Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Unimatrix 00

It's just not fair

I was looking up pictures of children in africa with aids and hunger and it's just so sad :[ Why must we be so wealthy when they have nothing to eat? I actually cried today thinking about it. Sad, I know lol.

Does anyone here get upset over this issue?
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

It is sad, but there really isn't much we can do to solve the problem.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
JCC

We could start by getting rid of the collossal debt they have to us.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimatrix 00
I was looking up pictures of children in africa with aids and hunger and it's just so sad :[ Why must we be so wealthy when they have nothing to eat? I actually cried today thinking about it. Sad, I know lol.

Yes. It is upsetting. However, I'm glad for programs that help to bring medicine, knowledge, and healthy food to such places.

I recommend visiting such places and doing some hands-on work; it's certainly an experience you'll never forget. ^_^
Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Apathy's_Child

If you're that cut up about it, here's a thought: take all the money you spend on unnecesary shit and donate it to a worthier cause.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Saya

There's lots of things you can do, donate, get involved with organizations, raise money yourself, etc. There's probably a chapter of some organization around, like Oxfam.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
JCC

Why should you donate to Oxfam and CAFOD and the other charities that are endorsed by the politicians that are against alleviating Africa's debt? Endless cycle.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
Saya

Hmmm, not too familiar with that. Any charities/organizations that are for alleviating the debt?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Why should you donate to Oxfam and CAFOD and the other charities that are endorsed by the politicians that are against alleviating Africa's debt? Endless cycle.
Because at least that way, these get something out of our comparatively privileged lifestyle. It's not perfect, but short of revolutionizing foreign policy it's the fastest and easiest way to make a difference.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Geoluhread

If you look around you, you'll see that there are people in your community that do need help... Start by doing local help, get other people to help you... You never know, one day you might get to help people abroad...

Words won't help anyone unless you get up and do something
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
If you look around you, you'll see that there are people in your community that do need help... Start by doing local help, get other people to help you... You never know, one day you might get to help people abroad...

This is true.

You can help on a local level by volunteering at a homeless shelter or collecting blankets to donate.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
MollyMac

Even if we got rid of the debt, teh primary issue is that their governments intercept US, UN and othe rinternational humanitarian aide.

But yeah, it kills me- not only what we do to each other, but what we stop doing for each other.

I feel even worse at that fucking ASPCA Sarah McLaughlin "Angel" video. I already volunteer, do TNR, and donate, but there always feels like there is something more I can do if I could only just figure it out.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
Fatbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread

I agree with Geoluhread. Work locally to aleviate hunger and deprivation, it exists in your local. The weight of the world wearies us all.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #14
PocketSizeSun

Until Africa gets leaders that aren't inept in their ability to lead and conduct foreign policy, they won't get anywhere. African leaders are notorious for being corrupt and oppressive. Unless they change, they'll just be robbed of their goods they could be exporting and trading by more well-built countries.

However, I think that poverty/hunger will always be around. Not only in Africa, but the world in general.
PocketSizeSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
Solumina

If you want to donate to a charitable organization but want to do something more than just giving money to an organization that will do god only knows what with it then you may want to take a look at Heifer International, through them you purchase animals (or shares of an animal) or projects for a family or village in need that allow that small group of people to end the cycle of poverty and to be able to independently sustain themselves. My mother has been donating through them for years, for Christmas she always gets an animal in the names of our youngest relatives and gives them a small stuffed animal to represent that animal, last year I she got a "knitting basket" (a group of four wool producing animals, I think two llamas and two sheep).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #16
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Who was it who said "Think globally, act locally."?

Anyway, as others have said do what you can in your local universe, you will be surprised with what you can accomplish. I never thought I would have personally helped corporations to contribute over $15,000 to mothers and children without health insurance to get prescriptions, dental work, diabetes exams and treatment etc. I didn't reach out to help with this effort until 4 years ago. I almost feel guilty over not having started this kind of work earlier, so many more I could have helped. It is also an eye opening experience as to how many poor and disadvantaged live right inside your neighborhood, no matter how wealthy your city.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #17
Solumina

That's true even incredibly wealthy areas have people who need your help. Back home the median income is something ridiculous like $105,000 and yet there are still plenty of people who desperately need help. Sure the homeless shelter that we have is never at capacity but the abused women and children's shelter is always over flowing and severely understaffed.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #18
killslowly

Geoluhread hit the nail in the head.

There are many things you can do. Volunteer at the local or near by shelter (yellow pages). Big sister programs should be in your locality. There are services that deliver food to the elderly and AIDS victims. You can help local children learn to read. Crap, it is a matter of actually doing it.

I thought it would be difficult, but once you get in gear, it can be done and it is very rewarding. I volunteer every year (wars not in the way of course) at one of the local shelters in Los Angeles. You will get a feeling of satisfaction that cannot be duplicated by anything else (well, maybe MDMA would do the trick).

You can also donate money to charities. I know that people will say that all the money does not go there, but it is something. Some of them even have direct deposit and will withdraw funds automatically (and send you crap loads of emails to get more, like Save The Children does to me).

Even a simple act of charity, like making 20 ham and cheese sandwiches and delivering them to the homeless will do a bit. You will get stared at and laughed at and rejected by them, but you will be able to deliver them to some happy recipients (the ones that are homeless and schizophrenics will appreciate it).

I know that these things will not feed the children in Africa, nor solve the Aids problems there, but if we would all act locally, things would be a lot better. Action action action, direct action is the answer to most problems.

I hope you get involved (^_^),

Uncle Jerry.

P.S.: even donating blood is something we should all do regardless.
killslowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #19
killslowly

Hey Unimatrix 00

How is the volunteering going? Changing your local existence?

Good Luck,

Jerry
killslowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 AM   #20
Noumi

Quote:

Yes, that sucks...
And it's not only in Africa...
I live in an island that is formed by two countries together.
The country next to mine (Haiti), is all messed up. There's a lot of corruption and you can't even walk on the street because they might attack or rob you...

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #21
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noumi
Yes, that sucks...
The country next to mine (Haiti), is all messed up. There's a lot of corruption and you can't even walk on the street because they might attack or rob you...
I'm from Thailand

And It was the same here...
Old 09-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noumi
Yes, that sucks...
Or sacrifice you to a giant chicken god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSizeSun
All political leaders are notorious for being corrupt and oppressive. Unless they are removed, they'll just rob people of their lives and liberties.
Fixed, carry on.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 AM   #23
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Or sacrifice you to a giant chicken god.
Mega Ultra Chicken? No, shhhh, he is legend!
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #24
Ebbhead

Quote:
I believe the question is, "Do they know it's Christmas?"

Oh well, back into my box.
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #25
ellelino

Well,
I have recently moved to Lebanon, and this country is like the weirdest!
in the center of the country, its like a living in the states or somthng, all newest technologies, tall building, the best international school, rules and regulations, the newest cars, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Ferraries... all over...
then when u go towards the edges, its purely islamic regions there, there's all sorts of child abuse, and no education and hunger... and this country is sooooo small, u wouldn't believe such a phenomena could be, I mean the whole country is 10,452 km!!!
ellelino is offline   Reply With Quote