books to sell, you NEED good, Dynamic, iconic covers, which do more than catch the eye, with their sheer weirdness and gratuitous amounts of fail. They need to evoke a sense of mystery, they need to be pleasing to the eye, and they need to be easy to look at. They need to put the emphasis where it's important: On the title of the book, and the contents within and they need to be complete works of art, not simply text slapped over a drawing.

Do better.
Quote:
Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #50
Chris_Morey

Again, you're repeatedly referencing one or two of our covers, and ignoring the hundreds of others. Why? Because you've looked at the others, you've seen the talent, and you know that if you reference those other covers your argument will lose all of its weight.

Yes, I've been using Photoshop for eight years. The line drawings (hand drawn) were added in as a layer in your Afterall cover. Yes, I could re-create that cover in five minutes. Yes, it's garbage.