Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #151
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vja110570
I'm not sure I quite follow what you meant by "another bullshit religion meant to make money for someone". Would you care to elaborate please?
Wicca. The religion's purpose was for a guy to sell books

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #152
vja110570

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Wicca. The religion's purpose was for a guy to sell books
Ah, I see what you mean. I don't follow along with how Gerald Gardner did it. I am very much a solitary practitioner. Thank you for clarifying!
vja110570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #153
PortraitOfSanity

That's like saying you're a Catholic, but then saying you don't follow what the Pope does...

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #154
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
That's like saying you're a Catholic, but then saying you don't follow what the Pope does...
Actually, it's more like saying you're a Christian, but you don't believe in any of that weird Jesus stuff.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #155
Godslayer Jillian

I don't like when people say they dislike THE CHURCH, but not THE RELIGON.
Why?
Religion is inherently hierarchical and authoritarian. It's almost a contradiction to keep saying the religion is true but not the institution.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #156
mindless1

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean. I don't follow along with how Gerald Gardner did it. I am very much a solitary practitioner. Thank you for clarifying!

I think he invented it based upon Aleister Crowley; his original draft of his 'book of shadows' was based upon Aleister Crowley, some of the rites were. The idea of each 'witch' carrying a book of shadows and keeping it a secret was a way of propogating his cult, he told his members of the witch cult to write down his book word for word as to trick people to believing that these books were the real deal. Wicca is a religion based off a cult. Wiccans believe that Witches are Wiccans, when Wicca in fact is just so different.

Witchcraft predates Christianity but is not isolated to one culture.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #157
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Religion is inherently hierarchical and authoritarian. It's almost a contradiction to keep saying the religion is true but not the institution.
While most major world religions do incorporate some element of fealty to a higher power, I can easily conceive of a religion that didn't encourage its followers to acknowledge or operate within a hierarchy.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #158
mindless1

Not many. Not even Unitarian Universalists....
Old 01-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #159
gothicusmaximus

I don't know of any, probably because the escapist impulse that spawns religions often manifests as a desire for some spectral nanny to protect one and make one's decisions, but I can imagine one, and I'm sure one exists somewhere.
I'm just saying its not impossible to reconcile spirituality with independence from hierarchy.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #160
mindless1

You made a point but can you name at least one?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #161
Magila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Well, I think there are problems with (1) and (2), but let me just concede both of those for the sake of argument. So we'll assume (3), that the universe had a beginning.

I'm still not seeing how you go from (3) to (4). It looks like several steps are missing in between. Would you care to fill them in for me?
Sovetcke @ hotmail dot com

let's talk there.
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #162
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless1
As I said, I don't know of any, primarily because such a belief system would, by nature, be confined to a small group, as dissemination of the faith in the absence of an establishment to issue official decrees and such is difficult. However, consider a group that worships an aspected deity, an equal part of which divinity's consciousness dwells in the soul of every person, or an animistic faith that holds no shaman or sorcerer to have a greater capacity for spiritual communion than anyone else. It's not too difficult to imagine.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #163
Godslayer Jillian

It's actually quite beautiful to imagine. Why can't people believe that, instead of that women are a fucking rib tumor?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #164
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I think it's people who are inherently hierarchical, and they create religions based on that. There's nothing saying that there could be a divine being that is equal to everyone else. Th...
Wait. Never mind. I think you're right, Jillian. People needed creator figures, so they created things with superpowers (though not necessarily supermorality). A deity without superpowers is an imaginary human/animal.

Also, most religions I think have been corrupted from what they originally were. They lose their point after a while. People start seeking power and twisting things to their advantage and creating hierarchies.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #165
Saya

Even the religions that emphasizes individual effort (like Buddhism and Taoism) have a sort of hierarchy, a student-teacher relationship. And whats weird about that is even though you're not supposed to take the words of your teacher as holy undisputable truth, some people do say "Well MY teacher said......" and won't question them. I can't really think of any religion that doesn't even have teachers :/
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #166
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Even religions that wouldn't have a teacher-student hierarchy would probably have a deity-human hierarchy.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #167
mindless1

That's because humans are morons. And no one is independent.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #168
MiaMore

You acknowledge there is a God... therefore, you have faith.

Your title seems a bit redundant. I'm guessing you are young.

It's good to question things, especially when it comes to your belief system.

I hope you find the answer you are searching for.

{I didn't quote here because it seems a bit silly to have your initial post all over this thread}
MiaMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #169
Drake Dun

Quote:
I must interject here. I think that people on here are content to think that Christianity is an evil religion... The original ideas were to value others above yourself and to lead a cheerfully fulfulling life. The confusion comes in when people associate the essence of the religion with the church heirarchy...
If you define the religion on the basis of the collective beliefs of people who currently adopt the label, that's wrong. If you define it on the basis of what's written in its holy text... that's still wrong, because that holy text is the process of an editorial process carried out by a power structure of exactly the sort you're talking about. If you go back even further and define it on the basis of what was said by its seminal figures and by early believers... you're right, and wrong, and both and neither, since there is no consistency at that stage. So in any case we have no position to stand in and say that the "real" Christianity is good and all the bad stuff is the fault of the church.

If you have a particular interpretation of Christian ideas which renders it harmless, more power to you. Just don't go pretending that it's representative of something that it isn't.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #170
Drake Dun

Quote:
You have to go to crank.net for stuff like that. The big, visible religions are all the vicious hierarchical ones, presumably because being vicious and hierarchical is a good way to become big and visible. Check out crank.net and you'll find no end of cool whacky belief systems. I can read that stuff for hours. And yes, some of them are touching and beautiful. Others... not so much, lol
Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #171
Saya

Do Jainists have a hierarchy?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #172
Drake Dun

Interesting question. I don't know anything about them other than what I read today on Wikipedia. They sound like a good bunch, assuming the article is fair.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #173
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
I think he invented it based upon Aleister Crowley
*palmface*

-Mr. Filth
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #174
vja110570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
If you define the religion on the basis of the collective beliefs of people who currently adopt the label, that's wrong. If you define it on the basis of what's written in its holy text... that's still wrong, because that holy text is the process of an editorial process carried out by a power structure of exactly the sort you're talking about. If you go back even further and define it on the basis of what was said by its seminal figures and by early believers... you're right, and wrong, and both and neither, since there is no consistency at that stage. So in any case we have no position to stand in and say that the "real" Christianity is good and all the bad stuff is the fault of the church.

If you have a particular interpretation of Christian ideas which renders it harmless, more power to you. Just don't go pretending that it's representative of something that it isn't.
I see. Well, I never was an expert in Christianity, so I apologize for the mistake.
vja110570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #175
Drake Dun

No worries. You're definitely right that the Catholic church has been responsible from some pretty screwed up stuff, anyway.