Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

View Poll Results: What do you think of michael moore?
I love him! he's a genius! 7 10.94%
i've been a fan for a long time 7 10.94%
he's pretty good at what he does 26 40.63%
he's stupid and ignorant 6 9.38%
he's annoying and boring 5 7.81%
he should stop making movies 13 20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2004, 02:40 PM   #51
Sandmanhero

hate

Seems to be the general consensus that everyone hate michael moore becuase he's trying to hawk his movie as a documentary, etc.

Yes, he is against bush, but in his film 9/11, he brings up alot more then just opinions of bush. he backs them with facts. You can't deny Bushs involment with oil, his history of business. his was records, etc. leaving out everything in the movie that was opinion, alot, i know, tell me how you can ignore the facts?
Sandmanhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:57 PM   #52
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
guilty as charged, jane.
guilty as charged.

- mark
I want to appologize now. I feel guilty... I pointed out little mistakes before I found out you were really cool. You haven't posted in a while, but it needed to be said.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #53
Sandmanhero

irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I have a HUGE problem with Michael Moore, to the point where I can't even bear to see/hear his name...
But it has nothing to do with anything mentioned so far...
My brother, age 15, has decided to accept anything & everything Michael Moore says as gospel. If Michael Moore said that Bush shat nuclear weapons, and we were using Bush-shit to bomb Iraq, my brother would demand that we confiscate all of our president's feces and destroy it. He doesn't even question what he's told! So yes, I hate Michael Moore, but only because he turned my brother into a mindless drone. He told my brother (through his movies, and in my brother's perception) that the government, and everything else in his adolescent life, lies, and the only truth-teller is him, Michael Moore.
There is such a thing as TOO extreme...
that's the same reason i hate Organized religion! they turned my sister into a puppet. I miss my sister. She used to be so smart when she thought for herself...but i digress

I certainly don't believe in taking what michael moore says as truth. he's definitly biased. But i just want to know about the facts.
Sandmanhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #54
Soul_Immortal

Perhaps I'm a little to passive and will just say that Farenheit 9/11 is a movie he did. Haven't seen it, or Passion of the Christ yet. And it seems both have a good amount of controversy. Might not see either, but who knows. I might be switching channels late one night,....

*Soul*
Old 09-04-2004, 01:34 PM   #55
Jane13

I don't have cable, either. MY mom wants to get it, but I think it would be just another 300 channels of nothing good to watch. I'm sorry about your brother, X. Like I've said before, I think "Roger and Me" was his best film. He actually delivered information and a bit of humor without beig so damn cocky and self-riteous.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-04-2004, 01:45 PM   #56
WolfMoon

Re: hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmanhero
Seems to be the general consensus that everyone hate michael moore becuase he's trying to hawk his movie as a documentary, etc.

Yes, he is against bush, but in his film 9/11, he brings up alot more then just opinions of bush. he backs them with facts. You can't deny Bushs involment with oil, his history of business. his was records, etc. leaving out everything in the movie that was opinion, alot, i know, tell me how you can ignore the facts?
Sure, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true.

But, seriously you can't take most of his movie seriously.He takes things out of context and shows things how he wants you to see them not how they really are.So what's the difference between him and any other politician?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:02 PM   #57
Soul_Immortal

Cable? Putting words in my mouth much here?

Never said I had cable. 2nd level of cable here is 48 channels of nothing but TBS, SciFi and Nickelodeon. 3rd level being Digital.

Lemme rephrase what I said.....

I might be switching the few channels we CAN AFFORD late one night, and TBS might have a showing of......

*Soul*
Old 09-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #58
Jane13

sorry :oops: I like your signature, soul.
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-04-2004, 09:08 PM   #59
Soul_Immortal

NO!!! Haha Jane I was just bein sarcastic

Pwease don't wun away...:-(

Thanks! Hubby mentioned needing something for his EQ game, something about a coffin and poof it entered my head. :P
Old 09-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #60
TeapotScar

Personally, I like Michael Moore... his passion for politics reminds me of when my mother started hysterically crying when it was clear Bush was going to take office in 2001. Obviously, he has his faults, but his heart is in the right place and that's more than I can say for our current president...

On an exciting note- HE'S COMING TO MY COLLEGE THIS MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:00 AM   #61
edible_eye

jane -

i came to browse and have to say - i was really touched by your apology to me, even though it wasn't necessary. way back when, i took your response as a tongue-in-cheek slap on the wrist for the way i mangle basic and first-learned writing rules, which of course just made me smile. tstone did the same at some point and to tell the truth, just about everywhere i post i'm told i need to clean it up cuz it's not the way writers write.

anyway, that's not why i'm posting now. i just wanted to say - "Thanks. That was really nice of you. Thoughtful, too." - and to top it off, i wrote it correctly. hope all is well with you.

- mark
Old 09-17-2004, 07:31 PM   #62
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
Personally, I like Michael Moore... his passion for politics reminds me of when my mother started hysterically crying when it was clear Bush was going to take office in 2001. Obviously, he has his faults, but his heart is in the right place and that's more than I can say for our current president...

On an exciting note- HE'S COMING TO MY COLLEGE THIS MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
Wow,I totally feel for you babe.Sorry.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:01 PM   #63
Disfunction

Here comes my sleep-deprived opinion:

I like Michael Moore, and I am a fan. I don't take his words as infallable, and don't view him as omniscient, I DO, however, value the fact that he uses his money, position, etc to bring actual ideas to the socio-political spotlight, rather than it just being a matter of things that people converse about but never take into account since the media never really addressed it.

If someone accepts what someone says as the truth, you can't blame the person that spoke, only the person that mindlessly let it soak in. I don't like the one-sidedness of his arguments, but I also know that if he were to present both sides of the story, the balance would still be unfairly stacked in the favour of the media which has been on fairly good terms with the Bush administration.

CNN reported last night that the fate of Iraq looks "bleak." I've been harping about how it's a stupid fucking idea to force democracy on a politically volatile climate, but of course people harped right back at me saying that once they were allowed an process of democracy, they would never allow a reign of tyranny to rise anew... Keep your eye out for an "I told you so" further down the road.

In light of all of this, I find it desperately hard to understand why people would find it so easy to take up arms against MM, yet not utter one single word of protest towards the ever-biased systems of media in the US. Then when a foreigner decides to express their own opinion, many Americans see fit to disregard their opinion, as they "have no right to make comments on the American government." The standard argument is that the election will not affect us, which is of course complete utter bullshit. But I digress.

Feel free to criticize Michael Moore as an individual that freely dumps his equally biased anti-bush propaganda... But keep in mind that it's a two-way street, and that if you are going to take aim at one source, you should take the time to aim your sights on everyone else that enacts the same behaviour.

And in honour of my seething hatred of Bush, and the completely sloppy manner in which this ENTIRE conflict has gone about:

Anyone interest that has cable, I highly suggest watching this educational tidbit about the fuckup of the US... er... president.
http://movies01.archive.org/opensour...hole_truth.wmv
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #64
WolfMoon

He's just a loud-mouthed blow hard that got all depressed because he didn't get the attention he wanted at the awards ceremony he used as his political soap box.I'll never take anything the man says seriously because his ideas are absolutely ludicrous.Trying to blatantly say that Bush and Bin Laden staged 9-11 to get money?Please.And trying to re-enforce the moronic opinion that the whole war is about oil.

As I said before he lies,he takes things out of context,he tries to use propaganda to get people to believe him.So how is he any better than Bush?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:17 PM   #65
Disfunction

Because he's got the physique of a roman gladiator?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:37 PM   #66
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
Because he's got the physique of a roman gladiator?
HA hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

I seriously hope you are joking because that fat piece of lard probably couldn't heft a real sword if his pathetic life depended on it.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:38 PM   #67
Disfunction

Retired binge eating gladiator, but a gladiator nonetheless...
Old 09-17-2004, 09:05 PM   #68
WolfMoon

I think he's more like Oprah,full of hot air.Gladiators had to fight for their lives.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:18 AM   #69
Disfunction

Ok... Ummm... I only said physique... never said personality.

Actually... Oprah had a really shitty life, I can respect her because she dealt with a lot of bullshit.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:36 AM   #70
Jane13

Oprah reminds me of my friend's mom. She gave me a half-an-hour speech about what a wonderful person I am and that I shouldn't have been wearing a shirt that said "Dork". My brother gave me that shirt for my birthday, and she was on a LOT of pills... god, she pratically gave her daughter oxy cotton for a head-ache. Eh, she has a weird kind of personality that reminds me of Oprah. sorry for the off-topicness.
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #71
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Oprah reminds me of my friend's mom. She gave me a half-an-hour speech about what a wonderful person I am and that I shouldn't have been wearing a shirt that said "Dork". My brother gave me that shirt for my birthday, and she was on a LOT of pills... god, she pratically gave her daughter oxy cotton for a head-ache. Eh, she has a weird kind of personality that reminds me of Oprah. sorry for the off-topicness.
My dear,you nailed it.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:49 PM   #72
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Trying to blatantly say that Bush and Bin Laden staged 9-11 to get money?Please.And trying to re-enforce the moronic opinion that the whole war is about oil.
...have you ever seen one of his movies?

...and what the fuck happened to your spacebar?
Old 09-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #73
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
...have you ever seen one of his movies?
Yeah, that damn "Bowling for Columbine". This girl had seen it already and wanted to take me, her treat.

Glad she paid.

A little boy gets ahold of his uncle's gun and shoots a little girl, and he manages to finger Dick Clark as the culprit, no shit.

Whatta douchebag.

I've heard about his latest movie.

"Der...here's Bush looking bewildered after learning of the attacks..."

Where do I start?

Firstly he was shocked, as were we all. He's human you know.

Secondly he was told to keep a hush on it and finish up so as not to cause a panic. He was with kids you buttfucks.

That man handled 9/11 like no other would have, especially Gore.

The crap about the Saudis and the planes later turned out to be shit.

More like "mockumentry".

527 if I've ever seen one. 527 is a "third party" group that puts out political ads usually bashing the opposition, but in this case it could relate to Moore's weight.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:03 PM   #74
TeapotScar

I think that Bush did a good job when he went into Afghanstan, as they were openly harboring a terrorist.

That was the only time I was glad Bush won instead of Gore.

When Bush took the offensive in Iraq, he was out of line. Even republicans think so:
Republican Senator John McCain: "We made serious mistakes."

Republican Senator Chuch Hagel: "The fact is, we're in deep trouble in Iraq ... and I think we're going to have to look at some recalibration of policy."

...and a quote from the Democratic Senator Joe Biden: "Dick Lugar, Joe Biden, Chuck Hagel, John McCain -- we are all on the same page. It is us and the administration. This has been incompetence so far."
Old 09-19-2004, 10:36 PM   #75
AlKilyu

"What we need now is not just a regime change in Saddam Hussein and Iraq, but we need a regime change in the United States"

"If America is at war, I won't speak a word without measuring how it'll sound to the guys doing the fighting when they're listening to their radios in the desert."

"If Saddam Hussein is unwilling to bend to the international community's already existing order, then he will have invited enforcement, even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act." Op-Ed, "We Still Have A Choice On Iraq,"

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."

"The threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real, but as I said, it is not new. It has been with us since the end of that war, and particularly in the last 4 years we know after Operation Desert Fox failed to force him to reaccept them, that he has continued to build those weapons. He has had a free hand for 4 years to reconstitute these weapons, allowing the world, during the interval, to lose the focus we had on weapons of mass destruction and the issue of proliferation."

"The Iraqi regime's record over the decade leaves little doubt that Saddam Hussein wants to retain his arsenal of weapons of mass destruction and to expand it to include nuclear weapons. We cannot allow him to prevail in that quest."

"Regime change has been an American policy under the Clinton administration, and it is the current policy. I support the policy. But regime change in and of itself is not sufficient justification for going to war--particularly unilaterally--unless regime change is the only way to disarm Iraq of the weapons of mass destruction pursuant to the United Nations resolution."

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."

“I don’t think anyone in the Congress is going to not give our troops ammunition, not give our troops the ability to be able to defend themselves. We’re not going to cut and run and not do the job.”

“I don’t think any United States senator is going to abandon our troops and recklessly leave Iraq to – to whatever follows as a result of simply cutting and running. That’s irresponsible. What is responsible is for the administration to do this properly now.”

"Iraq may not be the war on terror itself, but it is critical to the outcome of the war on terror, and therefore any advance in Iraq is an advance forward in that..."

Which Republican said that?
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote